Life After Death?

Designer1

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

You're wrong. I honestly believe in it.

Do you really believe in it or just hope that it doesn't just all end when we die. I personally think people want to believe it. 

9 minutes ago, darrenm said:

These are the examples of the limited thinking I said about. It's too easy to say that the question is about an afterlife in your own way of thinking and then saying you can't prove it so don't have to prove it.

None of our understanding gives any insight whatsoever into the mechanisms of the universe of how consciousness is assigned or attributed. Why didn't you come into being in a different body in a different time? There's no understanding of that at all and to be so sure of knowing the answer is a bit ignorant.

Sorry, I'm genuinely not trying to be rude or argumentative, but what on earth are you talking about? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

Do you really believe in it or just hope that it doesn't just all end when we die. I personally think people want to believe it. 

Both. Put me on the spot and I will say yes I believe there is an afterlife. Hope also because I could be reunited with my loved ones and live forever in bliss with my wife and kids and other past loved ones. I mean isn't that the ultimate dream to spend eternity with loved ones? It certainly is for me. This is where it probably gets some people because the desire to latch onto that makes them believe there must be an afterlife for emotional reasons only. Either way part of me looks forward to finding out whenever my time is up.

2 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

And we reach full circle :)

Exactly. Until proof exists why believe in random stuff that just doesn't make sense without statements like "I just think there must be something" or "you can't prove there isn't... (insert 'afterlife', 'ghostly spirits', 'fairies at the bottom of my garden', etc.).

• Like 1

It's pretty incredible that we're here already and if there is anything that resembles a heaven, lovely. If not, we're not going to know much about it anyway, so win win.

But no. I'm pretty certain we're wormfood and in a strange way I find that quite comforting.

• Like 1

Just now, brommy said:

Exactly. Until proof exists why believe in random stuff that just doesn't make sense without statements like "I just think there must be something" or "you can't prove there isn't... (insert 'afterlife', 'ghostly spirits', 'fairies at the bottom of my garden', etc.).

Why dismiss paranormal things I've witnessed that did not make sense? Why not question them. I think as we all know by now life itself does not make sense so anything more certainly won't.

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Single minded and ignorant for thinking this is it, or arrogant and self important to think we are destined for something more.

Where do you get the idea of 'destiny'? 

10 minutes ago, Michelsen said:

Sorry, I'm genuinely not trying to be rude or argumentative, but what on earth are you talking about? 

Another example. Limiting your scope to Earth ;-)

Nah I know. It makes sense in my head. I was hoping it would come across coherent. Obviously not.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Both. Put me on the spot and I will say yes I believe there is an afterlife. Hope also because I could be reunited with my loved ones and live forever in bliss with my wife and kids and other past loved ones. I mean isn't that the ultimate dream to spend eternity with loved ones? It certainly is for me. This is where it probably gets some people because the desire to latch onto that makes them believe there must be an afterlife for emotional reasons only. Either way part of me looks forward to finding out whenever my time is up.

I'm interested in what state you think your loved ones will be when you are reunited. Will they be in their prime for no reason (perhaps in their twenties and possibly before you even knew them), or will they be as exactly as decrepit as when they died?

Also, won't you get bored a few billion years into your eternity?

6 minutes ago, brommy said:

I think in any other question you would be right. E.g. ghosts. Lots of science which proves that people are generally hallucinating or mistaking other things for something they can't explain.

But the question of something more i.e. not just the afterlife has no science either way. So you can say disprove it or prove it. The knowledge is null. There's no grounding point to say prove it from.

Probably not making much sense still.

53 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Like most people I had religion pushed onto me as a kid, I guess I accepted it to a point but wouldn't say I was ever a believer.

When I was old enough to really think about it logically, I think I was 11, I came to the conclusion that it was all rather daft really.

So the same as Santa Claus then?

fair enough I get why people sceptical but my point of view is I have faith regardless how silly it might seem to others. Not accusing you of this, but a lot of people for some reason makes them feel more macho belittling those who believe by laughing at others beliefs like heaven which I don't understand. 

If you don't believe fine your choice but allow those to believe without making it sound like a kids story.

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

We are made of recycled star material. When we die our atoms go back into the recycling process. I like that. 

Consciousness is simply a by-product of one stage in the cycle, which allows me to like it. I like that, too. 

First part I agree with. 2nd part please explain how you in particular got into your physical presence. What assigned you? Pure randomness? 

2 minutes ago, brommy said:

I'm interested in what state you think your loved ones will be when you are reunited. Will they be in their prime for no reason (perhaps in their twenties and possibly before you even knew them), or will they be as exactly as decrepit as when they died?

Also, won't you get bored a few billion years into your eternity?

I imagine they would be in their prime as in looks so I would not anticipate them to look like death. Also, I imagine there would be no time like there is no time once you leave the orbit of earth and enter space.

8 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Why dismiss paranormal things I've witnessed that did not make sense? Why not question them. I think as we all know by now life itself does not make sense so anything more certainly won't.

Seriously, if I was thought that I was riding on the back of a purple dragon, had seen a ghost or think I'd witnessed something 'paranormal', I'd prefer to trust that my mind was mistaken.

• Like 2

Â