One For The Road

5 hours ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

100% this. You get some very condescending takes towards Dyche and Burnley, but he and his players have done a fantastic job during their time in the PL

Stoke should be the warning to owners who want to see "better football."   They got rid of Pulis and replaced him with Hughes to "play more progressively."  People can say what they want about these so-called one-dimensional boring managers, but the way they do things allows their teams to punch above their weight (significantly).... If you gave the Burnley squad to any other manager they'd have been relegated before Christmas...

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

Relegation is absolutely what Burnley deserve now. Dyche was a miracle worker there, no idea what their board expects given how little they spend. 

I think I read he had a net spend of 21 million in his time there

14 hours ago, Zatman said:

Replace Burnley with Stoke or Charlton who have never got back near the Premier League since they went down. I think is more chance of Burnley slipping to League One than coming back to the Premier League

They have won the league twice the FA Cup once. They have more of a histpry than Stoke or Charlton 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

They have won the league twice the FA Cup once. They have more of a histpry than Stoke or Charlton 

Before Dyche they spent 1 season in the top flight in 40 years and 4 seasons in Division 4

They last won a trophy in 1960 when none of the players or Dyche staff were even born

30 minutes ago, Zatman said:

They last won a trophy in 1960 when none of the players or Dyche staff were even born

We're getting there...A handful of our players weren't alive to see our last league cup :(

18 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Wouldn’t Bielsa be a logical appointment for Burnley? Instead of signing expensive players. I could see Bielsa wanting to return to England and prove people wrong.

He also needs lots of money to spend to build a small squad

He was linked to Bolivia job last week. High pressing 100 mile an hour football in high altitude. He might kill somebody 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Before Dyche they spent 1 season in the top flight in 40 years and 4 seasons in Division 4

Yes true and these new "Church of later day saints" owners haven't put any of their own money into the club building up debts. 

18 hours ago, Zatman said:

Replace Burnley with Stoke or Charlton who have never got back near the Premier League since they went down. I think is more chance of Burnley slipping to League One than coming back to the Premier League

Yep only have to look at what Blackburn did after going down in 2012. Finally a truce with the Venkys a decade later as at least they've decided to give Tony Mowbray time and he's built them up from league 1 to verge of championship play offs.

Seems way takeover was agreed Burnley will be in a fair bit of trouble if they don't have prem income so think they'll struggle to get back in top 6 next season and if teams don't get back up within two years they usually drop to mid table or lower (we were a glorious exception due to the takeover in summer 2018).

Edit; I'm astounded they sacked Dyche without having anyone lined up to take over straight away. That's the most baffling thing about this.

Edited by VillaChris

13 hours ago, FLVillan said:

Stoke should be the warning to owners who want to see "better football."   They got rid of Pulis and replaced him with Hughes to "play more progressively."  People can say what they want about these so-called one-dimensional boring managers, but the way they do things allows their teams to punch above their weight (significantly).... If you gave the Burnley squad to any other manager they'd have been relegated before Christmas...

Didn't Stoke finish three years running in top 10 with Hughes? They also were playing some nice football with Bojan-Shaqiri-Arnautovic for about 18 months.

Think Hughes just stayed there too long and giving the gig to Lambert in Jan 2018 remains one of the most bizarre prem managerial decisions in last decade.

Think more apt with Burnley is what happened to Bolton post Big Sam and Charlton after Curbishley. 

From the Burnley Wicki:

Burnley have been champions of England twice, in 1920–21 and 1959–60, have won the FA Cup once, in 1913–14, and have won the FA Charity Shield twice, in 1960 and 1973. They have been runners-up in the First Division twice, in 1919–20 and 1961–62, and FA Cup runners-up twice, in 1946–47 and 1961–62. Burnley are one of only five sides to have won all four professional divisions of English football, along with Wolverhampton Wanderers, Preston North End, Sheffield United and Portsmouth. When the team won the 1959–60 Football League, the town of Burnley became one of the smallest to have an English first-tier champion.[a]

On 15/04/2022 at 14:43, PaulC said:

Bit of a suprise but the right thing to do. He wasn't playing to Weghorst's strengths and think the players  and the fans had had enough of his one way of playing. 

On 15/04/2022 at 15:44, bannedfromHandV said:

Burnley are the most direct team in the league, how do they not play to a beanpole’s strengths?! 

I'm with PaulC on this one. Weghorst might be tall but he isn't just a target man, and he may not even primarily be a target man. I watched his highlight videos, don't remember many of his goals being headers or from winning aerial challenges, and I remember that when he joined Burnley he kept pointing to his feet wanting it played into space.

11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Didn't Stoke finish three years running in top 10 with Hughes? They also were playing some nice football with Bojan-Shaqiri-Arnautovic for about 18 months.

Think Hughes just stayed there too long and giving the gig to Lambert in Jan 2018 remains one of the most bizarre prem managerial decisions in last decade.

Think more apt with Burnley is what happened to Bolton post Big Sam and Charlton after Curbishley. 

Your examples of Charlton and Bolton are better examples and are probably more definitive,  but I firmly believe the demise of Stoke started as soon as they binned Pulis.  Hughes inherited a solid core/spine and as they aged the team started to fall apart.  

4 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm with PaulC on this one. Weghorst might be tall but he isn't just a target man, and he may not even primarily be a target man. I watched his highlight videos, don't remember many of his goals being headers or from winning aerial challenges, and I remember that when he joined Burnley he kept pointing to his feet wanting it played into space.

That may be true, but unless Burnley have a clear plan for replacement in the next 2-3 games who will fix those problems and keep them in the Premier League, it still seems like a mistake. Much more sensible to let him do his best to keep them up, and then replace at the end of the season IMO.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KentVillan said:

That may be true, but unless Burnley have a clear plan for replacement in the next 2-3 games who will fix those problems and keep them in the Premier League, it still seems like a mistake. Much more sensible to let him do his best to keep them up, and then replace at the end of the season IMO.

Oh yeah, I completely agree. Just disagreeing that Weghorst is nothing but a Gestede.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Oh yeah, I completely agree. Just disagreeing that Weghorst is nothing but a Gestede.

His hold up play is on a par with Gestede.

If they still had Wood they'd probably have another 4-5 points as while he's been rubbish for Newcastle his style suited Burnley perfectly in final third.

Watching Burnley is odd. Every time I watch them it feels to me it's more logical to play 4-3-3 as Rice basically was the one West Ham player who got everything going second half and all he did was pick up the ball on halfway line, have a little jog and he was then on edge of the penalty area.

Guess Westwood injury ruined that idea but Burnley really have the worst CM options in the league by a long way.

26 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

His hold up play is on a par with Gestede.

If they still had Wood they'd probably have another 4-5 points as while he's been rubbish for Newcastle his style suited Burnley perfectly in final third.

Watching Burnley is odd. Every time I watch them it feels to me it's more logical to play 4-3-3 as Rice basically was the one West Ham player who got everything going second half and all he did was pick up the ball on halfway line, have a little jog and he was then on edge of the penalty area.

Guess Westwood injury ruined that idea but Burnley really have the worst CM options in the league by a long way.

I remember the goal of Bournemouth first game of the season and thought we had worldbeater. Very very very very very very very very wrong

• Like 1

Â