The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

On 10/03/2021 at 22:27, a m ole said:

It’s literally the only reason the D exists!

This!

What do people think that D is for if it's not to stand behind for a penalty?

• Like 1

I can't find the post but I posted in here a while back predicting that we would eventually get to a stage where offside was automatic, much like you see on video games. The players and line of the last man would be tracked automatically and give an instant offside decision.

It sounds like that is closer than I thought.

I'm not sure if this is necessary, but it certainly sounds like a better solution than the **** that is VAR offside decisions in their current form.

TL;DR?

Semi automated offside currently being developed. Goal of being operational for the 2022 world cup (but pandemic may have made that too difficult). To be in place for domestic leagues by 2023/24 at the earliest.

Won't provide a decision, but will provide enough evidence to make a decision within 3 seconds of the pass being made which would then be relayed to the assistant to raise his flag. Most cases it will be instant.

Would remove almost all VAR delays for offside, and would remove uncertainty around goals being celebrated (or not celebrated) for fear of offside .
I would also remove the need for delayed flag raises that we have today.

By far the worst part of VAR for me, so this sounds positive

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Zatman said:

to show VAR is not a fair system, its available in some World Cup qualifiers but not all of them. Bullshit

It is bullshit.

France goal was both offside and handball. 

Leganes have just been given a 97th minute penalty against Almeria in the Spanish Segunda Division.  The Leganes player runs across attacking a corner and jumps into the Almeria defender as he's heading the ball clear.  If anything, it's a foul by the attacking player.  The decision has gone to VAR and been given as a penalty.

It's an atrocious decision.

Edited by bobzy

17 hours ago, bobzy said:

Leganes have just been given a 97th minute penalty against Almeria in the Spanish Segunda Division.  The Leganes player runs across attacking a corner and jumps into the Almeria defender as he's heading the ball clear.  If anything, it's a foul by the attacking player.  The decision has gone to VAR and been given as a penalty.

It's an atrocious decision.

Absolutely horrendous, hard to believe it's not intentional cheating by the ref given it was reviewed by VAR. 

Vid from twitter

Edited by ThunderPower_14

That really shouldn’t be possible. I can’t begin to imagine how angry I would be if it happened to us. Or, wait, I can: Ollie at West Ham. I don’t think I can get angrier than I was then. But this was an even worse decision. How a professional referee can look at that and call it a pen is impossible to understand. 

Edited by El Zen

5 hours ago, El Zen said:

That really shouldn’t be possible. I can’t begin to imagine how angry I would be if it happened to us. Or, wait, I can: Ollie at West Ham. I don’t think I can get angrier than I was then. But this was an even worse decision. How a professional referee can look at that and call it a pen is impossible to understand. 

The Watkins west ham goal was a disgraceful call, i am still furious 😲😁

On 24/03/2021 at 22:10, Zatman said:

to show VAR is not a fair system, its available in some World Cup qualifiers but not all of them. Bullshit

I've never really understood why this is seen as an issue.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I've never really understood why this is seen as an issue.

For me it should be in all or nothing as doesn't seem to be fair. Goal line technology has been removed from the qualifiers for that reason

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

For me it should be in all or nothing as doesn't seem to be fair. Goal line technology has been removed from the qualifiers for that reason

I don't see why it's not fair. That argument doesn't make sense to me. Goalline technology is used in the FA Cup when some grounds can't have it. Should that be taken away?

Just because some games have better technology than others doesn't make it unfair, it just means those games are (in theory at least) fairer.

• Like 1

I think it depends whether you subscribe to the fairly nebulous idea that "these things even themselves out". I can see why it'd feel like the most outrageous thing in the world if a goal is incorrectly given against you due to a lack of technology, then you correctly have one ruled out in another game in the same competition due to different rules being enforced.

The idea that we make the entire tournament fairer by making individual games less fair doesn't really stand up to me though.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I think it depends whether you subscribe to the fairly nebulous idea that "these things even themselves out". I can see why it'd feel like the most outrageous thing in the world if a goal is incorrectly given against you due to a lack of technology, then you correctly have one ruled out in another game in the same competition due to different rules being enforced.

The idea that we make the entire tournament fairer by making individual games less fair doesn't really stand up to me though.

Ireland vs Serbia, Connolly was taken out in the box but no VAR to look at it. When Ireland play in Portugal later in the group they will have VAR to give a Bruno special

Countries are being punished for being poor in football terms 

Â