Off Grid And Sustainable Living

Xann

11 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I do the odd camping trip with the kids even have a funky solar power thingy to charge my iPad and iPhone whilst I'm there 

did 5 days in a tent in zambia back in Aug and did sorta contemplate faking my death and just living out my days by the Victoria falls .. then a load of back packers with braided hair , those string bracelet things on their wrists and  a guitar moved into the tent next door and ended any thought ..

Haha.

We did at "tent" in the Serengeti last year. I say "tent" but it had hard wood floors, 2 kings size beds and a bathroom!

The shower consisted of your "tent butler" standing outside with a 20 liter bag of hot water asking you if the temperature was ok. They call them "talking showers."

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BillyShears said:

I spent 2 weeks with the Tipi People in South Wales in 1979. The free state of Albion, a couple of free festivals. Hated by locals and the Police. I think there is still a Tipi Valley somewhere in South Wales?

There's quite a bit of alternative action in Wales and bordering counties. Land is cheap and there's wind and water for those that wish to harness it.

pj1P0ta.jpg

The Centre For Alternative Technology is there too.

• Like 3

On 1/12/2017 at 17:27, tonyh29 said:

confusing Xaan and Xela   .. I'm not sure who has been insulted the most here :) 

I'm not sure my fossil fuel burning 90's beamer will be welcome at Xann's commune :P

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/01/2017 at 17:31, Xela said:

I'm not sure my fossil fuel burning 90's beamer will be welcome at Xann's commune :P

Drove a large diesel vehicle across a field and parked it next to the meditation tent at a Buddhist retreat once.

Not deliberate.

I thought it was funny.

• Like 3

Objecting to blithely trashing the place to pursue $ is tremendously self satisfying.

You sleep sound in knowledge that everyone else is a bit thick or a dick.

Actually doing something?!? That's proper orgasmic :)

14 hours ago, Xann said:

Drove a large diesel vehicle across a field and parked it next to the meditation tent at a Buddhist retreat once.

Not deliberate.

I thought it was funny.

So I know a guy with a bike shop and another guy who makes kites.......just sayin' ;)

• Like 1

Glad you started this thread, Xann. I drank the Kool-Aid a while back after I was introduced to Earthship Biotecture. Fascinating stuff. Unfortunately it's not cheap. But the functionality of the finished product is really cool.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not impressive at all looking at some of the stuff in here, but I'm going to see an allotment tomorrow, so I can start growing my own fruit and veg. :)

My garden is fully decked, which is a bit limiting, and I wouldn't want to give it up as a space to relax. An allotment seems a decent alternative.

I'm going to start out with cauliflower, spuds, spinach. It'll take a while to get there but ideally I'd be able to replace the vast majority of my weekly shop with homegrown stuff.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

dHhRASs.jpg

Ikea commissioned a design for an urban farm pavilion, for those with limited space.

The Growroom is designed for cities and with it’s size 2,8 x 2,5 meter it has a small spatial footprint as you grow vertically. It is designed to support our everyday sense of well being in the cities by creating a small oasis or ‘pause’-architecture in our high paced societal scenery, and enables people to connect with nature as we smell and taste the abundance of herbs and plants. The pavilion, built as a sphere, can stand freely in any context and points in a direction of expanding contemporary and shared architecture.

The overlapping slices ensure that water and light can reach the vegetation on each level, without reaching the visitor within and thereby functions as a growth activator for the vegetation and shelter for the visitor.

Space10 - Includes instructions.

Ikea aren't selling it. The design is in the public domain. You download the schematics from github, then take them to a CNC place, unless you're lucky enough to have a workshop?

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/03/2017 at 10:41, chrisp65 said:

3D house printed for £8,000

took 24 hours to print, not the biggest house in the world, but the principle is established

apis-cor-3d-printer.jpg

russias-first-3d-printed-house.jpg

Seems a bit misleading ? i get the impression. £8k was the materials only ? 

how much did the 2.5 tonne printer cost ... and how much to move it and assemble it etc

Edited by tonyh29

It's start up technology, proving a principle. If somebody built one car it would be quite expensive. But the idea is to prove you can build thousands and bring the cost down. You don't have to buy a new printer to do every house, it's the housebuilder having one (or a dozen, or fifty) and moving it from site to site.

So it would eventually be regular rental costs. So a few hundreds of quids once it's rolled out and normalised is my hunch.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

A friend was rather fed up of the rat race. She and her husband came up with a radical plan to sell up and travel the World with their kids, as they felt they weren't spending enough time together.

They only went and did it, selling their home in Bristol.

They returned a couple of months ago, after two years of travelling with their two boys

So now they're living in Powys in a Yurt.

cmZVV9c.jpg

uM3eRrh.jpg

Doing alright with it too!

It's got a bog and a boiler, so it's not exactly the Dark Ages.

They seem happy with it too :)

• Like 2

Â