The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

12 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Completely correct - in the same way that offside was introduced to avoid "easy" goals being scored.  Everything comes down to fine margins.

I doubt there have been many instances at all of a free kick striking the woodwork and then coming directly back to the free kick taker.  He got incredibly unlucky, but there's nothing wrong with the rule.

Maybe just interpretation of wrong, but I'd argue that the rule being defined as it is prevents a passage of play that should be totally permissable in my view, and that makes it wrong. But there are far bigger issues in football than that rule.

Obviously VAR wasn’t interested but Newcastle’s second goal was interesting , ball was clearly intended for  Wilson who was upended for a penalty but wilson was  also offside , however ref let play go on and Newcastle scored but Wilson clearly impedes the keeper by being there and by being offside so why is the goal allowed to stand ? 

The disallowed goal is crazy because a) Sheffield had the ball back under control before they gave it back to us and b) Ramsey was himself being held by the other defender

Add those things together and it's ridiculous to disallow that 

• Like 2

Screenshot-2023-12-22-230941.png

Still the same phase of play apparently - I imagine they'd give the Sky 6 the goal. We won the ball back fairly, it's a new phase entirely. They didn't need to review the contact on the keeper (JJ was being massively fould before that too).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I will support the breakaway Super League if they abolish VAR

We've literally been discussing this for the last hour. 

I just said to my lad, if we are invited to the Super League and VAR ain't involved I'm in. 

It's destroying the game. 

VAR seems to spend a lot of time trying to award frivolous penalties and look hard to find reasons to rule out goals

Why do they ignore their own clear and obvious rule when seeking to cancel out goals? You can't spend 5 minutes looking at an incident before bringing the ref to the monitor and spend a other 3 minutes looking at it, and it's a clear and obvious error. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

VAR seems to spend a lot of time trying to award frivolous penalties and look hard to find reasons to rule out goals

Why do they ignore their own clear and obvious rule when seeking to cancel out goals? You can't spend 5 minutes looking at an incident before bringing the ref to the monitor and spend a other 3 minutes looking at it, and it's a clear and obvious error. 

If they implemented a rule that no decision takes longer than 60-90 seconds, I think some would be more forgiving to a degree. Can't celebrate goals anymore, they make it up as they along too. We saw one angle of the alleged foul on the Sheff United goalkeeper, but no angle on the foul on JJ. They spent 8 seconds on the hand ball later on. There's no consistency. They reviewed Jhon for a red card because he accidentally caught their player with his elbow when getting up from a foul they got instead. That's just from tonight's game. Let alone how they concluded no penalty on Ollie. They should be forced to explain every match why any goal is ruled out - they won't though because the people overseeing it don't want to undermine the officials on the pitch. Every aspect of its implementation is a farce.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I don’t think the clear and obvious has ever been implement since VAR came in. It was a massive error bringing it in as a phrase in the first place as what they really wanted to do was ref the game to the millimetre. It’s a farce and just needs scrapping. 

Imagine if VAR had been around forever. 

So many great games we've grown up watching would have been ruined. Decisions that lead to rivalries wouldn't have happened. Basically, as it is now, it would have ruined the game we all love. 

Football worked better without it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mantis said:

Wouldn't surprise me if in 10-20 years time, provided VAR is still around in the form that it is, not celebrating goals basically becomes standard practice, and fans instead celebrate once VAR allow it.

I didn't celebrate either goals at the game tonight. It's an absolute farce.

If they could have found something wrong with the Sheff U goal after 3 mins of studying it. I wouldn't have wanted the goal taken away from them, and have the piss taken out of them celebrating, having spent £100 and travelled 200 mile round trip.

It feels to me like it was an idea by someone who has never attended a game.

• Like 1

I mean, Ramsey was absolutely impeding Foderingham there as he was holding the arm that he would have used to punch the ball away.

The iffy part about that is the phase of play stuff, and I won't pretend like I know how that works. But my gut tells me if there was a foul leading up to the goal, the goal shouldn't stand.

The penalty decision was the one I had an issue with. They tried to claim shoulder when he obviously pushed it back with his arm. They also didn't make the ref check it out, as if they were certain. Dude really volleyed that back with his arm. I was thinking they were going to use the shirt line thing, but they really said shoulder. That was terrible.

I was also scared during the Duran incident. When they started reviewing it I thought VAR had finally lost the plot. It was so obvious he was trying to free himself and any contact on the other player was accidental. Glad they came to the same conclusion. I was ready to bin the whole thing off right there.

So two(ish) out of three ain't bad I guess.

Edited by Keyblade
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I mean, Ramsey was absolutely impeding Foderingham there as he was holding the arm that he would have used to punch the ball away.

The iffy part about that is the phase of play stuff, and I won't pretend like I know how that works. But my gut tells me if there was a foul leading up to the goal, the goal shouldn't stand.

The penalty decision was the one I had an issue with. They tried to claim shoulder when he obviously pushed it back with his arm. They also didn't make the ref check it out, as if they were certain. Dude really volleyed that back with his arm. I was thinking they were going to use the shirt line thing, but they really said shoulder. That was terrible.

I was also scared during the Duran incident. When they started reviewing it I thought VAR had finally lost the plot. It was so obvious he was trying to free himself and any contact on the other player was accidental. Glad they came to the same conclusion. I was ready to bin the whole thing off right there.

So two(ish) out of three ain't bad I guess.

They said on tv that they didn’t count the new phase of play as the ball had only “barely” left the penalty area. Since when did “barely” not count?? Terrible decision.

Also even our own fans were giving Duran stick for his incident which I felt was really harsh because he was being dragged all over the place by two players and struggling free. VAR seemed to acknowledge this but still then gave a yellow. 

Was genuinely dumbstruck re the handball and Ollie’s penalty. 

I actually feel like officials tonight felt like that we’d had the rub of the green too much recently and wanted to make amends.

Â