NBA

maqroll

6 hours ago, fruitvilla said:

Yeah, one never passes the ball, sets, screens, cover for fellow team mates, double or even triple team the opposition, pull defenders out of position, make yourself available for the ball, or even communicate with them. Bit like singles tennis really.

It feels like you’re deliberately missing the point and taking it out of context. This was written in a football thread in an attempt to hypothesize about the popularity of individual players beyond their «own» fanbase, compared to football. It’s all relative. 

• 2 weeks later...

Trade deadline coming up.

The big one that's been floating around for a while now is finally happening with Ben Simmons going to the Nets and James Harden going the opposite way. Along with some other stuff.

Philadelphia receives:

• James Harden
  • Paul Millsap

Brooklyn receives:

• Ben Simmons
  • Seth Curry
  • Andre Drummond
  • 2022 first-round pick (unprotected)
  • 2027 first-round pick (protected)
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, MCU said:

How does the whole transfer/trade thing work in NBA?

It’s a complex system, and others on here probably know it better than me, but basically, at its simplest it revolves around players contracts and making sure the current years salary comes within 25% of each other.

For instance, if Player A has 1 year left on his deal earning $10m per season and Player B had 5 years left on his deal earning $9m per season they could be traded for each other. If Player A was getting $13m per season, the other team would have to add another player in the $2m-$5m range to get the salaries to work.

You can also trade draft picks (current season and future years) and cash.

But there are also salary caps, luxury tax and trade exceptions.

Its a complex, complex system for the casual. 

Edited by Hornso
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Hornso said:

It’s a complex system, and others on here probably know it better than me, but basically, at its simplest it revolves around players contracts and making sure the current years salary comes within 25% of each other.

For instance, if Player A has 1 year left on his deal earning $10m per season and Player B had 5 years left on his deal earning $9m per season they could be traded for each other. If Player A was getting $13m per season, the other team would have to add another player to get the salaries to work.

You can also trade draft picks (current season and future years) and cash.

But there are also salary caps, luxury tax and trade exceptions.

Its a complex, complex system for the casual. 

It's also a hell of a lot more fair than the transfer system in football. You just need a lot of nous and savvy to make it work as a GM.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, sne said:

Or you just pay the luxury tax and get a much more expensive team than the teams who can't afford to or don't want to.

Even then there are only certain ways to go into the luxury tax isn’t there? You can’t just say we’re going to be the best, most expensive team in the NBA

5 minutes ago, Hornso said:

Even then there are only certain ways to go into the luxury tax isn’t there? You can’t just say we’re going to be the best, most expensive team in the NBA

Absolutely, it's way more complicated than I can comprehend.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hornso said:

It’s a complex system, and others on here probably know it better than me,

After I saw a trade involving magic beans , 17 players moving cities and a first round pick from 2079 I stopped trying to understand it.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/02/2022 at 21:01, Keyblade said:

It's also a hell of a lot more fair than the transfer system in football. You just need a lot of nous and savvy to make it work as a GM.

Always said the American sports trading system keeps the sports fresh for fans.

Would have been great entertainment if in that Amazon documentary on Spurs we got to see Jose tell Danny Rose he's been traded to Burnley. 

• Haha 1

On 02/03/2022 at 09:35, Hornso said:

This guy is must watch at the moment

I honestly think he is one of the most uniquely talented and skilled players in the leagues history.

A few fellow hooper's who know the NBA better than me were quick to note Steve Francis and Derrick Roses prime as comparable. I'm not saying they are lesser players than Morant, certainly not Rose in his prime anyway, I just don't think they had as much in the repertoire as Ja does.

He is silly good it's absurd.

• Like 1

Â