London Bridge Incident

What an absolute nightmare situation this is, who will be the next victim? you? or somone in your family?

I have a feeling that this is just the start of a very dark era.

RIP to all the poor innocent souls killed by these savages.

• Like 1

Can I just add that those who quickly call people's suggestions as ridiculous as well as other things but fail to mention what they would do instead? 

It's just like being on Facebook complaining about your government and then not going to vote

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Can I just add that those who quickly call people's suggestions as ridiculous as well as other things but fail to mention what they would do instead? 

It's just like being on Facebook complaining about your government and then not going to vote

I think it's perfectly valid to protest to locking up terrorists families without providing an alternative to be honest.

1 hour ago, Ikantcpell said:

What an absolute nightmare situation this is, who will be the next victim? you? or somone in your family?

I have a feeling that this is just the start of a very dark era.

RIP to all the poor innocent souls killed by these savages.

As someone who works in the City Centre and is regularly in busy areas like New Street Station and pubs in the area it does worry me. I'd be lying if I said it didn't. 

I can fully understand why people are now reevaluating their plans and not going to concerts etc.

Like you say, I think this is jus the beginning :(

8 hours ago, Risso said:

She's done nothing of the sort.  Christ, you get to read some nonsense on here at times, but that's right up there.

What I'm trying to say (poorly) is the following part of her speech;

"It is an ideology that claims our Western values of freedom, democracy and human rights are incompatible with the religion of Islam. It is an ideology that is a perversion of Islam and a perversion of the truth.

Defeating this ideology is one of the great challenges of our time. But it cannot be defeated through military intervention alone. It will not be defeated through the maintenance of a permanent, defensive counter-terrorism operation, however skilful its leaders and practitioners. 

It will only be defeated when we turn people’s minds away from this violence – and make them understand that our values – pluralistic, British values – are superior to anything offered by the preachers and supporters of hate.

Second, we cannot allow this ideology the safe space it needs to breed. Yet that is precisely what the internet – and the big companies that provide internet-based services – provide."

Is that a portion of our less tolerable society will see those words aimed at Islam as a whole (which May hasn't meant).  The white Britain brigade cannot distinguish between the two groups separately.  They see the word "Islam" and apply it everyone who is a Muslim. She's talking about extremists, but I don't think she separates between Islamic extremists and "normal" Muslims enough.   It's a "tar with the same brush" feeling to me.

8 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

What I'm trying to say (poorly) is the following part of her speech;

"It is an ideology that claims our Western values of freedom, democracy and human rights are incompatible with the religion of Islam. It is an ideology that is a perversion of Islam and a perversion of the truth.

Defeating this ideology is one of the great challenges of our time. But it cannot be defeated through military intervention alone. It will not be defeated through the maintenance of a permanent, defensive counter-terrorism operation, however skilful its leaders and practitioners. 

It will only be defeated when we turn people’s minds away from this violence – and make them understand that our values – pluralistic, British values – are superior to anything offered by the preachers and supporters of hate.

Second, we cannot allow this ideology the safe space it needs to breed. Yet that is precisely what the internet – and the big companies that provide internet-based services – provide."

Is that a portion of our less tolerable society will see those words aimed at Islam as a whole (which May hasn't meant).  The white Britain brigade cannot distinguish between the two groups separately.  They see the word "Islam" and apply it everyone who is a Muslim. She's talking about extremists, but I don't think she separates between Islamic extremists and "normal" Muslims enough.   It's a "tar with the same brush" feeling to me.

I can only suggest that anybody who reads it this way or suggests that it is read that way are so caught up in their own ideological beliefs that they can't actually read properly. A bit like Trump's tweet on Sadiq Khan. Either way pretty dumb!!

Just now, andyjsg said:

I can only suggest that anybody who reads it this way or suggests that it is read that way are so caught up in their own ideological beliefs that they can't actually read properly. A bit like Trump's tweet on Sadiq Khan. Either way pretty dumb!!

Ok! Thanks! LOLOLOLOL.

Woah.

