Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

He wasn't good when Whelan was on because he was lost. He's been playing that deeper role effectively under Smith and Whelan made him a bit redundant.

When Whelan came off, he did miles better. Everything went through him.

He was better in the deep role agreed. Largely good delivery as well.

That also came at a time when we were leading and that's so often the only time Conor takes responsibility in terms of getting on the ball. Getting tired of him hiding away when we need it.

• Like 1

It's an experiment that's not working simply because he hasn't got the ability to tackle or read danger. He's better further forward but with McGinn and Grealish in front of him the position he played tonight is his only chance of staruing. However, anyone playing that position has to be able to read the game, make a tackle and, pass the ball very well. I don't think he has enough of any of those attributes. 

Sorry Conor but I'm hoping that position is occupied by someone else when January arrives. A bigger, combative midfielder is needed who can pass the ball and get stuck in to protect the defence. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I think this is what will happen now and then when he plays holding midfielder, was at fault for the first two goals. His delivery was unusually poor as well. Step up Conor!! I guess it was a bit of fatigue after the last game.

Not really. Majority of villa games he is bang average and then pops up with a goal so nobody talks about how he played. He wasn't in the game Sunday either.

My thoughts on Hourihane.

I really rate is technical ability and his workrate.

He is one of my favourite villians however..

We have a system within our midfield three. 

1 - Engine - McGinn

2 - Creative - Grealish

3 - Glue i.e holding player and retainer

The 3 position is difficult because we need someone that can win the ball, and retain possession with a variety of range in passing.

Now against lesser teams it does not necessarily matter but better against opposition it does.

Honestly I feel that Hourihane and Mcginn should be competing for the same position.

Bjarnason is a player that suits that third position well at this level and we are missing him.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Not really. Majority of villa games he is bang average and then pops up with a goal so nobody talks about how he played. He wasn't in the game Sunday either.

He was good a couple of games ago (Derby?) but has been otherwise **** terrible all season long.

However, he's hit some great free kicks, so it sort of papers over the cracks.

When is BB back fitness? cant wait he back to replace him to pair McGinn in centre of midfield. 

no offence, Hourihane, as you got nought defence ability to support defence, as it is priority to support our poor back 5 men.

even i seriously think about Doyle-Hayes to take his roles might help balance as he is quick than whelan.

Â