Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

24 minutes ago, villaglint said:

He played about 70mins on the right wing yesterday. 

So presumably Steve Bruce thinks Conor Hourihane is the best RW at the club (this week anyway). 

Discuss.

With that pace and his magical right foot, it makes perfect sense 

The trouble with Hourihane is if you take away his free kicks and goals he doesnt offer that much else, so I can see why he was dropped for McGinn. But the trouble with taking him out the side is that you then miss his goals and free kicks. 

I guess this is why he's been in and out of the side.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Junxs said:

The trouble with Hourihane is if you take away his free kicks and goals he doesnt offer that much else, so I can see why he was dropped for McGinn. But the trouble with taking him out the side is that you then miss his goals and free kicks. 

I guess this is why he's been in and out of the side.

Conor gives us that "individual skill and goals every now and then" that earned Bruce two years here. I don't expect to see much of him after the new manager comes in.

The problem I see with Conner is he seems incapable of rapid changes of direction when pressing. so when someone goes past him he can't readjust his body, he's basically left for dead.

This is the same for Lansbury from what I can rememeber. and also Jedi due to his slowness. This is going to be a problem if a forigen manager comes in and wants to play a high tempo pressing game.

Hourihane is good enough for the championship with the ball at his feet. A bit too cautious when passing often goes for the safe square ball. (that may have been the bruce coaching influence) sometimes he takes what seems like forever (from where I sit) to make up his mind what he's going to do.

On 07/10/2018 at 10:39, screwdriver said:

The problem I see with Conner is he seems incapable of rapid changes of direction when pressing. so when someone goes past him he can't readjust his body, he's basically left for dead.

This is the same for Lansbury from what I can rememeber. and also Jedi due to his slowness. This is going to be a problem if a forigen manager comes in and wants to play a high tempo pressing game.

Hourihane is good enough for the championship with the ball at his feet. A bit too cautious when passing often goes for the safe square ball. (that may have been the bruce coaching influence) sometimes he takes what seems like forever (from where I sit) to make up his mind what he's going to do.

His all round play is extremely average but he pretty good at set pieces and has an excellent goal scoring record at this level.

7 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

His all round play is extremely average but he pretty good at set pieces and has an excellent goal scoring record at this level.

Yep I'd agree with that. He's pretty competent at most things without being a world beater but his delivery is good and he has a knack of getting himself into scoring positions. Lampard made a pretty decent career at doing that so its not the worst skill set to have. 

A winger he ain't though! It's amazing the twists and turns managers can get themselves into when they start to fall back on a certain number of players they trust. 

Edited by villaglint

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

Think that be more Whelan since he played in that game ?

Blimey, Henry will be relieved only 14 people will ever mention it instead of 100 million who claim to have links to the green isle! ?

* also, Conor’s thread was closer to the top (with Henry’s) than Whelan’s was.☺️

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

His stats alone should be enough to fit him into the team somewhere. He isnt a hopeless luxury but you have play to your strengths and maybe find a position for him

Not for me.  Grealish and McGinn as a central pairing all day long - chuck Bjarnason or Jedinak behind them if you want a holding player too.  Hourihane is a passenger unless we've got a set piece.  Can't afford to have someone in the side purely for that.

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Not for me.  Grealish and McGinn as a central pairing all day long - chuck Bjarnason or Jedinak behind them if you want a holding player too.  Hourihane is a passenger unless we've got a set piece.  Can't afford to have someone in the side purely for that.

His goals and assists from midfield are among the highest in the league , he is worthy of a starting place for me 

• 2 weeks later...

Racks up another assist from a set piece to please the stats men, whilst doing absolutely **** all else all game long.

Want someone to pop a shot wide from 30 yards?  Conor's your man.  Want someone to dally on the ball in midfield and lose it?  Conor's your man.  Zero influence at all, but notched up one more of those set piece stats with a great delivery.

• Like 1

Rush him and he gives the ball away, takes an age to decide on a pass and telegraphs it even before that.

Not a man for quick sharp passing as too slow in thought, but can run all day which is what you want in a Bruce team, and can bag a goal...and he did that well.

Can he adapt? I don't know. He isn't a kid.

Edited by rodders0223

Â