The Game's Gone

NurembergVillan

As perfectly demonstrated tonight, a stop clock would do a lot to save football.  The game, which used to be played by gentlemen who reffed themselves, worked without a stop clock.  The game as it is now rewards shithousing and time wasting. This should change.

I include our own Emi in that bucket in the first half where he was wasting time feigning an injury to relieve some pressure on our team (although don't think a stop clock would help there as ball wasn't out of play).

• Like 2

13 hours ago, MrBlack said:

As perfectly demonstrated tonight, a stop clock would do a lot to save football.  The game, which used to be played by gentlemen who reffed themselves, worked without a stop clock.  The game as it is now rewards shithousing and time wasting. This should change.

I include our own Emi in that bucket in the first half where he was wasting time feigning an injury to relieve some pressure on our team (although don't think a stop clock would help there as ball wasn't out of play).

They should charge season tickets by actual minutes of play. That would speed things up a bit.

:mellow:

Lionel Messi leads a group that collectively earned more than $990 million in 12 months, with the bar for entry higher than ever.

Lionel Messi was only 17 when he began suiting up for the top squad at FC Barcelona, so it was more than a little jarring when, after 17 seasons, he left the only professional home he had ever known to transfer to Paris Saint-Germain last August.

In one regard, though, this season marked a return to familiar territory for the 34-year-old soccer superstar.

With $130 million in pre-tax gross earnings over the last 12 months, Messi claims the top spot in Forbes’ annual ranking of the world’s highest-paid athletes, leading the list for the second time (the other was in 2019). Although Forbes estimates that Messi’s salary is down some $22 million from his final year with Barcelona—to $75 million this season at PSG—a major boost in endorsements helps him equal the record 12-month total for a soccer player he posted last year, when he finished No. 2 to MMA fighter Conor McGregor.

Messi’s archrival, Cristiano Ronaldo—who also switched teams in August, moving from Juventus to Manchester United—lands at No. 3 this year with $115 million. Sandwiched between the two is the Los Angeles Lakers’ LeBron James with $121.2 million, crushing the $96.5 million record for an NBA player that he set last year. James becomes only the tenth athlete ever to surpass $100 million in a single year, a milestone Messi and Ronaldo have now reached five times each.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brettknight/2022/05/11/the-worlds-10-highest-paid-athletes-2022/?sh=2775dc7b1f6c

2 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

I remember watching that live! First FA Cup final I watched from start to finish. Loved it. Always a great occasion. I have vague recollections of the final the year before (Cov-Spurs) but this one is etched in the memory. 

Now I'd rather watch the contents of my own toilet bowl than the FA Cup final today. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Xela said:

I remember watching that live! First FA Cup final I watched from start to finish. Loved it. Always a great occasion. I have vague recollections of the final the year before (Cov-Spurs) but this one is etched in the memory. 

Now I'd rather watch the contents of my own toilet bowl than the FA Cup final today. 

Yeah remember that one too - was a much bigger occassion back in the day. Was just not just the match but the build up too!

Not that I'm obsessed with him or anything... But seeing the grealish thread on here 2 or 3 times today I have wondered if Jack will start in the cup final today

So I'm not sure if my problem I'm numb to man City winning everything and automatically assume they'll win cups they're not even in or if I just don't care about the final enough to remember who's actually in it 

That said I think I will at least watch some of it 

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Not that I'm obsessed with him or anything... But seeing the grealish thread on here 2 or 3 times today I have wondered if Jack will start in the cup final today

So I'm not sure if my problem I'm numb to man City winning everything and automatically assume they'll win cups they're not even in or if I just don't care about the final enough to remember who's actually in it 

That said I think I will at least watch some of it 

giphy.gif?cid=5e2148860vmy4fbirunaanol77

Don’t think Grealish will get on the pitch today somehow 😉😂

Spoiler

It’s Liverpool vs Chelsea btw!

Edited by theboyangel

3 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

giphy.gif?cid=5e2148860vmy4fbirunaanol77

Don’t think Grealish will get on the pitch today somehow 😉😂

Hide contents

It’s Liverpool vs Chelsea btw!

I worded it badly but that's what I meant, i keep forgetting it's not city, almost like I expect it to be and don't really care anymore 

• Like 1

This guy has been chosen to go the the World Cup in Qatar. Hope he gets to ref the final. Would be fitting

Referee who blew at 85 minutes in AFCON howler selected for World Cup

Zambian official Janny Sikazwe claimed he had been hallucinating and feared he would die after twice blowing for full-time early during the Africa Cup of Nations

The referee who blew for full-time on 85 minutes in a howler at the Africa Cup of Nations has been selected for this year's World Cup.

Zambian official Janny Sikazwe was ridiculed online after twice blowing the final whistle early during the group stage match between Tunisia and Mali back in January. After first blowing his whistle five minutes early, the match was restarted before Sikazwe again ended the match, this time seconds before the 90 minute mark.

Despite that error, he has now been included amongst the officials chosen by FIFA for the World Cup in Qatar later this year.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/janny-sikazwe-afcon-world-cup-27010437

• Haha 1

On 14/05/2022 at 16:35, Xela said:

download.jpeg

Mbappe staying at PSG.

According to the eminently reliable Balague he's getting a £150,000,000 signing on fee and £26,000,000 a year. 

But, of course, FFP will deal with this. Right?

5 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Mbappe staying at PSG.

According to the eminently reliable Balague he's getting a £150,000,000 signing on fee and £26,000,000 a year. 

But, of course, FFP will deal with this. Right?

Balague said he was joining Real Madrid last week. He's an absolute charlatan. 

• Like 1

Â