Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

12 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Ukraine had been talking as recently as last week about a negotiated peace which included the sacrifice of some land, including Crimea

Or were they calling Russias bluff? It’s certainly the way it seemed to me. They knew Russia wasn’t seriously negotiating. And that was last week. A lot has been revealed since then that just might have changed minds and resolve both in Ukraine and from its supporting countries

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

Or were they calling Russias bluff? It’s certainly the way it seemed to me. 

I dunno, but it's up to them.

And that was last week. A lot has been revealed since then that just might have changed minds and resolve both in Ukraine and from its supporting countries

That definitely seems to be the case.

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Nato countries have agreed to give Ukraine newer, heavier equipment - this is absolutely the time to do so. Got a feeling that all sides have agreed that nuclear is not an option. 

Nuclear will always be just a deterrent. It's working for Russia as it should. Although I'm beginning to think if their Nuclear arsenal is actually even operational, if it is, I very much doubt they have the 6000+ which has previously been quoted. One thing this "special operation" has showed, is the Russians are mostly full of shit!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Nuclear will always be just a deterrent. It's working for Russia as it should. Although I'm beginning to think if their Nuclear arsenal is actually even operational, if it is, I very much doubt they have the 6000+ which has previously been quoted. One thing this "special operation" has showed, is the Russians are mostly full of shit!!

Fine line between "FFS, we're a laughing stock" and "I'll teach them for laughing at me" though

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Amen. No more pretending. Russia can **** off back to soviet times. It won't work. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

This is where they keep their nuclear arsenal. No, you can't look inside.

image.jpeg.5e36d9233700e1a4f84017244ff5d1e6.jpeg

• Like 1

On the nukes thing, I doubt they’ve got enough launch ready ICBs to be able to take out everyone else’s launch sites, never mind actually do damage to populated areas.

No good having 6000 warheads if you’ve only got enough launchers to get a fraction of them in the air before you’re blasted into oblivion 

7 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Amen. No more pretending. Russia can **** off back to soviet times. It won't work. 

If Ukraine, armed to the teeth by NATO, keep progressing then Russia will be **** off back to, well, Russia.

Edited by Genie

42 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Nato countries have agreed to give Ukraine newer, heavier equipment - this is absolutely the time to do so. Got a feeling that all sides have agreed that nuclear is not an option. 

Ya, I guess they had a meeting where decided not to end the world.

12 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Ya, I guess they had a meeting where decided not to end the world.

I mean, they probably did. There was a lot of nuclear signalling early on, then nothing. If you're in power, anywhere with nuclear weapons then it is now clear that Nato is not going to attack Russia, and Russia is not going to attack Nato. Which is why Nato need to sign up the likes of Finland as fast as possible. 

Just listened to the Pink Floyd single. Jesus Christ. Even by their standards it's miserable and identikit sounding. Before it even started I knew what Nick Mason would be playing on the drums. And as for the twenty minute guitar solo (which is impressively squeezed into only three minutes) I'm pretty sure I've heard it at least one hundred and eleventy times in the last forty years.

However ... What a genuinely wonderful gesture from the band. No complaints there, so big round of applause for them overall.

• Like 1

This morning I was watching videos of Scientists examined the trenches that the Russians dug in the highly radioactive land around Chernobyl.  These weren't just trenches for personnel. There were massive trenches to house vehicles.  The scientists opinion was that the troops are likely to be seriously ill.  

But he pointed out 2 other things that made their survival chances much worse.

They cut down trees for camp fires. Wood stores radioactivity until its disturbed.  Its very likely that they were sitting around radioative camp fires eating food covered in radioactive particles. 

There are hundreds of friendly stray dogs around the plant.  The scientists avoid touching them because their fur is just a mass of radioactive particles.  Apparently the Russias were feeding and petting these dogs.  

How can any credible military force send troops to a known radioactive disaster area without even a basic knowledge of hazards they will face. 

1 minute ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

This morning I was watching videos of Scientists examined the trenches that the Russians dug in the highly radioactive land around Chernobyl.  These weren't just trenches for personnel. There were massive trenches to house vehicles.  The scientists opinion was that the troops are likely to be seriously ill.  

But he pointed out 2 other things that made their survival chances much worse.

They cut down trees for camp fires. Wood stores radioactivity until its disturbed.  Its very likely that they were sitting around radioative camp fires eating food covered in radioactive particles. 

There are hundreds of friendly stray dogs around the plant.  The scientists avoid touching them because their fur is just a mass of radioactive particles.  Apparently the Russias were feeding and petting these dogs.  

How can any credible military force send troops to a known radioactive disaster area without even a basic knowledge of hazards they will face. 

Why were they there anyway? Did they think by stationing themselves there they’d be “in den” as Ukraine wouldn’t risk firing at them?

21 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Apparently the Russias were feeding and petting these dogs.  

The dog's are closer to being human than the Russian soldiers. 

If all the soldiers are really ill now and on the way to death in a painful way,  good.

8 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

The dog's are closer to being human than the Russian soldiers. 

If all the soldiers are really ill now and on the way to death in a painful way,  good.

No. I mean seriously, no.

You/we don't know if they were poorly trained conscripts, or if they were regular army, but uninformed or unaware of the dangers, or if they took their chances, because they'd be blown to bits in the open, or if they would have been shot for disobeying orders...or etc.

It's still ordinary humans.

And I like dogs, and deplore what Putin's doing and ordering.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Genie said:

Why were they there anyway? Did they think by stationing themselves there they’d be “in den” as Ukraine wouldn’t risk firing at them?

As far as I understand it it was an important and easy route into Ukraine.  I suppose that makes sense. 

Â