12 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

OK, guys. You're horrified by murderous attacks on gay people, right? 

Just imagine the gay community reacting by saying the following: 

"The problem is heterosexuals, but they are not taking sufficient responsibility for stopping it. I'm sure there are many decent straight people, but we all know that, deep down, they all hate us. The only way we can feel safe is to lock them all up, or better still, deport them. Yes, it may seem harsh on the innocent straights among them, but they've brought it on themselves by tacitly condoning homophobic killings. Until this primitive predjudice is stamped out, the world will be unsafe. Enough is enough". 

Now subsititute 'Muslims' for 'Heterosexuals', and consider the logic. 

That's a piss poor analogy.

• Like 3

You will always get race attacks whether it be X on Y or Y on X etc etc and I do think you will get a slight increase after an attack like this too. Honestly though I think a large majority of British people are decent enough to not retaliate let alone on innocent people. I've never once looked at a Muslim and thought you bastards deserve some payback and my views are slightly to the right. I just think as a nation we are decent folk, not all of us of course, but I don't see a big backlash at the moment. Now if they start attacking kids at schools or parks or wherever that might provoke a lot of anger but that's yet to happen. I know a lot of Muslims are sickened by these animals that are acting out in the name of Islam.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

You will always get race attacks whether it be X on Y or Y on X etc etc and I do think you will get a slight increase after an attack like this too. Honestly though I think a large majority of British people are decent enough to not retaliate let alone on innocent people. I've never once looked at a Muslim and thought you bastards deserve some payback and my views are slightly to the right. I just think as a nation we are decent folk, not all of us of course, but I don't see a big backlash at the moment. Now if they start attacking kids at schools or parks or wherever that might provoke a lot of anger but that's yet to happen. I know a lot of Muslims are sickened by these animals that are acting out in the name of Islam.

I frickin hope so chicken! 

Just worried about the potential physical/mental harm of the Good'uns. 

I'm sorry if that comes across as ridiculous. But as we know, text can be taken out of context hence the whole... WOAH!

20 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

OK, guys. You're horrified by murderous attacks on gay people, right? 

Just imagine the gay community reacting by saying the following: 

"The problem is heterosexuals, but they are not taking sufficient responsibility for stopping it. I'm sure there are many decent straight people, but we all know that, deep down, they all hate us. The only way we can feel safe is to lock them all up, or better still, deport them. Yes, it may seem harsh on the innocent straights among them, but they've brought it on themselves by tacitly condoning homophobic killings. Until this primitive predjudice is stamped out, the world will be unsafe. Enough is enough". 

Now subsititute 'Muslims' for 'Heterosexuals', and consider the logic. 

Sorry, but who has said that all muslims hate us?

3 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Sorry, but who has said that all muslims hate us?

"It is an ideology that claims our Western values of freedom, democracy and human rights are incompatible with the religion of Islam." 

whilst not spelling out YOUR WORDS, it's not a giant leap of imagination.. comprendé?

the point is... she obviously doesn't mean ISLAM, but rather ISLAMIC EXTREMISTS.

my entire "dumbass" post is saying I think she could have been more careful with her words as to not single out an entire people, but rather the very tiny minority who use that religion to spread hatred by killing people an stuff.

Edited by lapal_fan

2 minutes ago, turvontour said:
Just now, lapal_fan said:

"It is an ideology that claims our Western values of freedom, democracy and human rights are incompatible with the religion of Islam." 

whilst not spelling out YOUR WORDS, it's not a giant leap of imagination.. comprendé?

the point is... she obviously doesn't mean ISLAM, but rather ISLAMIC EXTREMISTS.

And like Trumps quote you have missed the key part of her statement.

Perhaps we should out pressure on our government to reveal the contents of the suppressed report @Chindie mentioned earlier.

It wouldn't surprise me to find the Saudis have been funding radicalisation in the UK, they do it everywhere else. 

It's the ideology that we need to fight as much as the people who espouse it. We can't do that with hollow words like "enough is enough", but with transparency and being honest and reflective on what we have done as much as anyone else.

Â