Viewing / Buying a house

Don_Simon

32 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Mugging you off for the saving on Stamp Duty.

My MIL sold her house, then the buyers lender said it was over priced so the sale fell through and she took it off the market (3 months ago). 
She put it back on the market recently, same price, why? Because she said any buyer will be saving money on stamp duty so she won’t reduce it.

Standard practice now I expect when any buyer want to haggle on the price.

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm toying with the idea of going into the business of building houses... Might pick your brains @StefanAVFC for some idea of the process. 

If you'd rather invest than worry about the building, the mrs's dad is always looking for investment. PM me :D 

Her mate put in 200k zloty and she gets her money back and half of the profit on one of the houses. (will be about 150k) I reckon so it's a RoI of 30 grand GBP.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I paid for mine, I was in a slightly unusual situation where I had a massive deposit due to inheritance but a small salary buying in the south east so having access to their system with an almost infinite number of mortgage options was useful.  I wasn't really that keen on my particular advisor, at one stage she got the deposit and amount I was borrowing the wrong way round on some of the forms which was ridiculously amateurish but it got sorted.  The other staff seemed more competent.  Anyway dealing with them was still a lot less hassle and irritating than with estate agents and solicitors who would all be the first against the wall in my revolution.

Went with the paid one in the end, who has been really helpful. Got our mortgage in principle a month ago, but since we've been in a position it's seemed like there is a lot less in our price range available.

We're moving back to the Midlands (well back for me, not the Mrs) Mrs has a new job and I've got a transfer. Bit if a crazy time to move but it's been in our thoughts for a while but needed the jobs to be able to do it.

3 house viewings tomorrow but not feeling them too much before we go. One possibly too small, one might need too much work and the other a bit of both and think we've pretty much ruled out completely.

Did put a bid in for one a couple of weeks ago which wasn't accepted but kept on the table. Someone else bid an extra £5k, think we could have matched it but felt it wasn't worth that much.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Genie said:

My MIL sold her house, then the buyers lender said it was over priced so the sale fell through and she took it off the market (3 months ago). 
She put it back on the market recently, same price, why? Because she said any buyer will be saving money on stamp duty so she won’t reduce it.

Standard practice now I expect when any buyer want to haggle on the price.

Sickening practice by the agents. I'm not selling anything and I can't save enough extra deposit to keep up with prices. I've noticed houses on the same street have a 10 grand increase in just 2 months, and to make it clear they were both very very similar.

6 hours ago, stuart_75 said:

I've been viewing a few houses in the Stourbridge area since the lockdown was eased, and I've already noticed agents jacking up prices in such a short time. Utter utter cockroaches, the lot of 'em.

Yep i dont tarnish them all as some agents are fine but most ive dealt with slimy cretins that would sell their family to get a sale

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Yep i dont tarnish them all as some agents are fine but most ive dealt with slimy cretins that would sell their family to get a sale

The problem is they are getting a percentage of the sale. So keep jacking up the prices, more commission, bigger the property bubble gets and then pop. Everyone in the shit. Why oh why haven't purple bricks and their fixed price business model wiped out the high street agents?

4 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

The problem is they are getting a percentage of the sale. So keep jacking up the prices, more commission, bigger the property bubble gets and then pop. Everyone in the shit. Why oh why haven't purple bricks and their fixed price business model wiped out the high street agents?

My fiance is using them and im not gonna lir they are pretty crap.  Also you have to use their conveyancing company and the one she has sucks

Not that's its worked out yet, but my brother has become an estate agent in the last year or 2. It's been really useful keeping me up to date with houses that we're interested in and able to offer us some advice. If the houses we've looked at aren't with his place, him or someone else has usually been there when the vendor has been choosing which estate agent.

I do find it funny when it's him doing the showround and he falls back into work mode though when he's talking to us 😂

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

Good timing and all that with the recession announcement 🙄

But...

Had a bid accepted for first house this morning! 😃

Congratulations mate. I really hope it all works out for you. Exciting times when its your first.  Im in process of buying too just had my structural survey done waiting for that to ensure no major structural damage.

Id recomend going one mate.  You dont want any nasty suprises

11 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Congratulations mate. I really hope it all works out for you. Exciting times when its your first.  Im in process of buying too just had my structural survey done waiting for that to ensure no major structural damage.

Id recomend going one mate.  You dont want any nasty suprises

Cheers, I will be getting a structural survey. My brother ended up pulling out of a house after the survey showed some serious issues. Not worth the risk, especially being my first.

23 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

Cheers, I will be getting a structural survey. My brother ended up pulling out of a house after the survey showed some serious issues. Not worth the risk, especially being my first.

Yeah this is exactly it mate. Imagine you dont get one done you move in then you find out you need a new roof. It would be a nightmare.

I honestly cant believe people buy houses without getting one done. Huge gamble.

@AlwaysAVFC

Try to move on a Tuesday if possible.  Its got 2 big advantages. 

1. Removal companies will give you bigger discounts.  It's their quietest day. 

2. The financial/banking/solicitor side is similarly quiet. It will not save you money but things are likely to go smoother.  If there is a problem there will be more people available to resolve it. 

• Like 2

Question asbestos related.

Got my structural survey report back verbally. I asked if there was any asbestos on the garage roof. He said there was no evidence of any asbestos showing he stated that he wasnt sure but based on the age of the property he believes there may be.

What should you do in this situation? Would you still go ahead with the sale? How do i find out if the garage has it?

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Question asbestos related.

Got my structural survey report back verbally. I asked if there was any asbestos on the garage roof. He said there was no evidence of any asbestos showing he stated that he wasnt sure but based on the age of the property he believes there may be.

What should you do in this situation? Would you still go ahead with the sale? How do i find out if the garage has it?

Almost impossible to know if it's all tucked away. On the flip side if it is there and it is all covered up it shouldn't provide any real risk.

Has there been much work done on the property in recent years? If there has you'd expect any asbestos to have been found and there will be a record of it.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Almost impossible to know if it's all tucked away. On the flip side if it is there and it is all covered up it shouldn't provide any real risk.

Has there been much work done on the property in recent years? If there has you'd expect any asbestos to have been found and there will be a record of it.

Yeah i assume its tucked away as he said there was nothing visible. 

They replaced the kitchen 2 years ir so again looks lovely. Other than that just redecorated.

The garage is on the side of the house so i believe we could do a extension in a few years if we wanted too. 

Â