Match Thread: Bristol v Villa

limpid

I think I'd take Samba off and put Bree on, And line up:

Johnstone

Bree Terry Chester Taylor

Elmo Whelan Onomah Green

Hourihane

Davis

then if it's still 0-0 after 60 mins I'd take whoever of Onomah or Whelan is playing worse/tired (probs Whelan) and bring on Hogan, drop Hourihane back to centre mid and push Hogan and Davis up top. Then Adomah on for Elmo or Green depending on who the game pans out.

• Like 1

It's a half like that which basically cements the view we are nowhere near a automatic promotion team. Bristol aren't great and will be lucky to challenge for playoffs yet they are very very comfortable. OK you have bad games but we have way way too many of them. Even if we nick this we don't look anything like a team that can maintain any type of consistency.

To get anything out of this game we're going to need a goal (we will concede) so we need to take off Samba for Bree and Whelan for Hogan. 4-4-2 with someone to properly play off Davis who, as you'd expect, is nowhere near the standard of last week as it's ridicuolous to expect him to lead the line alone consistently. 

Bruce just doesn't have a clue and the lack of a solid team or even fomation shows that.

• Like 1

Samba has been our best defender and their forward has bullied Chester so if you watch the game then it is Chester who should come off at present.  That said I wouldn't change personnel at present.  Davis has been poor and didn't want to di the basics at the start and so (surprise, surprise) we had no outlet and looked poor.  As Davis put himself about more and laid the ball off simply as opposed to some of his early flicks we moved up the pitch and looked the better team. 

I like Hourihane but am starting to think he is a 'Home' player and isn't physical enough away from home.  Onomah has been our best midfielder by being just that, a midfielder that gets up and down the pitch.  What he hasn't had is that outlet (Davis again) and Elmo and Green have been too anonymous to allow him to use them effectively.  

Personally, I am not sure any of that is down to tactics or formations, more a fact that until/unless we hold the ball further up the pitch, an awful lot of our players look quite ordinary.

7 minutes ago, Troglodyte said:

I don't understand people wanting Onomah off. I think he's looked good. 

His running on the ball in the centre is pulling the defence all over. Just needs more villa pressure like that last 10

• Like 1

Onomah and Whelan coudl turn into a very good pair, I think they are better behind a trio of more attacking minded midfielders/forwards, that works with one up top and 4 at the back, or two up top with 3 at the back...

10 minutes ago, nazvfc said:

Because believe it or not and this may come as a surprise there is another team other than villa on the pitch and sometimes we can't play the way the fans want to. I bet it'll be Bristol are a shit team etc etc. We've not looked in much trouble I think our keepers only had to make one save whereas their keeper has had to make 2-3 ;-)

Thanks for that Einstein.