Off Grid And Sustainable Living

Xann

13 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

There should be far more houses made of straw. It’s an excellent material that suffers from a few hundred years of bad PR.

Agreed. However if you do build one, don't use Three Little Pigs Builders Ltd. Quality control is poor. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

201222-ikea-tiny-house-al-1454_019035ccb22608bf17c7bb1b55ea9d6d.fit-2000w.jpg.3126cd8827433369be2383f7d965e3a2.jpg

Ikea’s newest product line is small in stature but giant in implications: tiny houses, or trailers around 200 square feet bearing the company’s trademark airy and minimalist style and retailing for $47,550.

The wildly successful Swedish company is seeking to move ecologically optimized tiny houses from the fringes to the mainstream.

The diminutive scale of the structures means they aren’t likely to become a template for the next generation of American homes. But the wildly successful Swedish company is seeking to move ecologically optimized tiny houses from the fringes to the mainstream, aiming at a large customer base that’s already enamored of the brand. In doing so, Ikea is pushing the market toward key features that can make housing as a whole environmentally sustainable.

NBC

• Like 1

Just now, It's Your Round said:

Is that not just a fancy caravan? 

Yeah, looks like a posh static.

They'll probably need to offer options to tailor them to suit the local climate?

Good if you're short of cash but don't fancy financing a landlord's lifestyle.

If you've got the money for nice land too? You could have a really nice set up.

Otherwise I could see them being popular with the young, old and niche markets like divorcees.

The marina where her parents have a boat is divorcee central.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Xann said:

Yeah, looks like a posh static.

They'll probably need to offer options to tailor them to suit the local climate?

Good if you're short of cash but don't fancy financing a landlord's lifestyle.

If you've got the money for nice land too? You could have a really nice set up.

Otherwise I could see them being popular with the young, old and niche markets like divorcees.

The marina where her parents have a boat is divorcee central.

Seems highly combustible. Hoes does one deal with fire related safety laws, insurance etc? 

50 minutes ago, villakram said:

Seems highly combustible. Hoes does one deal with fire related safety laws, insurance etc? 

It'll have to conform to the relevant safety regs when it comes to fire retardancy, at a guess?

Get one before Brexit flushes standards down the pan.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, blandy said:

You got to be kidding? Nowhere near posh.

I lived here for a bit, and not even that was posh.

:D 'Kinnel - They's posh compared to the ones we got for the festivals!

One of my mates bought one from Travellers. It belonged to a daughter before she got hitched. It was AMAZING. Everything was white, furniture, floors and walls. Massive sparkly vanity mirror in the bedroom and a generous sprinkling of sparkly ornamentation everywhere. The chandeliers were special.

He's a massive brute of a man. How we laughed.

Edited by Xann
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Xann said:

It'll have to conform to the relevant safety regs when it comes to fire retardancy, at a guess?

Get one before Brexit flushes standards down the pan.

I wonder how environmentally friendly the fire retardant chemicals are. Of course, none of this would be a problem if British straw was used not that weak Frenchy trash.

They do look pretty neat though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, blandy said:

You got to be kidding? Nowhere near posh.

I lived here for a bit, and not even that was posh.

Roxby Downs - 01.jpeg

Hi, I’m your new neighbour, I’ve just moved in to the area and state law compels me to tell you...

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Xann said:

NBC

The wildly successful Swedish company is seeking to move ecologically optimized tiny houses from the fringes to the mainstream.

Ikea ecological - You're having a giraffe?

Although the phrase is suitably vague to allow them to make the claim I guess.

10 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Ikea ecological - You're having a giraffe?

The eternal conflict of Ikea. 

The Swedish Master Race installs solar.

Their open source urban farm planter is pretty funky also :D

external-content.duckduckgo-3.jpg.f6fb62ac2788b1489236f911d15bb559.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

This weekend I helped my friend install a solar panel setup for his small cabin on the outskirts of the New Forest. The technology has really come far since we had our panels installed on the roof. One big panel will be enough to power his whole cabin's light system, 40 inch tv, radio and laptop/charger systems. With a lithium battery and a bluetooth management system it gives you really great apps to play around with and tbh it's made me think that I need to install a second circuit for our house's lights, chargers and other small energy consumers. He bought the whole kit for around 2000 pounds and expects that he'll make that back by not paying the fees associated with being connected to the grid in about 2-3 years.  

If he doubled his capacity to around 600w with a few more kw/h in another battery I'm sure he could find some very efficient fridge/freezers that could be attached with a 230v transformer and still do fine.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, magnkarl said:

This weekend I helped my friend install a solar panel setup for his small cabin on the outskirts of the New Forest. The technology has really come far since we had our panels installed on the roof. One big panel will be enough to power his whole cabin's light system, 40 inch tv, radio and laptop/charger systems. With a lithium battery and a bluetooth management system it gives you really great apps to play around with and tbh it's made me think that I need to install a second circuit for our house's lights, chargers and other small energy consumers. He bought the whole kit for around 2000 pounds and expects that he'll make that back by not paying the fees associated with being connected to the grid in about 2-3 years.  

If he doubled his capacity to around 600w with a few more kw/h in another battery I'm sure he could find some very efficient fridge/freezers that could be attached with a 230v transformer and still do fine.

Pretty cool!

It's such a pity that the large commercial interests and nimby crowd make such a set-up in ones home a colossal pain in the ass, and wallet.

Â