17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

9 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Warnock's actually been reasonably competitive in the times he's managed in the prem with his "style".

Sheffield United went down with 38 points in 06/07 and as he keeps saying QPR weren't in the bottom 3 when he was sackes in January 2012.

Palace 14/15 he took 15 points from 16 games.

I agree though Cardiff would be rock bottom if they came up as they play a very kick and rush style.

I agree to be honest - I think you can get a moderate points total through being tough and tight at the back, especially when many bottom-half managers seem to set up to accept a draw away from home these days. A few battling draws, a few wins against bottom-half teams on bad runs who are shocked to have a physical scrap, and you're well on your way into the high twenties or low thirties as a points total. But no way do I think it would be enough to stay up. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I said after the wolves game Cardiff aren't going up. Yesterday confirmed it for me. How they have managed to leave the last 2 games with no points is anyone's guess. 

Football gods aren't shining on them. 

41 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I said after the wolves game Cardiff aren't going up. Yesterday confirmed it for me. How they have managed to leave the last 2 games with no points is anyone's guess. 

Football gods aren't shining on them. 

I’ve been saying since xmas Fulham were the real threat and not Cardiff - I’m surprised Cardiff have stayed the pace as well as they have  done and I’m pleased it looks like we won’t need to face fulham in the play offs - be it derby , Cardiff , boro or Millwall Bring it on !

Exactly how anyone can think we have   a chance is deluded. fulham have lost none in what almost 20 games? they would have to lose 2 games and us win all games and then we have to hop cardiff continue to lose. cardiff will have two games in hand over us  even if we win against leeds we are still a point behind them.

then add the fact millwall away. its play offs for us. lets just concentrate on finishing 3rd or 4th 

once thats confirmed rotate the squad and rest players for the play offs 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, terrytini said:

Every team that isn’t First or Second will look at games they could’ve/ should’ve won. That’s football, no divine right to win games. We’ve done well and are still in the fight.

True, but we could, and should've done better with the squad we've got.

30 minutes ago, vreitti said:

True, but we could, and should've done better with the squad we've got.

That’s a different point, (and one that’s raised almost all the time anyone tries to look at things differently !).

Its also very subjective, whereas our points total isn’t.

Ive often complained Bruce could’ve got more out the squad, but it’s only an opinion....nobody knows whether that’s true. For all we know any other Manager could have done worse.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Exactly how anyone can think we have   a chance is deluded. fulham have lost none in what almost 20 games? they would have to lose 2 games and us win all games and then we have to hop cardiff continue to lose. cardiff will have two games in hand over us  even if we win against leeds we are still a point behind them.

then add the fact millwall away. its play offs for us. lets just concentrate on finishing 3rd or 4th 

once thats confirmed rotate the squad and rest players for the play offs 

One of my pet hates is where instead of just giving their own opinion and their reasoning, people include a derogatory comment about the views of those who have a different opinion.

I happen to think there is way too much that needs to happen for us to get second, as you have illustrated, but there is nothing “ deluded” about thinking we could do it, since, factually, we could.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, terrytini said:

One of my pet hates is where instead of just giving their own opinion and their reasoning, people include a derogatory comment about the views of those who have a different opinion.

I happen to think there is way too much that needs to happen for us to get second, as you have illustrated, but there is nothing “ deluded” about thinking we could do it, since, factually, we could.

Not happening. Its fantasy

Best chance and only option is play offs. We blew it big time. 

Edited by Demitri_C

9 hours ago, terrytini said:

Every team that isn’t First or Second will look at games they could’ve/ should’ve won. That’s football, no divine right to win games. We’ve done well and are still in the fight.

whilst that is true, there is undoubtedly a valid point about context - i.e. the business end of the season. Twice now we have had clear opportunities to capitalise,  on a fight for the automatic spots, and followed up with limp awful efforts - it wasn't as if we were just unlucky against QPR or Norwich, we were just plain crap. We did not perform when we needed to, with the pressure on, the door opening, and our players gave a collective shrug. The context of those missed opportunities forms a valid criticism of players and manager,

• Like 1

Well - every side that's hit 2nd has stumbled so far.  It's obviously extremely likely that Fulham have paced it perfectly and are there to stay, but they could drop points against Brentford and lose at Millwall.  Last 2 games should be gimmes, (but you never know against relegation sides).  Could still be 88 is enough for 2nd and I'm going to keep dreaming for another few days.  However 'deluded' that might be.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Not happening. Its fantasy

Best chance and only option is play offs. We blew it big time. 

Definitely think we've missed our chance but cannot be ignored that this weekend, if Villa win and Fulham draw, we are within a win and goal difference of taking their place - with 3 games to go. I am discounting Cardiff now, just don't think they'll recover.

• Like 1

Gap to Cardiff is still 4 points. They also have a game in hand.

We're still far too behind.

I said months back with the fixtures Cardiff had in April they'd struggle to win games and what is happening. I also said though we needed to be within five points of them to take advantage. We were ten which shows how badly we've done since Wolves.

No one could've forseen what Fulham are doing. They are on an incredible run and deserve second out of everyone I think.

Yeah I have no issues with Fulham going up in the automatics, incredible form by them and they play decent football too.

Let's hope Cardiff have a huge wobble now. 

Automatics have been gone for a while now, given the choice of playing Millwall or Derby over 2 legs, i'd choose Derby all day every day. 

10 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Yeah I have no issues with Fulham going up in the automatics, incredible form by them and they play decent football too.

Let's hope Cardiff have a huge wobble now. 

Automatics have been gone for a while now, given the choice of playing Millwall or Derby over 2 legs, i'd choose Derby all day every day. 

I would agree with that, if Cardiff don't finish 2nd they will struggle in play offs. They are not as hard as everyone makes out to play against, if you can show that bit of quality they are beatable. i don't think they are good at the back either.

I think Millwall are a tougher opponent, they have such a die hard attitude and no pressure 

16 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I would agree with that, if Cardiff don't finish 2nd they will struggle in play offs. They are not as hard as everyone makes out to play against, if you can show that bit of quality they are beatable. i don't think they are good at the back either.

I think Millwall are a tougher opponent, they have such a die hard attitude and no pressure 

We showed up last night......We mixed the muscle with them and resisted it.

Had we approached the last few games in the same mind set, we would be still in the chase for Auto.

• Like 1