Formula One - 2017

BOF

Well Vettel tried to take out the competition on the very first turn of the race lol.

First turn and he went into the side of Verstappen who managed to survive without taking any (or too much) damage, then he caught Hamiltons rear offside wheel and caused a puncture, Vettel had to pit straight away because of damage to the nose of his car.

Nothing untoward from Vettel I don't think, it was just a coming together when the cars were all tight to each other.

Hamilton has got massive problems with his car though, struggling to make any ground up at all whilst Vettel has clawed his way up to 8th, he needs to fight his way up to 2nd to keep his season alive

oh and it is the first time Hamilton has been lapped during a race in 4 years

Edited by leemond2008

Well nobody can say that what Max did was unexpected as he knew both Hamilton & Vettel had more to lose than he did and took full advantage.

Have to smile at all the outrage against Vettel from people who have never driven an F1 car at speed while going head to head with a car each side of you. He had more to lose than Hamilton so no way did he try to take hime out.

The fact that Vettel went from last but 1 to finish 4th tells you all you need to know about what is wrong with F1

• 2 weeks later...

Incredibly boring race today apart from Hamilton. Shame he couldn't quite get there in the end but finishing a couple of seconds behind Bottas when he started from the pit lane says something.

Watched an American stream today as it was good quality and buffer free but some observations of that:

The adverts were 3 minutes long and came on like clockwork every 6 and half minutes for pretty much the entire race, they very graciously allowed the last 10 laps advert free though. No idea how Americans put up with that crap, I thought ITV was bad back in the day but it had nothing on that.

Talking of the adverts, some of them are hilarious. There was pretty much a medical product on every set of adverts and obviously they have to list the possible side effects which always far outweighed whatever good the product was meant to be doing.

Also the commentary team. Compared to the sky team they were pretty much clueless about what was going on half the time.

So in summary, boring race but made me appreciate our own coverage a lot more.

I quite enjoyed it, plenty of action right at the start with all the collisions, Vettel still had something to race for, Hamilton was brilliant coming all the way up from the back of the pack.

I thought the unsung hero of the race was Ricardo, some of his overtaking was brilliant.

13 minutes ago, Meath_Villan said:

Best part of the race was Brundle asking Danny Ricciardo what music is he listening to and Danny telling him he wouldn't know as hes too old & not down with the kids :D:D

Then he said Pink Floyd, through s mouthful of food

9 hours ago, Meath_Villan said:

Best part of the race was Brundle asking Danny Ricciardo what music is he listening to and Danny telling him he wouldn't know as hes too old & not down with the kids :D:D

That was funny. Daniel Ricciardo is everything Hamilton is not (genuinely humble and likable).

Hamilton got very lucky with the SC on the first lap and he did a decent job of getting through the field but nothing someone in that car shouldn't have done really.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

That was funny. Daniel Ricciardo is everything Hamilton is not (genuinely humble and likable).

Hamilton got very lucky with the SC on the first lap and he did a decent job of getting through the field but nothing someone in that car shouldn't have done really.

He does seem like a genuinely nice bloke but then again hes not going to be winning the drivers championship any time soon either.

If you look at the winners since 2000 for example tell me who out of that list is a genuinely nice guy? Probably only Button and that was a fluke because of the car advantage.

Verstappen is just too naturally good ...even coming in for a change of wheels just to go and break the Lap record but I like Danny ..great on the late breaking ... engages with the press ... genuinely the only lad buzzing at the USA gp 

I like listening to Verstappen's chatter with the team over the radio.

Yesterday it went something like 

Radio - how is the track looking
Max - wonderful, its very sunny
radio - we were talking about the debris
Max - oh yeah that's been cleared

After all the carnage at the start of the race a few weeks back didn't he radio through to his team and say that it was 'lovely, simply lovely' when all his main competition had been wiped out on the first turn

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, choffer said:

Max is great value. Just hope he doesn't turn into a twunt when he starts winning stuff all the time.

That's the risk isn't it I agree. When he signs a £10m+ a year deal, and he drives with the pressure of his team expecting him to get podiums it might alter his personality a bit.

3 engines for next season is that? :crylaugh:Go Team Engine Management Experts!

Let them race fgs, a superior team will be a superior team, so some of these regs aren't going to impact the closeness of the sport, just let them have at it. The various penalties that tot up are just ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

That's the risk isn't it I agree. When he signs a £10m+ a year deal, and he drives with the pressure of his team expecting him to get podiums it might alter his personality a bit.

Bit late for that, RedBull are apparently paying him 40 million euros per year for the next 2 years

Â