Birkir Bjarnason

Barney_avfc

35 minutes ago, Straggler said:

Depends how you do it really.  You could get Jedi's pace, Thor's ability in the air and Whelan's passing. 

I don't remember getting 80 million when we sold Westwood..... ;)

What exactly is Whelan bringing to this super player?

47 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

I'm not for one second saying BB should be starting CM for us in the Prem, but he's a good utility player to have in the squad from the bench.

He's not though.

He's a good backup DM at Championship level.

Every other position he has mostly looked garbage (although he did fine vs Wolves)

56 minutes ago, Straggler said:

Depends how you do it really.  You could get Jedi's pace, Thor's ability in the air and Whelan's passing. 

I don't remember getting 80 million when we sold Westwood..... ;)

This view that Thor is bad in the air is a funny one. He's a tiny little chap, but he has a decent leap on him, and I can remember seeing a few games where he won a number of headers from long balls, and it was strange watching him accurately header the ball to a teammate, as opposed to the usual blast into outer space that Jedinak has trademarked.

3 hours ago, TRO said:

Your point is valid, but so is his.

The tricky bit is players offer different things.....thats where managers earn their corn.

They both do a good job, with what they do best.

Agree.

Other than when Jack was injured recently I think Bruce has, for the most part, chosen the right guy for the right game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob182 said:

This view that Thor is bad in the air is a funny one. He's a tiny little chap, but he has a decent leap on him, and I can remember seeing a few games where he won a number of headers from long balls, and it was strange watching him accurately header the ball to a teammate, as opposed to the usual blast into outer space that Jedinak has trademarked.

He's 6 foot so not exactly tiny. 

4 hours ago, jimcohen said:

I get some of the stick BB gets, but I love him. I think he puts a lot of effort and passion into his game,. he is very honest, knows his limits and has shown a great attitude from being played in from my count, 5 positions since he has been here. How do we think CH would do at left back? And didn't Jedi have one of his worst games for us at CB? I wouldn't have him in my starting 11 but invaluable off the bench with his commitment and versatility. 

The reason for this post is I think his goal celebration this weekend shows his frustrations with the club. 

Lets face it, this could be the best year supporting Villa for a long time and yet we have still got on the back on a number of our own players. (Bacuna was the only one I agreed with. I would get on the Bunn bandwagon if that ever started!) VP was rocking Sat but largely noticeable from the previous lack of atmosphere. Fair enough. The club burned us all. But its time to move on and for me, BB is part of the future of this club and I hope he knows that most fans want him, like all committed and talented players,  to stay. 

I am glad he never left......not just the goal, but it was a peach.

tickled me how some have referred to his toe poke as some kind of derogatory shot.....It was a daisy.

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

Agree.

Other than when Jack was injured recently I think Bruce has, for the most part, chosen the right guy for the right game.

Not trying to overly big him up Terry........but he is irreplaceable.

He gives us an edge, no one else can.

Ooops better get back on topic.....I like Thor too, quite deceptive going forward his direct style unhinges teams.

Edited by TRO

He was always impressive for Iceland and his record in Italy and Switzerland was decent and its good to see him show that form now. He is a player with an engine and a little skill but probably no defined position 

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

These were the responses to me saying Jedinak would improve us when he was back to fitness instead of Bjarnasson:

Don't get me wrong. I'm not annoyed by those responses. I make those kind of posts myself by the way. I mock people on here all the time, but it's always good natured (well, most of the time :D ). People can post what they like within the rules, it's all friendly (apart from maybe Tomaszk, dunno what was bothering him that day)

But I'd definitely class that as (good natured) mockery.

:)

That comment was verbatim good natured mockery of a post you'd made elsewhere I can't be arsed to look up.

Not nice to read back is it? Wonder what was up with you.

It was probably something like "Some people gutted we won again" after criticism of Bruce.

---

Birkir didn't deserve to lose his place. But Bruce was right to bring Jed back in against Blues when he did, he also shone against Wolves.

I'd go with Birkir starting against weaker/less physical sides.

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

:)

That comment was verbatim good natured mockery of a post you'd made elsewhere I can't be arsed to look up.

Not nice to read back is it? Wonder what was up with you.

It was probably something like "Some people gutted we won again" after criticism of Bruce.

Didn't make sense then and doesn't make sense now. I still don't know how you interpreted my posts, but it certainly wasn't how they were written.

50 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Didn't make sense then and doesn't make sense now. I still don't know how you interpreted my posts, but it certainly wasn't how they were written.

I agree, your post didn't make sense. It seemed to indicate Villa fans being unhappy Villa won.

Great goal by Thor this weekend.

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

I agree, your post didn't make sense. It seemed to indicate Villa fans being unhappy Villa won.

They were. It was painfully obvious. 

Some of them still are. 

Â