London Bridge Incident

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

As I said terrorism will never go away but if certain measures are put into place and they infringe on our rights then providing they will genuinely help in the fight against terrorism then so be it.

How can you be sure the government are genuine?

Theresa May has wanted to spy on our internet usage for years.

39 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I think her saying we have been too "tolerant of extremism" is dangerous, personally.

Haven't we?

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

How can you be sure the government are genuine?

Theresa May has wanted to spy on our internet usage for years.

Governments are not genuine. Even the best governments have skeletons in the closet. I think saying we could end up like NK is a bit ott, but maybe I'm going all ott on the terrorism threat? 

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

Governments are not genuine. Even the best governments have skeletons in the closet. I think saying we could end up like NK is a bit ott, but maybe I'm going all ott on the terrorism threat? 

"Governments are not genuine, but I'm willing to blindly hand them my privacy in the name of 'national security"

How can you not see the dissonance in that statement?

I came in to make a point how people say their trust in politicians is at an all time low, yet many are seemingly willing to hand over their freedom with no questions asked, but my point was just proven already.

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I'm honestly baffled where this 'we have been too tolerant of extremists' bollocks has come from.

Too mnay people in the muslim community won't speak up, or turn a blind eye to what's going on.  Enough is enough.

5 hours ago, Awol said:

The auto-response is therefore hashtags, pray for [insert location], hold a candlelit vigil, declare the country united, the perpetrators non-religious and 'move on' - as quickly as possible. I suspect this formula can't hold for much longer. 

Indeed. There will only be so many candlelight vigils and soundbites like "We must carry on as normal" and "We are not scared" before the public mood changes to one of anger and resentment. I just hope there isn't a backlash against innocent people. 

People will change their routines and daily life if the rate of attacks stays the same. I don't blame them to be honest. I'm deeply worried that Birmingham will be soon :(

4 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I'm honestly baffled where this 'we have been too tolerant of extremists' bollocks has come from.

It's a similar thing to Cameron's comments after the last election back about needing to be 'intolerant of intolerance'.

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

"Governments are not genuine, but I'm willing to blindly hand them my privacy in the name of 'national security"

How can you not see the dissonance in that statement?

I came in to make a point how people say their trust in politicians is at an all time low, yet many are seemingly willing to hand over their freedom with no questions asked, but my point was just proven already.

Ironic I know but you must realise the world we live in and that even the good things in life are far from perfect. I want as much national security as possible to limit and tackle this problem because it's not going away. 

17 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I don't understand how this demonstrates tolerance?

And, even if it did, I think it's a dangerous statement for the Prime Minister to make.  "Enough is enough", "we have tolerated extremism".  It's heading down the path we all don't want it to head down.

Would "we will continue to tolerate extremism" have sounded better? 

Ironic I know but you must realise the world we live in and that even the good things in life are far from perfect. I want as much national security as possible to limit and tackle this problem because it's not going away. 

But where do you draw the line?

You've said here you're happy to have some of your freedom curtailed. Where do you say enough is enough? Email? Phone calls? Post?

Just now, Awol said:

Would "we will continue to tolerate extremism" have sounded better? 

We don't tolerate it in the first place - so, no, it would be (yet another) lie.

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

But where do you draw the line?

You've said here you're happy to have some of your freedom curtailed. Where do you say enough is enough? Email? Phone calls? Post?

Honestly? I hope it never gets that bad for me to make a decision.

Honestly? I hope it never gets that bad for me to make a decision.

Answer the question.

You've said you're happy for people to monitor your internet. So what's your line in the sand, in the name of 'national security'?

Â