The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

Once again the home nation France gets an iffy penalty.

and when they miss it they get to retake it because someone in the VAR room alerts the ref that the Nigerian keeper was 1 centimeter early off her line.

Neither calls would have gone the other way, VAR or no VAR

53 minutes ago, sne said:

Once again the home nation France gets an iffy penalty.

and when they miss it they get to retake it because someone in the VAR room alerts the ref that the Nigerian keeper was 1 centimeter early off her line.

Neither calls would have gone the other way, VAR or no VAR

Yet was encroachment for the 2nd penalty with no call

• Like 1

I'm not the biggest fan of VAR, but I'm really not sure about how it's being used for penalties for keepers. I appreciate it's upholding the letter of the law but that law seems overly harsh when VAR is applied. There has to be something preventing keepers charging down the penalty but penalising a keeper for being marginally in front of the goal line when the kick is taken is stupid. An official would usually allow a keeper to act in the spirit of the law, but not strictly adherent to it (you can't take the piss basically), whereas VAR is doing keepers for being a millimetre off the line.

The implementation is still awful as well.

• Like 2

VAR is shite. In theory it's a good idea (a lot of things are a good idea in theory), and I'm for technology for checking if the ball has crossed the line... but it's only ever going to be as good as the people implementing it, and those people seem to be complete morons for the most part. These penalty calls are a joke.

Only took 6 minutes of VAR reviewing to hand Argentina the penalty that helped them stay in the Copa America tournament.

6 minutes to decide if it was handball when the ball bounced off the leg, then the chest of the defender and on to his arm.

Sure Adidas, FIFA, Conmebol and all the sponsors are relieved that Messi got to stay in the tournament...

Remains a joke then, can’t wait for it to be used in the prem this season.

Really looking forward to 9 months of endless VAR debate on every football related show.

But who cares if no one enjoys football any longer, so long as the correct and fair decision is made every single time right?! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Really looking forward to 9 months of endless VAR debate on every football related show.

But who cares if no one enjoys football any longer, so long as the correct and fair decision is made every single time right?! 

Yeah, I'm sure that 3 minutes of waiting for a decision will absolutely kill football.

I'm throwing away my FIFA this morning and no longer interested in buying Villa tickets. 

I also have a lot of football kits going too, if anyone is after size 10 boots I have a few pairs going.

Football is dead to me now.

3 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Yeah, I'm sure that 3 minutes of waiting for a decision will absolutely kill football.

I'm throwing away my FIFA this morning and no longer interested in buying Villa tickets. 

I also have a lot of football kits going too, if anyone is after size 10 boots I have a few pairs going.

Football is dead to me now.

Did you even see the post above mine? 6 minutes for a decision that sounds incorrect (I didn’t see it myself) but yeah sure, kid yourself that this is going to be fine.

13 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Did you even see the post above mine? 6 minutes for a decision that sounds incorrect (I didn’t see it myself) but yeah sure, kid yourself that this is going to be fine.

I've seen it and I'm not sure if it's the correct call or not. Don't know which handball rules they are using at the Copa America.

The rules for next season in some leagues seem to be that if it nudges the arm no matter what it's a penalty. If so it's "correct"

Fwiw not one player on the pitch reacted to the situation, not one. Nor did the ref, he got a message in his ear piece, and then the farce began.

6 minutes and I'm pretty sure that at least 50% of the times this would not be given as a penalty, or even looked at.

Guess one can claim that it's the handball rule that is the issue...

1 minute ago, kurtsimonw said:

Was it a penalty? Yes. VAR got it right

Was the goalie off her line? Yes. VAR got it right. 

Was the timing done wrong? Yes. Inept refereeing, nothing to do with VAR. 

Was the French player too early into the box after the penalty? Yes, VAR didn't care.

Edited by sne

39 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It is fine - most world football has used VAR for the last few seasons. Can we please stop discussing it as if it's some sort of a brand new thing that's yet to be implemented?

Was the world cup a disaster? No. Is the Bundesliga a disaster? No. Is La Liga a disaster? No.

Let's all chill out, its a good systems that's still in the early days. Give me 5 minutes of waiting (that I am sure will be decreased as the time goes on) over an incorrect goal any day of the week. 

59 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

i didnt see the decision last night (or any of the others in this world cup) but what i'm telling myself is that european refs in rugby, are crap at using the video ref. british refs in rugby use the video ref much, much more effectively than their european counterparts. wayne barnes or nigel owens take i reckon a fifth of the time to make a decision than romain poite does so it's my opinion that we just wont see these 6/7/8 minute long decisions in the prem next season, and as the season progresses then it'll only improve. and they need to scrap this 'keeper off the line' cobblers...not once in the history of the game has the keeper gained an advantage by being 2 inches off the line when the ball is kicked

26 minutes ago, sne said:

Was the French player too early into the box after the penalty? Yes, VAR didn't care.

Did the ref do anything about it? No. So yes, VAR isn't going to spot each and every decision. But ultimately it didn't change anything either, as the game carried on with the referees decision. 

The idea that VAR isn't 100% perfect therefore shouldn't be used doesn't really make sense. It's already improved the game and, as shown by the Brazil game, being the home nation or a massive name doesn't have any influence on the correct decision,  whereas I believe the odd referee is influenced when they aren't sure. 

1 minute ago, kurtsimonw said:

Did the ref do anything about it? No. So yes, VAR isn't going to spot each and every decision. But ultimately it didn't change anything either, as the game carried on with the referees decision. 

The idea that VAR isn't 100% perfect therefore shouldn't be used doesn't really make sense. It's already improved the game and, as shown by the Brazil game, being the home nation or a massive name doesn't have any influence on the correct decision,  whereas I believe the odd referee is influenced when they aren't sure. 

That's certainly one opinion.

Not sure what you mean about the fist part, the VAR room alerts the ref about rule breaches no? It's not just the ref who asks to watch stuff he/she is unsure of.

VAR told the ref that the goalie was over the line, VAR did not tell the ref that the French player was over the line.

The penalty should have been retaken, again.

10 minutes ago, sne said:

That's certainly one opinion.

Not sure what you mean about the fist part, the VAR room alerts the ref about rule breaches no? It's not just the ref who asks to watch stuff he/she is unsure of.

VAR told the ref that the goalie was over the line, VAR did not tell the ref that the French player was over the line.

The penalty should have been retaken, again.

So what you are saying is that VAR has not informed the ref that the player was over the line.

So the argument isn't against VAR, it's against the lack of the use of it. 

So it's just like the old days - refs miss stuff and they will continue to do so. But VAR has been designed to get an additional set of eyes on it, so that more often then not a correct decision can be made.

• Confused 1

Â