The Game's Gone

NurembergVillan

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

It's never occurred to me that this is a problem that needs to be solved. 

That's where I'm at. I don't like to fundamentally change the game if there isn't an obvious reason to do so.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

I beg to differ,but lets not start an arguement.

Well my opinion is more subs means you can be less tactical. Because you can try something and if it doesn't work you've got 5 more subs. And you can choose from any position you like on the bench.

Less subs and less people on the bench would mean more difficult choices with who to include in the squad and who to bring on during games.

So maybe more subs means we'll see MORE tactics. But less subs means BETTER tactics. Imo of course

16 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

That's where I'm at. I don't like to fundamentally change the game if there isn't an obvious reason to do so.

You do get the feeling that they are working with focus groups and consultants trying to find ways to make the game more popular with people who are not yet fans trying to spread the game (make even more money).

Don't for a second believe changes like this are made for the fans. As in people who are already following football and a weekly or daily basis.

Obviously it also creates opportunities to monetize the breaks and stops in play.

24 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I think there is an obvious thing to address, but this isn't the obvious solution.

I think timewasting is something that needs addressing. Especially in terms of time added on at the end of the game and how easy it is for 3 minutes to become about 30 seconds with the right time wasting tactics.

I'm just not sure this is the best way of doing it.

As usual the best solution would be to crack down on the actual rules of the game. Like the 6 second rule for keepers which is quite literally never enforced. Or put a "shot clock" of sorts on set pieces. If you get a goal kick you've got 30 seconds to take it. Or don't stop the entire game t make a sub, just let the game continue.
But enforcing the actual rules isn't something football does very well

I like the 60 minute thing in theory, but I have no doubt that they will massively **** it up

Time wasting is just another big part of the game being destroyed for me (not quite as much as VAR). It's horrendous when the away team go 1 up and shithouse their way to a win. It used to be only a few teams that did it, but now everyone is at it including ourselves. Cramp, faking head injuries, goal kicks etc. If this is the way to get rid of that then I'm all for it. You'll still get it from time to time to stop the momentum of the attacking team, but it won't be anywhere near as bad as it is now. 

Stoppage time just doesn't work, it's inconsistent, sometimes there isn't enough time added on, other times the ref just forgets about all the other stoppages in the original stoppage time and blows up early. It's farcical and is shit to watch as a supporter at the ground. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villarule123 said:

Time wasting is just another big part of the game being destroyed for me (not quite as much as VAR). It's horrendous when the away team go 1 up and shithouse their way to a win. It used to be only a few teams that did it, but now everyone is at it including ourselves. Cramp, faking head injuries, goal kicks etc. If this is the way to get rid of that then I'm all for it. You'll still get it from time to time to stop the momentum of the attacking team, but it won't be anywhere near as bad as it is now. 

Stoppage time just doesn't work, it's inconsistent, sometimes there isn't enough time added on, other times the ref just forgets about all the other stoppages in the original stoppage time and blows up early. It's farcical and is shit to watch as a supporter at the ground. 

Don't stop the game for injuries (let the physios onto the pitch while the game continues. Ref has the option to stop the game if it's truly serious)

Don't stop the game for subs

Enforce the 6 second rule (or as @og1874 says extend it to 10-12 seconds and then properly enforce it)

Put a strict time limit on taking set pieces

Those 4 things alone would make a huge difference to timewasting without having to **** around with game length

6 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

And a further £21m per season salary.

At its core, I still love the spectacle of 11 vs 11 footballers on the pitch, but I really struggle to rationalise supporting a sport that's this broken.

• Like 4

While we are on the moaning front shall I tell you another thing that is grinding my gears? The top teams that qualify for Europe & Newcastle now have so much more income it gives them a massive advantage over the rest of the Prem. Then going down the league there are the middle section, including us, that want to get there but will have to spend a kings fortune to stand a chance. Then at the bottom of the league, & at the top of the championship there are about 8 clubs that keep on coming up, and then getting relegated. They then get massive parachute payments that give them such a dominant position they are virtually assured to be challenging for promotion the next season. Of course there are exceptions, we went down and because we had shite owners at the time we didn't come straight back up, but in general these clubs are starting to create their own mini league away from any other Championship clubs. Of course there will always be a Brenford, that seems to buck the trend, but in general it is becoming a closed shop. It is very depressing if you are a Bristol City fan at the moment.

22 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but there is a stat some where which has Villa as the biggest in game time wasters in the Prem.

And that's just Martinez :)

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but there is a stat some where which has Villa as the biggest in game time wasters in the Prem.

Liverpool fans were saying we are the most negative team they played this season as we started time wasting after about 8 minutes

50 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I thought that stat would belong to Burnley. 

Biggest waste of time supporting that shit club. 

56 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

It was a stat that calculated how much time the ball was in play in games on average, in which we were bottom.

Theres a whole host of potential reasons for that, us being intentional time wasters probably quite low down the list.

Edited by a m ole

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Liverpool fans were saying we are the most negative team they played this season as we started time wasting after about 8 minutes

Under Gerrard we did. hated that game. |We basically parked the bus for 90 minutes to try keep the lose low. Showed them far far too much respect.

5 hours ago, Davkaus said:

At its core, I still love the spectacle of 11 vs 11 footballers on the pitch, but I really struggle to rationalise supporting a sport that's this broken.

I read up to about how the Qatari investment authority wants this done before the World Cup in Qatar and just wondered why on earth I follow this heinous sport. It isn’t what we loved. 

Â