Viewing / Buying a house

Don_Simon

@Demitri_C

You could try get an escrow agreement put together, i.e., you'll buy but on the condition that $5-10k (e.g., large enough to be serious, but be fair and realistic) of sale price is placed in escrow pending a satisfactory inspection or other explicitly described due diligence, say with a 30-45 day validity period. I don't know if that's possible in UK, but it's doable although somewhat non-standard over here.  That should be enough to cover any standard annoying things that they could be hiding.

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Does anyone know of a way to check if a house has been sold or not?

A couple of houses we were viewing back in February/March have been taken off the market. But according to Rightmove they haven't been sold (you can view their sale history).
But I don't know how reliable or accurate or timely that is.

Is there like a definitive source that would tell you that?

Basically we're back looking again and if we thought those houses would come back on the market any time soon we'd be more inclined to hold out and wait for them to be on sale again. If they've been sold it may tempt us to more actively look elsewhere

I think there is quite a delay before they are published as sold on Rightmove etc The most recent showing near where I was looking was June/July but I'm aware of one that was definitely completed, possibly the same period as the ones you were looking at or possibly earlier and that's not showing yet.

• Like 1

Yeah there will be a 6 month or so delay before the property websites are updated. Possibly longer with Covid-19.

The last one in my complex showing as sold was January 2020 but i think a few more have been sold since then 

• Thanks 1

My sale is still moving. Solicitors are painfully slow thankfully they now have the documents from the sellers solicitors and it can start moving. Their best estimate is 2 months. 

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

My sale is still moving. Solicitors are painfully slow thankfully they now have the documents from the sellers solicitors and it can start moving. Their best estimate is 2 months. 

The reason moving house is so stressful is because of the cowboys masquerading as solicitors. So many times we were told everything was ready and we were going go exchange and then, oh, we’re missing something.

One time we were told we were 100% going to exchange contracts on the Friday... Heard nothing so called them in the afternoon and the solicitor had booked the day off at the last minute.

On 30/09/2020 at 11:36, Stevo985 said:

Cheers!

That confirms the same as Rightmove. They don't appear to have been sold.

It's crossed our mind to write to the homeowner and ask if they're still interested in selling. perhaps even suggest doing it privately so they don't have to pay estate agent fees.

Is that the done thing? Or would that be seen as a bit dodgy?

We would hate to go for a different house and then spot this one was back on the market a month later.

(that's question for everyone, not just you Davkaus :) )

Approaching ppl about buying does happen and can help. Some of our friends are buying a house this route and cutting agents out (who are useless in my opinion). It's also becoming more common to write letters to sellers after viewing when you want to buy and might be other ppl interested. Tug on the heartstrings kind of thing. 

Couldn't you have phoned the estate agent identified if it's listed on rightmove and ask them what the status is? If it's sold or about to go on/off the market they should know. 

On 30/09/2020 at 14:35, villakram said:

@Demitri_C

You could try get an escrow agreement put together, i.e., you'll buy but on the condition that $5-10k (e.g., large enough to be serious, but be fair and realistic) of sale price is placed in escrow pending a satisfactory inspection or other explicitly described due diligence, say with a 30-45 day validity period. I don't know if that's possible in UK, but it's doable although somewhat non-standard over here.  That should be enough to cover any standard annoying things that they could be hiding.

When we bought our current home we put £3k into escrow essentially under the instructions that the sellers testified in front of solicitors who witnessed that they'd had exclusive rights to a random section of the garden that wasn't listed on the deeds (literally right in the middle bizarrely). They did it a few weeks after completion, we get the letter and our solicitor or whoever it was forwarded the remaining £3k. Speak to the solicitors and you can usually do whatever is reasonable. 

2 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Approaching ppl about buying does happen and can help. Some of our friends are buying a house this route and cutting agents out (who are useless in my opinion). It's also becoming more common to write letters to sellers after viewing when you want to buy and might be other ppl interested. Tug on the heartstrings kind of thing. 

Couldn't you have phoned the estate agent identified if it's listed on rightmove and ask them what the status is? If it's sold or about to go on/off the market they should know. 

It isn't listed on Rightmove. It was, but it's now off the market

But thanks. We're going to write a letter and stick it in the post this week

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It isn't listed on Rightmove. It was, but it's now off the market

But thanks. We're going to write a letter and stick it in the post this week

Ah, misread about rightmove (think I've got it on the brain as we're currently looking and on it all the time). 

Letter sounds good and you lose nothing by asking. 

