• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

54 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

"Tactical wide-spread Regrouping"

Plus equipment upgrading (leaving old stuff behind to get better stuff in Russia)

There’s talk of at least 20 t90s and several of the terminators being captured by Ukraine just today. Russia is still delivering far more to Ukraine than anyone else. 

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

It is interesting to think about how it might play out of eventually Ukraine push Russian troops all the way back into Russia.

What would Putin do/say?

They technically are a democracy, is there anyone brave enough to trigger no confidence in the leader? 

2 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Resign for treason? Consider me skeptical.

I'm skeptical too but it's not just on Twitter.

District council members in St Petersburg have called for Vladimir Putin to be removed from office for committing treason, marking a rare and daring protest against the war....

Telegraph

32 minutes ago, bickster said:

It wasn't resign, they called for the Duma to charge him with treason

All 7 have been subsequently arrested I think.

This is the problem with 1’s and 2’s, they get locked up. 
They need all top officials to go against him, maybe a military coup? They can’t lock them all up 

13 hours ago, Genie said:

It is interesting to think about how it might play out of eventually Ukraine push Russian troops all the way back into Russia.

What would Putin do/say?

They technically are a democracy, is there anyone brave enough to trigger no confidence in the leader? 

I think there is a strong chance of a Russian Civil War.  The Generals know that they will take the blame for military defeats.  You can bet that there is already plotting. But no-one knows who to trust.  

This could be one of the reasons Putin isn't diverting more regular troops to Ukraine.  If he gives that order and the army does not move he has started the Civil War.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I think there is a strong chance of a Russian Civil War.  The Generals know that they will take the blame for military defeats.  You can bet that there is already plotting. But no-one knows who to trust.  

This could be one of the reasons Putin isn't diverting more regular troops to Ukraine.  If he gives that order and the army does not move he has started the Civil War.  

I was about to post the same. If the Russians get routed over the next few weeks couple of months there has to be the possibility of a coup or the Country dividing and descending into civil war. A lot of powerful people in Russia are going to start panicking if forces on the frontlines get wiped out or forced into a full on retreat. 

As soon as we see a few hundred Russians surrender with white flags in the media I think we are nearly at the end for the military operation.  They are looking for any way out now and the realize the Himars etc are not beatable long term.  Hopefully they will get tired of running soon enough.

The sanctions are a different thing alltogether.  No matter what,  Russia as an economy is finished.

48 minutes ago, Genie said:

Ukraine have several more gears they can go through if needed, if backed fully by the West.

Have Russia already thrown everything at this (apart from nukes)?

That is my question to somebody far more intelligent than I am! 

Have Russia just sent in a load of conscripts and kids first, holding back the big guns until later?

As daft as it sounds, you look at the size of Russia next to Ukraine geographically and it’s hard to believe Ukraine are pushing them back and winning the war! It feels as though Russia must have something better than what they’ve served up to date… right?

Edited by Delphinho123

23 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Have Russia just sent in a load of conscripts and kids first, holding back the big guns until later?

Nope, a hell of a lot of the experienced soldiers have been wiped out

There really are no big guns that have been held back. The only things held back are the newer wonder weapons which are thought by an awful lot of people to be just not very good.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Nope, a hell of a lot of the experienced soldiers have been wiped out

There really are no big guns that have been held back. The only thinks held back are the newer wonder weapons which are thought by an awful lot of people to be just not very good.

Great. Thanks. 

3 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

What would be the fault lines in a Russian Civil War? As **** as everything is with Chechnya etc, the vast majority of the population (81%) are Russian-speaking ethnic Russians, so ethnicity doesn’t seem likely. Similar story with religion.

The ideological civil war of early 20th century likely won’t be refought, as most Russians are just different brands of Russian nationalism, and Putin hasn’t allowed much space for debate.

So seems more likely any overthrow of Putin would be more of an elite-led coup, maybe falling apart into factions around different personalities? Would that lead to full blown civil war? Doesn’t seem like the classic setup for a civil war, but guess we’re in uncharted territory already.

Edited by KentVillan

Â