• John Terry
    • Nigel Pearson
    • Neil Warnock
    • Aitor Karanka
    • Claude Puel
    • Carlos Carvalhal
    • Other (please state)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/09/17 at 06:08

Didn't realise Bournemouth have lost there opening four games. Surely Eddie Howe could be available by the end of the month if that form continues.

Would he risk his reputation coming here though is the hypothetical question. 

Is there a manager out there that can give us attractive football, some tika taka? At this point I've lost hope for promotion, just some good football and hard work is all I ask.

The sooner we lower our expectations of this club the more we'll improve. The pressure of the club just haunts us

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

No. Give him aston villa and he'll do better than bruce.  

Believe me Dean smith is not ready for Aston Villa. Great coach, but you need much more to manage a club like ourselves. He would be a quivering wreck after 10-15 games. Remember he was managing Walsall FC not so long ago on £35k a year. He has not really managed in a big pressure enviroment,  Walsall had no money and Brentford are happy in the Championship.

I have no idea who could manage us next, but what I do know is it needs to be someone who can handle the players and the pressure. We may not be a big club anymore (not that I agree),  but we are a huge company, an we have to be very careful employing managers who 'seem' like they are a good coach, as they need alot more to manage us which has been proven time and time again.

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Believe me Dean smith is not ready for Aston Villa. Great coach, but you need much more to manage a club like ourselves. He would be a quivering wreck after 10-15 games. Remember he was managing Walsall FC not so long ago on £35k a year. He has not really managed in a big pressure enviroment,  Walsall had no money and Brentford are happy in the Championship.

I have no idea who could manage us next, but what I do know is it needs to be someone who can handle the players and the pressure. We may not be a big club anymore (not that I agree),  but we are a huge company, an we have to be very careful employing managers who 'seem' like they are a good coach, as they need alot more to manage us which has been proven time and time again.

Mellberg! 

10 hours ago, villan_007 said:

Rubbish. Brief highlights means you didn't see it.

He was sick of us doing nothing. Took it forward himself a few times and tried to create something. We wasted it and they broke away.

Fact is terry shouldn't be creating anything. He was solid today.

He's the very least of our problems.

Have Villa improved at the back since the signing of Terry or have they looked more vulnerable?

We need to appoint someone who understands modern football and has a philosophy that doesn't include sitting in your own half at home.  

I'd try and convince Thomas Tuchel currently out of work but probably also out of our league.  I dread the thought of Round and Wyness picking a new manager.

• Like 1

Its been said before, its difficult being big club in the Championship, as every other team wants to prove themselves and beat you. This is why big clubs like Newcastle still need big  managers. Other clubs i.e Bristol, Huddersfield, while fighting for promotion haven't got so much pressure as the big teams have.

11 hours ago, TRO said:

Well we certainly agree on  what is being dished up......and its much easier to get rid of one manager than 20 odd players.

I think where we differ is that you feel more of the same will be 'dished up' with a different manager?

For me it depends on who that new manager is. Recent managerial appointments at the Villa have been poor even with several major turnovers in squad. Consider what those managers have done since being sacked by Villa and although none of us can predict the future I would be surprised to see Bruce manage another big club again when he leaves here.

The choice of manager has been the problem so I would suggest that once Villa get rid of Bruce and employ a forward thinking manager then you will see much better performances from the current squad of players and promotion at the end of the season.

16 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

This is part of the problem with us at the moment i think. We've become so obsessed with "he needs to have worked in a high pressure environment,  he needs to of worked in the championship,  he needs to have a big personality. Criteria,  criteria. Steve Bruce not succeeding at Villa has absolutely nothing to do with him being able to handle the pressure at villa. He can't get this team to play anything the resembles football. I'd imagine his training is pretty poor. Smith looks innovative and his teams play attractive football and they look like they clearly know what their role is on the pitch. Would it be a gamble  ? Absolutely.  But the big character who has is experience at big clubs also is. They all are.

23 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Agree. We need a manager who knows what its like to manage a big club and everything that goes with it

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Johnnyp said:

This is part of the problem with us at the moment i think. We've become so obsessed with "he needs to have worked in a high pressure environment,  he needs to of worked in the championship,  he needs to have a big personality. Criteria,  criteria. Steve Bruce not succeeding at Villa has absolutely nothing to do with him being able to handle the pressure at villa. He can't get this team to play anything the resembles football. I'd imagine his training is pretty poor. Smith looks innovative and his teams play attractive football and they look like they clearly know what their role is on the pitch. Would it be a gamble  ? Absolutely.  But the big character who has is experience at big clubs also is. They all are.

Garde says hello!

28 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

This is my worry with dean smith - a big risk .

Its obvious at the moment managing Aston Villa, the pressure is immense. We not only want promotion, we damm well need it!!

A manager not used to managing in this enviroment, i.e Dean bloody Smith, is far from the answer. You see his tactics go down the pan when we start losing games. Someone said he is Lambert mk2 in the making I agree, the Villa will destroy him.. We need a Rafa type in here to save the day.

Since the appointment of Martin O'Neill have Villa really gone out on a limb to spend the type of money needed to attract a big name manager who would be able to deal with the type of pressure that comes with managing a club like Villa? Not so sure when you look at recent Villa managerial appointments that Villa have attempted to do this.

Villa over recent seasons have thrown bucket loads of cash at player purchases yet it seems to me they haven't done that in employing the right manager.

If as previous posts suggest that fans are now recognising the need for a manager who can deal with the pressures of managing Villa, then rather than spending another 10m on a forward why not invest that type of money on a manager who is going to implement his own style of play from the start and not buckle under the pressures of a few defeats?

• Like 1