Viewing / Buying a house

Don_Simon

Just listed our house earlier this week and were all set to go view some properties in Cheshire tomorrow and suddenly we're back in lockdown as of midnight last night. Balls! 

In the process of buying. Just hoping for the missus place to sell. Mortgage been approved.

Just wondering if anyone know this. Most mortgages are valid for up to 6 months after that if still dont go through it effects your credit rating and you get penilised

But if you were in lockdown and this dealyed the sale will you still be penalised as its not really your fault?

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Just wondering if anyone know this. Most mortgages are valid for up to 6 months (1) after that if still dont go through it effects your credit rating (2) and you get penilised

But if you were in lockdown and this dealyed the sale will you still be penalised as its not really your fault?

1 - many of the bigger lenders have included an automatic three month extension because of lockdown. Some will do the same but on a discretionary basis.

2 - it doesn't really. Your offer expiring and purchase not completing won't impact your score at all. Any impact on a score is at the point of application, and is negligible unless you are doing loads of applications to loads of different lenders.

In reality if your offer expires and you still intend to complete you'll probably just reapply, and unless your finances have changed then they'll just say yes, like they did last time. And you'll have a whole new six months to play with. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ml1dch said:

1 - many of the bigger lenders have included an automatic three month extension because of lockdown. Some will do the same but on a discretionary basis.

2 - it doesn't really. Your offer expiring and purchase not completing won't impact your score at all. Any impact on a score is at the point of application, and is negligible unless you are doing loads of applications to loads of different lenders.

In reality if your offer expires and you still intend to complete you'll probably just reapply, and unless your finances have changed then they'll just say yes, like they did last time. And you'll have a whole new six months to play with. 

Thanks mate thats helpful

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Looks nice.

are you building both then selling one?

My Mrs's dad is a builder, he's building 3 of them and selling one of them to us (for an amazing price, we're building and furnishing the whole place for around 80 grand)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

My Mrs's dad is a builder, he's building 3 of them and selling one of them to us (for an amazing price, we're building and furnishing the whole place for around 80 grand)

How many rooms does it have? Will you be out growing it if you start a family?

41 minutes ago, Genie said:

How many rooms does it have? Will you be out growing it if you start a family?

It's technically a 4 bedroom, but they aren't massive. Here's the plan:

projekt-dom-w-klematisach-8-b-ver-3-213c

projekt-dom-w-klematisach-8-b-ver-3-398a

It's a starter home for us for sure, aiming to be here 5-10 years then build something bigger.

• Like 2

On 22/06/2020 at 19:52, AlwaysAVFC said:

Guessing there might be something somewhere in this thread but is anyone able to offer some advice about mortgage advisors?

Is it better to go for a paid one rather than free? Does it make a difference, are the paid ones likely to have access to more possibilities?

I've been recommended one who is a couple of hundred quid but no charge if you ever use them again.

I paid for mine, I was in a slightly unusual situation where I had a massive deposit due to inheritance but a small salary buying in the south east so having access to their system with an almost infinite number of mortgage options was useful.  I wasn't really that keen on my particular advisor, at one stage she got the deposit and amount I was borrowing the wrong way round on some of the forms which was ridiculously amateurish but it got sorted.  The other staff seemed more competent.  Anyway dealing with them was still a lot less hassle and irritating than with estate agents and solicitors who would all be the first against the wall in my revolution.

I've been viewing a few houses in the Stourbridge area since the lockdown was eased, and I've already noticed agents jacking up prices in such a short time. Utter utter cockroaches, the lot of 'em.

5 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Building a house :)

Aiming for the end of the year.

widok-2-projekt-dom-w-klematisach-8-b-ve

widok-1-projekt-dom-w-klematisach-8-b-ve

Looks amazing, but pie the garage off and have it as a usable room.

You'll never keep the car in it, it'll just end up full of old shit you've been meaning to throw away.

We moved into a house with integrated garage about 18 months ago, and even though we could get a car in there we had it converted into an office AND utility room with the same space.  Floor to ceiling window at the front, room for two desks comfortably and a handy utility room with sink and storage.  It freed up a bedroom that was used as an office, space in the dining area where we had an American fridge - we moved that into the kitchen area when the washer and dryer went into the utility.

When/if you've got kids that garage will be a fantastic playroom, keeping your living area to be for the grown ups.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

I've been viewing a few houses in the Stourbridge area since the lockdown was eased, and I've already noticed agents jacking up prices in such a short time. Utter utter cockroaches, the lot of 'em.

Mugging you off for the saving on Stamp Duty.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Looks amazing, but pie the garage off and have it as a usable room.

You'll never keep the car in it, it'll just end up full of old shit you've been meaning to throw away.

We moved into a house with integrated garage about 18 months ago, and even though we could get a car in there we had it converted into an office AND utility room with the same space.  Floor to ceiling window at the front, room for two desks comfortably and a handy utility room with sink and storage.  It freed up a bedroom that was used as an office, space in the dining area where we had an American fridge - we moved that into the kitchen area when the washer and dryer went into the utility.

When/if you've got kids that garage will be a fantastic playroom, keeping your living area to be for the grown ups.

I'd probably do the same but unfortunately it's a pre-planned... plan (I have the best words) and that, as a major change, would be too much.

Remember as well, we have -20 winters so having an indoor space to keep the car might be useful.

But my Mrs's dad was saying we could steal some of the space for a pantry next to the kitchen.

10 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I'd probably do the same but unfortunately it's a pre-planned... plan (I have the best words) and that, as a major change, would be too much.

Remember as well, we have -20 winters so having an indoor space to keep the car might be useful.

But my Mrs's dad was saying we could steal some of the space for a pantry next to the kitchen.

We used to get Arctic conditions like that in Nuremberg.  Modern cars are built for it 👍

3 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

We used to get Arctic conditions like that in Nuremberg.  Modern cars are built for it 👍

True! We'll see how it goes, gotta get it built first.

• Like 1

Â