Life After Death?

Designer1

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

Which brings us to the no proof of their not being an afterlife. Shouldn't we be trying to prove their isn't one rather than trying to prove there is one? After all for many centuries and civilisations before us wasn't it the norm to accept there is  an afterlife. 

Do you really think we need to prove that things don't exist instead of proving that they do exist?!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

It's unorthodox in this day and age, but in days gone by not so.

Yes, I've read that we used to duck women underwater to see if they were a witch. If they didn't drown they were obviously a witch so needed to be burnt at the steak.

Edited by brommy

I think the entity of Jesus Christ could possibly have some higher power in certain circles and situations. Some believe Jesus was a fictional character based on the fantasy that is the bible. I also think the occult good and evil teachings also can open up certain things to people. If I possibly believe in the power of Jesus Christ then surely I'm admitting to also believing in the devil or some kind of form of evil, which I definitely do.

8 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Which brings us to the no proof of their not being an afterlife. Shouldn't we be trying to prove their isn't one rather than trying to prove there is one? After all for many centuries and civilisations before us wasn't it the norm to accept there is  an afterlife. 

That's not how it works. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, brommy said:

Yes, I've read that we used to duck women underwater to see if they were a witch. If they didn't drown they were obviously a witch so needed to be burnt at the steak.

I have heard it still goes on in parts of rugeley, but nowt to do with me like.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Not how science, logic, or common sense works. 

There are an infinite number of crazy theories, people make them up every day. The onus is not on science to 'disprove' each one is false, but on the proponents to prove that it is true. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, brommy said:

Do you really think we need to prove that things don't exist instead of proving that they do exist?!

Just now, Michelsen said:

That's not how it works. 

These are the examples of the limited thinking I said about. It's too easy to say that the question is about an afterlife in your own way of thinking and then saying you can't prove it so don't have to prove it.

None of our understanding gives any insight whatsoever into the mechanisms of the universe of how consciousness is assigned or attributed. Why didn't you come into being in a different body in a different time? There's no understanding of that at all and to be so sure of knowing the answer is a bit ignorant.

Just now, mjmooney said:

Not how science, logic, or common sense works. 

There are an infinite number of crazy theories, people make them up every day. The onus is not on science to 'disprove' each one is false, but on the proponents to prove that it is true. 

Science today plays a very big part in dismissing or proving things and rightly so. There are scientist who actively admit there could possibly be an afterlife. Common sense which we are all meant to use from time to time is a funny one. If I see something for example a ghost then I should use my common sense to dismiss it? 

2 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Was we given an higher stage in life? I would say we was.

Why do you think of the millions of species on the planet we inhabit, Homo sapiens were given a 'higher stage in life' and how does the 'higher stage' manifest itself?

4 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Science today plays a very big part in dismissing or proving things and rightly so. There are scientist who actively admit there could possibly be an afterlife. Common sense which we are all meant to use from time to time is a funny one. If I see something for example a ghost then I should use my common sense to dismiss it? 

Ruge, I have a theory that you actually don't believe in the afterlife or any religion, but actually just fancied a bit of company/banter this evening.:D

Just now, brommy said:

Why do you think of the millions of species on the planet we inhabit, Homo sapiens were given a 'higher stage in life' and how does the 'higher stage' manifest itself?

How many elephants do you see trying to get to mars or the moon? How many snakes know what the human species know about the universe. We either luckily took on that higher stage purely by luck or we were solely for that higher stage. I'm not sure about the last part of your question but what I will say is that there are probably more intelligent life out there on other parts of the universe we don't know about and probably will never know about. I would go as far to say that we are possibly being monitored by things that are far more advanced than us.

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

But you see where I'm coming from.

No. You can't empirically prove there is no life after death, and you can't empirically prove that there is no god. It's a practical, philosophical and logical impossibility. How can you prove the nonexistence of anything? 

Logically, life after death must be a positive quantity, and therefore theoretically possible to prove. 

Ergo, it's up to those who believe in life after death to provide evidence for their position. The other way around is impossible. 

• Like 2

Just now, brommy said:

Ruge, I have a theory that you actually don't believe in the afterlife or any religion, but actually just fancied a bit of company/banter this evening.:D

You're wrong. I honestly believe in it.

Â