Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

1 hour ago, Panto_Villan said:

Unconfirmed reports the Ukrainians are attacking Lyman too, which is east of Izyum and not in the area directly threatened by the current breakthrough. You may remember it from a few months back where the Russians spent weeks and an unholy amount of blood and munitions to take that area.

If the Ukrainians take it back in the next few days (still a big if) then that whole front seems like it might be on the point of collapse. Feels too good to be true tbh - but I wouldn’t rule anything out after the last few days!

Just read that too, also claims that they've actually taken Izyum too

Its very hard to keep up the last few days

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

equally , knowing who he works for and what he does I'm 100% confident my mate didn't sit there back in Feb making stuff up for his amusement and then decide to share it with me as part of some long term prank 

Maybe one day before a villa game  , I'll get the two of you in a pub together and you can speak geek to each other w

Oh absolutely Tony. Sorry it’s just my nature as an Avionic systems engineer to want to understand stuff in my field whilst trying not to be too nerdy.

• Like 3

Am I the only one who’s almost worried about how relentlessly the good news has been coming out in the last few days?

It seems like the Ukrainians have executed something pretty special here - best explanation seems to be this speed advantage they have with interior lines allowing them to shuttle between the two fronts much more quickly than Russia can.

Just wondering if Putin has some nasty options up his sleeve, or if this really is getting close to the endgame. The “stalemate” that a lot of pessimists have been talking about is surely not on the cards now, given the gains that have been made recently?

24 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Am I the only one who’s almost worried about how relentlessly the good news has been coming out in the last few days?

It seems like the Ukrainians have executed something pretty special here - best explanation seems to be this speed advantage they have with interior lines allowing them to shuttle between the two fronts much more quickly than Russia can.

Just wondering if Putin has some nasty options up his sleeve, or if this really is getting close to the endgame. The “stalemate” that a lot of pessimists have been talking about is surely not on the cards now, given the gains that have been made recently?

Funny what 1 million nato trained men, intel and precision weapons coupled with a desire to stop their families being raped and put in mass graves does to a military force, eh?

The amount of cope comments from pro-Putin shills in the West in the last couple of days is comedy gold.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

The area they are attacking around Kharkiv is really poorly defended mainly by LDNR troops, most of whom have been pressganged into service and Rosvgardia who don’t have close to full training with artillery etc. All the troops proper that were in this area were transferred and are now trapped in the Kherson area

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

The area they are attacking around Kharkiv is really poorly defended mainly by LDNR troops, most of whom have been pressganged into service and Rosvgardia who don’t have close to full training with artillery etc. All the troops proper that were in this area were transferred and are now trapped in the Kherson area

Well yeah, from what I can gather from Twitter (not entirely reliable, I know) it seems like a massive deception. Force Russians to send reinforcements down to Kherson, then take advantage of the speed advantage from the interior lines...

...to rapidly launch a proper counter-offensive in Kharkiv, while holding ground around Kherson.

It seems so simple when explained like this, but I imagine an enormous amount of planning and preparation went into it. I'm in awe of how well this has been executed. I know it's easy to say the Russians are a shambles, but still, in the modern information age, it must be so hard to credibly deceive the enemy like this, and to capitalise on that deception so effectively.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Genie said:

Wow, quite a statement. Incredible if anything close to accurate.

If you think that he's reacting to stuff that has been put out there, you also have to factor in that as much as they've had an almost news blackout around Kherson, they will still be delaying what gets into the public domain around Kharkiv too, basic OPSEC dictates that. We're probably all 12 to 24 hours behind the real news

It's accurate to what pictures are out there, flags raised above both Izyum and Kupyansk and the story about Izyum, the most crucial of places that Russia has lost thousands of lives over seems to be true, the Russians just ran away.

Russia has just lost its main supply routes into Donbas, so not only will they have to configure a new front line somewhere, they'll have to totally rethink supply lines. It may not actually be possible

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

If you think that he's reacting to stuff that has been put out there, you also have to factor in that as much as they've had an almost news blackout around Kherson, they will still be delaying what gets into the public domain around Kharkiv too, basic OPSEC dictates that. We're probably all 12 to 24 hours behind the real news

It's accurate to what pictures are out there, flags raised above both Izyum and Kupyansk and the story about Izyum, the most crucial of places that Russia has lost thousands of lives over seems to be true, the Russians just ran away.

Russia has just lost its main supply routes into Donbas, so not only will they have to configure a new front line somewhere, they'll have to totally rethink supply lines. It may not actually be possible

It’s just flashed up that the Russians have abandoned Lyman too (unconfirmed still), as well as Izyum. Kupyansk seems like old news now. That was, like, four hours ago?

I do wonder if we’re in the stage where we’re seeing things happen in much closer to real-time though, particularly as much of the news is first coming in from pro-Russian channels.

This front isn’t necessarily representative of the whole Russian war effort, of course, but it seems to be totally disintegrating. 

Edited by Panto_Villan

2 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

This front isn’t necessarily representative of the whole Russian war effort, of course, but it seems to be totally disintegrating. 

If this front is pushed back significantly, it affects the whole of the Donbas front eventually as Russia will either have to pull troops north or be at risk of defending on two sides, which then leaves that entire front much weaker. It really could be a house of cards in the East

Incidentally, this guy is my favourite delusional idiot desperately trying to spin everything into a victory for Russia.

It’s especially hilarious because he’s been away for a couple of months and chose today to come back. Y’know, when things have been going so well for the Russians.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, bickster said:

If this front is pushed back significantly, it affects the whole of the Donbas front eventually as Russia will either have to pull troops north or be at risk of defending on two sides, which then leaves that entire front much weaker. It really could be a house of cards in the East

Yeah, and to be honest I think it will be. But it’s just worth remembering that even if the entire front totally collapses there’ll still be plenty of Russian-held territory in Ukraine. The war’s not over yet.

Just now, Panto_Villan said:

Yeah, and to be honest I think it will be. But it’s just worth remembering that even if the entire front totally collapses there’ll still be plenty of Russian-held territory in Ukraine. The war’s not over yet.

Thats absolutely correct but as all these losses are being put out there in RUssian telegram channels, there must be an awful lot of troops even in Kherson getting highly demoralised as they must know by now that their supply lines are buggered.

Also interesting news that RUssia has sent 1000+ Khaydrovites into Kherson, as they are usually at the back to shoot deserters

Thing is, if this is what happens with the volunteer troops. How are the conscripted troops going to act if Putin is forced down that route? They're going to be less motivated than this lot who are currently running away. 

• Like 1

Â