NurembergVillan

The Game's Gone

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Football is vile and its this sort of crap that has me in no hurry to go back to the top flight so soon

Matter of time before a club goes to the wall

It’s all propped up by TV money. It will the likes of Sky / BT etc to go under before the football house of cards comes down. I can’t see it anytime soon tbh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Genie said:

It’s all propped up by TV money. It will the likes of Sky / BT etc to go under before the football house of cards comes down. I can’t see it anytime soon tbh.

I dont mean big clubs but lesser lights chasing the Premier League dream. Look at Bournemouth they have done incredible but are spending a bucketload of money on shit players from Liverpool 

One bad season and with them wages plus relegation could kill them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

400K per week is almost incomprehensible to me. 

I understand that the game is getting further from the fans every season but on the other hand, it's one of the few ways for a working class lad to pull himself and his family into the elite earners of the world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really hate the short termism in football now, not just from Villa fans which is sad but game in general. 

Up to 8pm yesterday Solskjaer was best manager since Fergie now according to  same people (fans and media alike) after 1 loss he is out of his depth and was lucky. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I really hate the short termism in football now, not just from Villa fans which is sad but game in general. 

Up to 8pm yesterday Solskjaer was best manager since Fergie now according to  same people (fans and media alike) after 1 loss he is out of his depth and was lucky. 

It's the clickbait culture that exists in the media. Everything is hype and the best/worst ever. There's very little cohearent analysis anymore. 

Edited by villa89

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

400K per week is almost incomprehensible to me. 

I understand that the game is getting further from the fans every season but on the other hand, it's one of the few ways for a working class lad to pull himself and his family into the elite earners of the world.

would be interesting to see how it impacts it, its still obviously considered the sport of the working class man and i think for fans thats true, i think schools here barely teach it anymore (im guessing on the assumption that kids play it outside so its pointless, either that or sport england provide funding and influence it) im not sure i've ever seen anything on the class background of footballers, is it a sport played by working class kids earning huge sums or is it a spread

would be a shame because im convinced music in this country has gone to shit because the rockstar has moved to middle class kids

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

why?

not sure why 2 things happen, 1) irish people get mad when kids born in england choose england over ireland 2) why the english FA is still so shit at seeing young talent and end up tapping up kids from other countries that they should have in the first place

his statement reads to me pretty much as i didnt realise how good i was going to be, didnt think i would get a game at england so chose ireland but now im doing really well so want to play for my country of birth

Edited by villa4europe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

why?

not sure why 2 things happen, 1) irish people get mad when kids born in england choose england over ireland 2) why the english FA is still so shit at seeing young talent and end up tapping up kids from other countries that they should have in the first place

his statement reads to me pretty much as i didnt realise how good i was going to be, didnt think i would get a game at england so chose ireland but now im doing really well so want to play for my country of birth

The major issue with some people in Ireland is that he has 3 caps already so thay should be it. 

Though it covers the inept FAI who have no idea how to build grassroots game in Ireland

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Completely forgot Villa played last night. Now we have been shit for a long time but I think my fading interest is mostly down to what this thread is about. Shit players signed for a ton of money and so on. Going to try to watch Malmö tonight and hope we can get a result.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/02/2019 at 19:50, villa4europe said:

why?

not sure why 2 things happen, 1) irish people get mad when kids born in england choose england over ireland 2) why the english FA is still so shit at seeing young talent and end up tapping up kids from other countries that they should have in the first place

his statement reads to me pretty much as i didnt realise how good i was going to be, didnt think i would get a game at england so chose ireland but now im doing really well so want to play for my country of birth

I hate how players pick and choose national sides based on the level the country is at, makes it all meaningless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I hate how players pick and choose national sides based on the level the country is at, makes it all meaningless.

There's no ideal way though. 

From my view, they're English lads. They're not their parents or grandparents. Why that should have any bearing doesn't make sense to me. 

Even worse is Costa/Motta who just lived in a country a few years to play for them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It should be the country of your birth no excuses, or at a push one your parents were born in. Not my nans best mates brother had an Irish wolfhound so I'm eligible 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't agree if should be your country of birth but the fact that players select national team based on their career just doesn't sit right with me. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We all like to think 'I wouldn't have done that' but let's assume you grew up in Pakistan and your parents are from Brazil and you become the greatest footballer in the world.

I think many of us would pick playing for Brazil although we spent our lives in a different country... You have one career and it's every footballers dream to have a success on the international stage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It should be whoever you play for first thats it. Changing is the issue

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Zatman said:

It should be whoever you play for first thats it. Changing is the issue

Yeah.

The whole friendlies doesn't count is BS.

U21 should probably also be enough as by then you are an adult.

Even thou Sweden lost out on a few talented guys I'm OK with Kosovo getting players when they formed their national side a few years back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

It should be the country of your birth no excuses, or at a push one your parents were born in. Not my nans best mates brother had an Irish wolfhound so I'm eligible 

It's always been like that though, look at the Irish World cup squads of 1990 and 94.

England is actually one of the major nations that dosen't actually abuse the rule that much (Spain had a Brazilian as DM when they won euro 2008 for instance) and Germany had a couple of Brazilians play for them.

Personally for me if you play for under 21s that's your country so Rice and Grealish would be locked to ROI now. Would never happen though as for instance loads of players have been capped by France at that level and then they go on to play for likes of Senegal, Algeria and Morrocco at World cups.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

We all like to think 'I wouldn't have done that' but let's assume you grew up in Pakistan and your parents are from Brazil and you become the greatest footballer in the world.

I think many of us would pick playing for Brazil although we spent our lives in a different country... You have one career and it's every footballers dream to have a success on the international stage.

spin that the other way round, grew up in brazil parents are from pakistan, at 16 pakistan ask you to play for their youth team, brazil dont because your 156th in the pecking order for their U19 team, you say yes, by 21 due to some great coaching, team mates, maturity, exposure to 1st team football etc you're now 7th in the pecking order for brazil's 1st team

you're knocking pakistan on the head

i can agree and have more sympathy once they've played for the 1st team, in that respect rice is a little worse than grealish but my problem with ROI is they use it to their advantage all the time, the last squad had 3 players in it that represented other countries at youth level another 5 who weren't born in Ireland*, this traitor stuff from them and the vitriol on social media just doesn't wash

* if you then look at the recent call ups, so 2018 you have another 3 who represented a differnt country at youth level and another 6 who were born in a different country

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

once they've played for the 1st team, in that respect rice is a little worse than grealish but my problem with ROI is they use it to their advantage all the time, the last squad had 3 players in it that represented other countries at youth level another 5 who weren't born in Ireland*, this traitor stuff from them and the vitriol on social media just doesn't wash

* if you then look at the recent call ups, so 2018 you have another 3 who represented a differnt country at youth level and another 6 who were born in a different country

People are pissed that he took 3 international caps away from somebody else who actually wants to play for Ireland not a guy that used Ireland to put himself in England shop window. thats the anger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites