Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

36 minutes ago, Xela said:

Very good of you. Whats the vetting process? From both your side and the refugee? 

Not sure yet - got a training zoom call to do, then will know more after - not sure if different in Wales...

• Like 1

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

5 hours ago, Jareth said:

Yeah, we've put ourselves on the list - doubt we'll actually be used, looks like lots of people want to help and the notorious slowness of UK gov to process people will probably mean most are headed home due to the end of the war, before they're actually offered a place to live here. TBF most will want to stay in Europe anyway closer to home.

What I don't understand is why the local authority needs to be paid £10k per head?

I can't think what costs they will bear.

1 minute ago, MakemineVanilla said:

What I don't understand is why the local authority needs to be paid £10k per head?

I can't think what costs they will bear.

If there is family, won’t the kids need schooling? Won’t older people require bus passes or toddlers require play groups? Will they be covered by social services? Will the number of police still be suitable?

My partner’s workplace currently can’t cope with the extra workload of a hotel full of Syrian refugees that have come under their postcode area. Added 10% to their work when they were already critically understaffed. Know many widwives that speak Arabic?

They aren’t (or shouldn’t be) simply dumped in an area and left to fend for themselves.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

If there is family, won’t the kids need schooling? Won’t older people require bus passes or toddlers require play groups? Will they be covered by social services? Will the number of police still be suitable?

My partner’s workplace currently can’t cope with the extra workload of a hotel full of Syrian refugees that have come under their postcode area. Added 10% to their work when they were already critically understaffed. Know many widwives that speak Arabic?

They aren’t (or shouldn’t be) simply dumped in an area and left to fend for themselves.

Obviously. I would have thought that went without saying.

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

Speaking of which, I am surprised James Dyson hasn't been looking at things like heat pumps.  You would have thought it would be right up his street and it's going to be a massive growth business.

We're actually getting a heat pump tomorrow due to the crazy price of gas and not wanting to rely on it in the future.

• Like 1

I was wondering about the logistics of how we would take any numbers of Ukraine refugees.

As someone that uses a fair few hotels, it’s clear just how many of them are already full of refugees.

If you live close to a mid range hotel, you might even have noticed your local hotel has some low level security at the car park entrance and all the guests smoking in the car park are male adults.

Adding a few thousand Ukraine refugees to that would require yet more hotels to be handed over.

The alternative of £350 a month to volunteers must look very attractive to the government.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Adding a few thousand Ukraine refugees to that would require yet more hotels to be handed over.

The alternative of £350 a month to volunteers must look very attractive to the government.

On the other hand - extended government financial assistance for a hospitality industry still getting to grips with an inter/post-Covid world...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

The full translation

He's completely lost the plot announcing that to public, it's a real sign of desperation.  It's not 1970 anymore , the Russian people are not clueless turnip chomping idiots, their sons are get killed fighting for this idiot. Sooner or later hes getting wacked from within. 

Edited by tinker

4 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Slovakia doing a Poland - will they follow through this time?

US is pushing this one and it lacks the complications of transferring airframes. S300 will be a serious threat to RuAF fast air if they can get sufficient units. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Are they useful?

Question Mag. How do you down a jet? 

Depends on the plane they’re shooting at. F-35, Eurofighter, JAS39 - no way. 

Russian SU24-32 probably. 

Helicopters - for sure.

3 minutes ago, Awol said:

US is pushing this one and it lacks the complications of transferring airframes. S300 will be a serious threat to RuAF fast air if they can get sufficient units. 

Agreed. It was a wonder weapon in its day. Great against Russian planes of that time, of which the Russia still use a lot.

Â