Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

3 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I was trying to be funny like that Lapal word removed 😔

Yea but everyone here knows I'm cool.

They also know you're a massive tit, so naturally, they'd not think you were joking.

Face it sister, you ain't got nothin' on *this*

*Proceeds to twerk uncontrollably into a pot of stew*

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

(Why cant Boeing / Airbus over the air kill the planes on the ground via software ?)

By and large there are multiple reasons why not:

Firstly to hit a kill switch in Toulouse or Seattle and have an effect on an aircraft computer on a powered down aircraft on the ground in Moscow - you’d need a internet or radio connection, right?  But obviously there isn’t one. Most if not all aircraft kit on civil aircraft is stand- alone LRIs (black boxes). It’s either powered on and running or powered Down and “dead”. 
Next, safety. What if any such kill function accidentally got triggered with the aircraft in the air, or about to rotate, or just at touch down. And suddenly a key function (throttle control, braking, attitude or altitude sensing for example) is lost. Or if it was deliberate, same effect.

That’s not to say that no aspect of a plane’s functionality can be affected remotely, but anything that can be, you introduce an additional failure mechanism for that function, which goes against key safety principles. So only non safety critical functions would ever, IMO, be candidates for such a remote access/control “back door”.

Russia’s problems will be around parts and servicing and lifed items.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

By and large there are multiple reasons why not:

Firstly to hit a kill switch in Toulouse or Seattle and have an effect on an aircraft computer on a powered down aircraft on the ground in Moscow - you’d need a internet or radio connection, right?  But obviously there isn’t one. Most if not all aircraft kit on civil aircraft is stand- alone LRIs (black boxes). It’s either powered on and running or powered Down and “dead”. 
Next, safety. What if any such kill function accidentally got triggered with the aircraft in the air, or about to rotate, or just at touch down. And suddenly a key function (throttle control, braking, attitude or altitude sensing for example) is lost. Or if it was deliberate, same effect.

That’s not to say that no aspect of a plane’s functionality can be affected remotely, but anything that can be, you introduce an additional failure mechanism for that function, which goes against key safety principles. So only non safety critical functions would ever, IMO, be candidates for such a remote access/control “back door”.

Russia’s problems will be around parts and servicing and lifed items.

I thought it was a good question, until it wasn't.😄

Thanks for good info.  Airbus and Boeing should say they are going to do it anyway(Even though it cant be done (We know that) ,  the idiot Russians will pull all the cables out hopefully or keep them in a faraday gage.

21 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I thought it was a good question, until it wasn't.😄

Thanks for good info.  Airbus and Boeing should say they are going to do it anyway(Even though it cant be done (We know that) ,  the idiot Russians will pull all the cables out hopefully or keep them in a faraday gage.

No, it is a good question. I think someone else asked similar, maybe 4 or 5 months ago, so you’re in good company, or possibly it might have been @tonyh29 posting that his mate reckoned they could do something to ground the aircraft and I said I didn’t know what that might be (for the same reasons I’ve just posted).

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, blandy said:

No, it is a good question. I think someone else asked similar, maybe 4 or 5 months ago, so you’re in good company, or possibly it might have been @tonyh29 posting that his mate reckoned they could do something to ground the aircraft and I said I didn’t know what that might be (for the same reasons I’ve just posted).

mine was from an employee at xxxx Airspace , looking at my Whatsapp it was 18th Feb so before the actual invasion , but as they are one of the top 2 US govts  defence contractors they were being briefed in advance to see how quickly they could deny Russia access to the service(s) 

Wasn't a kill switch , more about removing Russian access to a given system that effectively would mean there aircraft would be flying blind ,  which I'd imagine would effectively ground any respectable airline but maybe not Russian ones :)  .. there is only one alternative to their system  , which is a French system  , it possible Russian commercial planes have switched to this  ?

Problem is the technical terms were badly quoted by me and not something I fully understood , so don't think it was given much credence ,  and certainly not  by @blandy  :P 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

mine was from an employee at xxxx Airspace , looking at my Whatsapp it was 18th Feb so before the actual invasion , but as they are one of the top 2 US govts  defence contractors they were being briefed in advance to see how quickly they could deny Russia access to the service(s) 

Wasn't a kill switch , more about removing Russian access to a given system that effectively would mean there aircraft would be flying blind ,  which I'd imagine would effectively ground any respectable airline but maybe not Russian ones :)  .. there is only one alternative to their system  , which is a French system  , it possible Russian commercial planes have switched to this  ?

Problem is the technical terms were badly quoted by me and not something I fully understood , so don't think it was given much credence ,  and certainly not  by @blandy  :P 

You made me look for the posts

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, blandy said:

You made me look for the posts

I told you I  muddled the technical terms ..definitely isn't GPS or remotely turning off software ( though I'm fairly sure I didn't say that) 

I just messaged him and asked " did your mob ever turn off the flight system thingy for Russian airlines 

he replied with " yeah , ages ago  , no Aeroflot flights kinda outside of Russia , tho they seem to somehow still be flying to Turkey and Egypt "  

so grounded might not be the exact term , but they are essentially grounded  outside of Russia as you can kinda see from this current flight radar map 

Edit- he just added   "they will be flying mute and deaf with no radios so i wouldn't recommend it " 

image.thumb.png.605fdd303a2c1c6dd5525700e77103b7.png

Edited by tonyh29

5 hours ago, sidcow said:

Agree.  This is where his massive miscalculation has backfired spectacularly.

