Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

16 minutes ago, bickster said:

Maybe we Ukraine would be best advised not to install any granite worktops in their homes, just in case it upsets Vlad?

University level comedy, I love it.

Exp: granite contains trace amounts of uranium and radium, and would likely be called a 'nuclear weapon' by Vlad.

Edited by magnkarl
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

1 hour ago, Genie said:

It’s just more fuel for the home audience, confirmed by us that we’re putting nuclear weapons on the battlefield.

It’s done, but I’d have just avoided it personally . 

So we should send them Challenger Tanks,  but no ammunition to use?  depleted Uranium shells is what the Challenger uses - it's that simple.. It can't fire NATO ammunition, it's a British barrel that is designed to use Depleted Uranium Shells.

Edited by sidcow

You know it's going well when you've gotta bring out 70 year old tanks to go up against modern Western tanks.

Some modern machine guns will be able to penetrate the armor of those bad boys.

Edited by magnkarl
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

So we should send them Challenger Tanks,  but no ammunition to use?  depleted Uranium shells is what the Challenger uses - it's that simple

Is that the only type of ammunition they can fire? 

35 minutes ago, bickster said:

@GenieGranite worktops are radioactive

So are smoke detectors, fertiliser, ceramic tiles, brazil nuts, bananas, shit that glows in the dark...

Pah.  Next you'll be saying that radium dials on watches used to poison the ladies who painted them.

Just now, magnkarl said:

You know it's going well when you've gotta bring out 70 year old tanks to go up against modern Western tanks.

Some modern machine guns will be able to penetrate the armor of those bad boys.

So,Vlad is going to pull out al the stops now?.....Scary.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

To quote myself, I just read this on sky news

Russia has accused the UK of increasing the chances of a "nuclear collision" by supplying Ukraine with armour-piercing depleted uranium tank shells.

President Vladimir Putin warned Russiawould have to "respond accordingly", as he seized another chance to threaten a nuclear escalation in the Ukraine war.

Minister of state for defence Baroness Annabel Goldie confirmed some of the ammunition for the Challenger 2 battle tanks that Britain is sending to Ukraine includes armour-piercing rounds which contain depleted uranium.

It appears there are other types of ammunition on hand. It seems like in the minority with my view that poking the nuclear bear again is generally not the best idea and is avoidable. Fire the shit out of his army with weapons that he can’t try and suggest are nuclear when we know they aren’t, really. Easiest way to not need to have the conversation is to just hold the DU shells back.

His “new” tanks are made out of wet cardboard so those DU shells are probably overkill anyway.

Edited by Genie

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

Possibly but not effectively against other tanks.  NATO use rifled barrels which spin the ammunition to make it penetrate better.

Britain used a smooth barrel with reliance on hardened depleted uranium heads to pierce armour, there is plenty of reasons on t'internet explaining why we went for this.

When Challengers are upgraded we are swapping to the Rifled barrel to allow ammunition sharing with NATO forces as we can only use our own ammunition currently.   I expect they're delighted to be sending these over as it takes away a disposal cost!

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Possibly but not effectively against other tanks.  NATO use rifled barrels which spin the ammunition to make it penetrate better.

Britain used a smooth barrel with reliance on hardened depleted uranium heads to pierce armour, there is plenty of reasons on t'internet explaining why we went for this.

When Challengers are upgraded we are swapping to the Rifled barrel to allow ammunition sharing with NATO forces as we can only use our own ammunition currently.   I expect they're delighted to be sending these over as it takes away a disposal cost!

It’s the other way around. British tanks are the last ones with a rifled barrel, but the next design will go smooth like the rest of NATO. 

The rifle barrel improves accuracy at distance.

The depleted uranium is an extra tough material that can punch through enemy armour without breaking up on impact. It’s essentially a heavy dart that punches through. 

Their other ammunition is an explosive head. It won’t punch through a modern tank but is used against concrete bunkers etc 

Edited by LondonLax
  • Thanks 1

Unless I'm very much mistaken, the Challenger generally has a rifled barrel, which is unusual, most tanks are smooth bore.

The rifling does improve accuracy, but it has another use, which also answers the ammunition question. The Challenger uses HESH rounds, high explosive squash head, which essentially fire a plastic explosive that smashes into the target, spreads out and explodes, causing a shockwave that travels through the material hit and causes the other side of the material to sheer off into small sharp projectiles. The rifling causes the plastic explosive to spread further by spinning.

The DU rounds are armour piercing kinetic rounds. They essentially are massive darts. The rifling actually hampers these rounds and we have to modify the sabot to allow a small amount of the gas to escape around the round and prevent it spinning.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Maybe we Ukraine would be best advised not to install any granite worktops in their homes, just in case it upsets Vlad?

I assume some folk don't realise that granite is mildly radioactive. 

Â