Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

1 hour ago, Genie said:

If/when Russia break into Kyiv, they get into the presidential building and there stands Zelensky. What do they do? 

Kill him? That would clearly spark a reaction from Europe, the West and NATO wouldn’t it?

Detain him? That would be extremely messy too.

Maybe this unwinnable situation partially explains why Russia are slow to take the capital? When do they do when they finally get inside the city walls.

Either killing him or detaining him would work just fine. Probably send him to a Russian prison to await a 'fair trial' and then have him meet an accident inside, if I had to guess.

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

Either killing him or detaining him would work just fine. Probably send him to a Russian prison to await a 'fair trial' and then have him meet an accident inside, if I had to guess.

What are they gonna charge him with?

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

I disagree.

Its hard go see how taking Kyiv doesn’t end up in escalation from others.

If by 'escalation' you mean more sanctions, more isolating Russia, more angry words, then sure. There's not going to be a military escalation, for the same reason there hasn't been one yet. 

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

If by 'escalation' you mean more sanctions, more isolating Russia, more angry words, then sure. There's not going to be a military escalation, for the same reason there hasn't been one yet. 

I hope not, but I suspect that killing or detaining a completely innocent leader of a democratic European country might cross a line. And the justification will be that the risk of Russia progressing beyond Ukraine is too high not to act now.

I pray it doesn’t come to that, but I think once Russia get into Kyiv it’ll get very interesting.

Satellite images on TV show that the Ukrainians have flooded the areas Russia have occupied north of Kiev. In combination with attacking the head and end of columns this is extremely effective in stopping any advance.

Off the top of my head Ukraine must be getting intel and assistance from NATO strategists. Everything they seem to be doing is like out of a book on defensive manouvering.

18 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Russia could turn the entirety of Ukraine into a sheet of glass and all they would earn is increased sanctions and isolation.

I was gonna say, what is the world gonna do if they take Kiev, kidnap Zelenski? Join the war, flatten Russia, cause WW3?

They won't do anything, just stand and watch like they have been. Biden has already said it's not our war (which I thought was strange for a world leader), but most will follow. I just hope we don't start giving it the biggun, when most including Nato are staying out of it.

4 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Satellite images on TV show that the Ukrainians have flooded the areas Russia have occupied north of Kiev. In combination with attacking the head and end of columns this is extremely effective in stopping any advance.

Off the top of my head Ukraine must be getting intel and assistance from NATO strategists. Everything they seem to be doing is like out of a book on defensive manouvering.

They will be, from Nato special forces, who are blatantly helping out on the ground. We would all like to think it, but there is no way the Ukrainians are doing this all this on there own.

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

They will be, from Nato special forces, who are blatantly helping out on the ground.

I think this is wrong. There's no way any NATO country currently has boots on the ground, should anyone of them be found by Russia WW3 will officially have started and NATO are trying to avoid that at any cost.

Will they be getting tactical assistance abd intelligence? I would imagine yes but boots on the ground? not at all

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bickster said:

I think this is wrong. There's no way any NATO country currently has boots on the ground, should anyone of them be found by Russia WW3 will officially have started and NATO are trying to avoid that at any cost.

Will they be getting tactical assistance abd intelligence? I would imagine yes but boots on the ground? not at all

I’m not so sure - retired special forces guys volunteering? Or “trainers” operating in relatively safe regions of western Ukraine? These both seem fairly plausible to me.

• Like 1

Â