I suspect somewhere in the background the whole thing started because he knows their entire wealth is based on oil and gas. That is going to end in most peoples lifetimes now.  He knows the writing is on the wall for Oil and Gas so needs to move Russia into another area.   Maybe he wanted control over the huge swathes of Grain and Sunflower Oil fields.  People will always need to eat, that's not going to change.  This could be Russia's new oil.

But if that is his aim, he's just shortened his timescales massively, he needs to replace Oil and Gas NOW because no one is going to pay him premium for it and so he's got to sell it off cheaply elsewhere to countries that don't have any infrastructure to bring it in cheaply either.  Building new pipelines to new markets is going to take years and cost huge sums of money, and all the while the world is weaning itself off Oil and Gas more and more.

What else is there for Russia?  They're not particularly good at making stuff so they're not likely to usurp Germany in Europe or Japan in the Far East as a manufacturing super power.   They're never going to be a financial super power.

A much better bet would have been to put all those hackers to good use and try to become a tech super power.  Things move quickly in the tech world so maybe they could have done that, become the new South Korea.  But no, he seems to have gone down the start a war and try to seize territory route which will end in disaster for Russia, no question.

When Medvedev was president (no not the tennis player) he was vaguely pro western and was talking about high tec parks. However that all came to nothing and now he is a just a bloated Putin hawk.  They have wasted all the oil and gas money spending on the plutocrats hobbies  and not infrastructure.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I told you I  muddled the technical terms ..definitely isn't GPS or remotely turning off software ( though I'm fairly sure I didn't say that) 

I just messaged him and asked " did your mob ever turn off the flight system thingy for Russian airlines 

he replied with " yeah , ages ago  , no Aeroflot flights kinda outside of Russia , tho they seem to somehow still be flying to Turkey and Egypt "  

so grounded might not be the exact term , but they are essentially grounded  outside of Russia as you can kinda see from this current flight radar map 

Edit- he just added   "they will be flying mute and deaf with no radios so i wouldn't recommend it " 

image.thumb.png.605fdd303a2c1c6dd5525700e77103b7.png

Hmmm. Thanks.

They’re clearly not grounded as they are flying around, as we both agree. I know Russian airlines are basically banned by many nations from using their airspace or landing in those nations. That would explain some of the huge reduction in Flights outside Russian airspace.

As for “flying mute and deaf with no radios” I find that extremely hard to believe.  All civil voice radio comms is in the same frequency band, VHF 109 - 139 MHz (from memory) worldwide. It’s not encrypted, it’s not complex, there are numerous off the shelf radios made by multiple different nations (not just France and USA which your earlier post seemed to imply was the only two nations with this tech). Maybe for some Boeing aircraft the cockpit communications control system used to select channels, select to transmit etc. would be something where…no…can’t really see it.  

Software defined radios are possibly fitted to most modern airliners and by their nature they can be remotely accessed if connected to a network in some instances…but again I don’t know how your mate’s company could make that happen from the USA, it would need user consent and cooperation at the aircraft, but even if they could, Russia could just replace them with alternative transmitter/receivers relatively easily and away they go.

We all live and learn, but I’m highly sceptical of the claim.

I’m still perplexed.

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

Hmmm. Thanks.

They’re clearly not grounded as they are flying around, as we both agree. I know Russian airlines are basically banned by many nations from using their airspace or landing in those nations. That would explain some of the huge reduction in Flights outside Russian airspace.

As for “flying mute and deaf with no radios” I find that extremely hard to believe.  All civil voice radio comms is in the same frequency band, VHF 109 - 139 MHz (from memory) worldwide. It’s not encrypted, it’s not complex, there are numerous off the shelf radios made by multiple different nations (not just France and USA which your earlier post seemed to imply was the only two nations with this tech). Maybe for some Boeing aircraft the cockpit communications control system used to select channels, select to transmit etc. would be something where…no…can’t really see it.  

Software defined radios are possibly fitted to most modern airliners and by their nature they can be remotely accessed if connected to a network in some instances…but again I don’t know how your mate’s company could make that happen from the USA, it would need user consent and cooperation at the aircraft, but even if they could, Russia could just replace them with alternative transmitter/receivers relatively easily and away they go.

We all live and learn, but I’m highly sceptical of the claim.

I’m still perplexed.

essentially they are grounded but rather than argue semantics up on my poor choice of word  .. I'll rephrase it as  , they are limited to flying around (blind) inside a limited corridor , predominantly internal to Russia, whilst not being able to fly in the rest of the world :) 

He doesn't work for an airline so this is definitely nothing Boeing or Airbus specific ,   I'm not sure what else I can offer tbh  , I respect and appreciate what you are saying , but equally , knowing who he works for and what he does I'm 100% confident my mate didn't sit there back in Feb making stuff up for his amusement and then decide to share it with me as part of some long term prank 

Maybe one day before a villa game  , I'll get the two of you in a pub together and you can speak geek to each other without me muddling things  and all will become clearer :) 

• Like 1

Unconfirmed reports the Ukrainians are attacking Lyman too, which is east of Izyum and not in the area directly threatened by the current breakthrough. You may remember it from a few months back where the Russians spent weeks and an unholy amount of blood and munitions to take that area.

If the Ukrainians take it back in the next few days (still a big if) then that whole front seems like it might be on the point of collapse. Feels too good to be true tbh - but I wouldn’t rule anything out after the last few days!

Edited by Panto_Villan

Â