16 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

When we bought our current home we put £3k into escrow essentially under the instructions that the sellers testified in front of solicitors who witnessed that they'd had exclusive rights to a random section of the garden that wasn't listed on the deeds (literally right in the middle bizarrely). They did it a few weeks after completion, we get the letter and our solicitor or whoever it was forwarded the remaining £3k. Speak to the solicitors and you can usually do whatever is reasonable. 

Im a bit sceptical of putting money down because if the move falls through refuse to give me back the money and then they try blame me for something i have to go to court to retrieve money 

Last thing i want 😞

Edited by Demitri_C

42 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Im a bit sceptical of putting money down because if the move falls through refuse to give me back the money and then they try blame me for something i have to go to court to retrieve money 

Last thing i want 😞

You can put money down with third parties (your solicitor) who hold it and sign it off. They'll either forward it on when they should or return it to you (they'll probably charge a small fee obviously). 

Gives some protection to all involved but certainly only do what you're comfortable with. 

• Thanks 1

Going through the nervous wait for our mortgage to be offered.

The valuation came through today which has matched what we offered. Speaking to our mortgage advisor they had a few queries about some undeclared debt. One was the Mrs credit card, which we declared but not sure if it was up a bit on what we declared but the advisor said clearing it wouldn’t make much difference. Any way she paid it off last month but that’s not been updated on the credit report.

The annoying one however is I have £1200 showing on my report which is incorrect. I had a Sainsbury’s credit card for our wedding last October. In April I lost my card, when it was replaced for some reason this duplicated  accounts on my credit report so showing 2 accounts of £1200 instead of the £1200. I paid everything off, so the one is cleared but the other is still showing the amount when I lost the card. I reported it to Sainsbury’s and Experian in July but it’s still not been rectified. Hopefully my explanation has been satisfactory but its stress I could do without. Sainsbury’s have been poor at sorting what looks like an obvious mistake, which no doubt they will Covid as an excuse.

I gave up. I was trying to move to somewhere in Sutton (already live in Sutton) but making the step up has become totally impossible with the way house prices have gone.

So I am extending instead. As I suspect an awful lot of people are who are in the same boat.

Haven't ruled out moving further away in the future - you get a lot more for your money in places like Devon but we're not ready to move away from the family support network yet.

Just hope the extension building goes well! All looking good so far...

18 hours ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

Going through the nervous wait for our mortgage to be offered.

The valuation came through today which has matched what we offered. Speaking to our mortgage advisor they had a few queries about some undeclared debt. One was the Mrs credit card, which we declared but not sure if it was up a bit on what we declared but the advisor said clearing it wouldn’t make much difference. Any way she paid it off last month but that’s not been updated on the credit report.

The annoying one however is I have £1200 showing on my report which is incorrect. I had a Sainsbury’s credit card for our wedding last October. In April I lost my card, when it was replaced for some reason this duplicated  accounts on my credit report so showing 2 accounts of £1200 instead of the £1200. I paid everything off, so the one is cleared but the other is still showing the amount when I lost the card. I reported it to Sainsbury’s and Experian in July but it’s still not been rectified. Hopefully my explanation has been satisfactory but its stress I could do without. Sainsbury’s have been poor at sorting what looks like an obvious mistake, which no doubt they will Covid as an excuse.

So frustrating isn't it... You are talking about hundreds of thousands of pounds of transactions and it gets held up by a quibble over a few hundred quid. I mean it just defies common sense sometimes....

11 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

I gave up. I was trying to move to somewhere in Sutton (already live in Sutton) but making the step up has become totally impossible with the way house prices have gone.

So I am extending instead. As I suspect an awful lot of people are who are in the same boat.

Haven't ruled out moving further away in the future - you get a lot more for your money in places like Devon but we're not ready to move away from the family support network yet.

Just hope the extension building goes well! All looking good so far...

That's what i'll be doing in the next year or so... move away from Sutton and the West Midlands. Not that far... maybe into Staffs or Worcs, but you do get more for your money the more rural you go. 

20 minutes ago, Xela said:

That's what i'll be doing in the next year or so... move away from Sutton and the West Midlands. Not that far... maybe into Staffs or Worcs, but you do get more for your money the more rural you go. 

Staffordshire is excellent. Come here, we can listen to Oasis and laugh and things. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/10/2020 at 22:55, Seat68 said:

Staffordshire is excellent. Come here, we can listen to Oasis and laugh and things. 

Only if you promise to dress up as Dave Hill from Slade 

• Haha 2

Â