Pre-Match Thread

Raver50032

Well... can we make it 12 from 12?

Given the on-going crisis of injuries that is emerging, the gaffer seems to be using the 'best players' at his disposal with limited rotation. That might be a good thing... might bite him on the arse, who knows? I have been pleasantly surprised with three full wins in 7 days so far and look ahead with positivity to see what we can get from Elland Road. On paper, it's the tougher ask of the 4 fixtures from QPR, Sunderland, Ipswich and Leeds. Hopeful that we can nab a valuable point up there. I dare not be greedy and demand another win. I just hope we don't crumble like England's 2nd innings.

Come on Villa...

It would be lovely to put the pressure on the other promotion candidates with a win Friday, but with the wins we have accrued recently we are under no real pressure to get 3 points IMO.

The 2 point average per game wont suffer too much.

I think its important not to lose though, lets keep Leeds at bay for the forseeable.

2 hours ago, BOF said:

I land in Dublin airport @ 19:05 on Friday :rant: So it'll be some slick manouvering to get to see this from the start (I'm not hanging around the airport all evening).

So what do we know about this Leeds side from a statistics point of view.

They're midtable when it comes to possession.  They're midtable in pass percentage.  They've the 5th worst discipline in the league (we're 2nd best).  They're midtable in tackles.  I'm trying to find something that they do an inordinate amount of times that makes them stand out in one area or another, and there really isn't anything.  They're pretty much mediocre in most category and less than that in the rest.  I suppose they've a good home defence although everyone in the top half bar Cardiff are within a goal or 2 of each other.  If we can play our game, have one of our 'on' days and avoid any silly mistakes to gift them an opener then I think we could win this one.

So far this season when we've scored 1st away from home we have a 100% record (Barnsley, Burton, Preston).  Let's keep that up.

But we do have 2 players who have either scored or assisted in every game they have played this season (statistically).

Stats dont tell you how we could have easily beaten Bristol City by 6, or how should have been 2 up vs Wednesday before they had a sniff. Or how we had Wolves rocking  (a lot) before the sending off, if anyone was going to score it was us. Or how Boro lost 2-1 but 4-0 would have been fairer (Boro fans admit that). How Fulham was technically a draw but we had a goal wrongly disallowed for offside. Or how the Barnsley score could have been doubled and it wouldn't have been unfair, same with forest and sunderland.

There have been very few games where we were outplayed, more our own poor errors both in front of goal and defensively, which is more frustrating then just being beaten by a better side on the day. 

Wolves (1st half and post sending off), Cardiff, Sheffield weds (after 1st goal). Thats probably about it. Other games we had our chances or made individual errors and were punished.

Not confident about the game because of your form and our inconsistent nature, but stats (i love stats) but they dont tell the whole story.

Edited by Cjay
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cjay said:

but stats (i love stats) but they dont tell the whole story.

I never claimed that they do.  They're a tool to be used however one wishes.

Just now, BOF said:

I never claimed that they do.  They're a tool to be used however one wishes.

Yeah true, can make them read however you please:D

I use stats a lot myself:wub:

3 hours ago, BOF said:

I land in Dublin airport @ 19:05 on Friday :rant: So it'll be some slick manouvering to get to see this from the start (I'm not hanging around the airport all evening).

So what do we know about this Leeds side from a statistics point of view.

They're midtable when it comes to possession.  They're midtable in pass percentage.  They've the 5th worst discipline in the league (we're 2nd best).  They're midtable in tackles.  I'm trying to find something that they do an inordinate amount of times that makes them stand out in one area or another, and there really isn't anything.  They're pretty much mediocre in most category and less than that in the rest.  I suppose they've a good home defence although everyone in the top half bar Cardiff are within a goal or 2 of each other.  If we can play our game, have one of our 'on' days and avoid any silly mistakes to gift them an opener then I think we could win this one.

So far this season when we've scored 1st away from home we have a 100% record (Barnsley, Burton, Preston).  Let's keep that up.

STATTO!! STATTO!!!

• Haha 2

They are really a Jekyll and Hyde team, they can absolutely batter a team one week and then implode the next. Lets hope its an imploding performance. 

Think we will lose this one 2-0 :( just dont think we have enough going forward. davis is struggling i feel up top alone. thats why we having to rely on magic from adomah 

i think they will target him and then i think we will struggle when that happens 

Ref for this is Peter Bankes.  This'll be his second outing for us.  Last time out we beat Preston 2-0 in Deepdale at the start of November with goals from Chester & Snodgrass.  He was one of our more unlucky refs last season with 1 win (1-0 v QPR) and 3 defeats (2-0 @ Preston, 2-0 @ Leeds on Sky, 2-0 @ Newcastle on Sky).