Off Grid And Sustainable Living

Xann

27 minutes ago, Xann said:

A friend was rather fed up of the rat race. She and her husband came up with a radical plan to sell up and travel the World with their kids, as they felt they weren't spending enough time together.

They only went and did it, selling their home in Bristol.

They returned a couple of months ago, after two years of travelling with their two boys

So now they're living in Powys in a Yurt.

cmZVV9c.jpg

uM3eRrh.jpg

Doing alright with it too!

It's got a bog and a boiler, so it's not exactly the Dark Ages.

They seem happy with it too :)

Is it just one big room? Where do the kids sleep? Do the grown ups have to go out in the woods for sexy times?

I can't manage a 7 day holiday with the kids in the same room! 

1 minute ago, Xann said:

Gets a 9-5 job - Goes soft ;)

Done my fair share of sleeping in the back of tranny vans on top of amps, between guitars etc, lugged a band round Poland and the USSR using only Public transport and sleeping in soviet workers hostels for 17 days once, I've roughed it on a temporary basis plenty of times but permanent home in a glorified tent... nah

I went soft long before the new job :D

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, wazzap24 said:

Is it just one big room? Where do the kids sleep? Do the grown ups have to go out in the woods for sexy times?

I can't manage a 7 day holiday with the kids in the same room! 

The kids sleep with the dogs in the shed at the back :trollface:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Is it just one big room? Where do the kids sleep?

They moved in December. Getting a warm and dry space sorted before dying of exposure was the priority.

When the weather improves, I imagine they'll be looking at getting a couple of satellite rooms added.

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

I went soft long before the new job :D

:)

8 minutes ago, Xann said:

They moved in December. Getting a warm and dry space sorted before dying of exposure was the priority.

When the weather improves, I imagine they'll be looking at getting a couple of satellite rooms added.

:)

looks amazing for a weekend away, but I don't think I could actually live in one permanently. 

Last October we went out to the Earthship community just outside of Taos New Mexico. Got to finally tour an Earthship and meet some of the folks living there. 

joFUhy0.jpg

x64MjnA.jpg

DiJSlOY.jpg

The last picture is the south facing 'green house' front of the home. They were growing all their food in there - from bananas to jalapeño peppers. Amazing place.

• Like 2

The few he’s sold so far have mostly been used as outside classrooms and the like. He just had a crowdfunding campaign that failed to raise the required funds to expand.

1 hour ago, Risso said:

My brother in law makes off-grid eco houses.

How many does he make, Risso?

Splash cash and you can get funky ones.

EAkZKRd.jpg

k6FUeir.jpg

I'd happily live in Holland in one of these.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Want to save the planet? Move to Wales

Fighting climate change is much more than a day job for Chris Vernon and Erica Thompson. It is their entire way of life.

They are part of a groundbreaking Welsh government scheme under which people get to circumvent tight planning rules so long as they build an eco-home in the countryside and go back to working the land on which it sits.

The 'One Planet Development Policy' was adopted by the Welsh government in 2011 and so far, 32 households have signed up.

The aim is ambitious: in a small country where people on average use three times their fair share of the world's resources, Wales wants its One Planet people to use only the resources they are due. Which means a simpler smallholding life, spending and travelling less, growing and making more.

A spokesman for the Welsh government said the scheme was an important niche initiative, rather than a model to scale up.

"It is intended to provide an opportunity for those wishing to live a highly sustainable lifestyle, project a light touch on the environment, and who will be largely self-sufficient in terms of income, food and energy," said Matthew Morris, a communications officer with the Welsh government.

"Numbers of such developments are likely to remain small."

The scheme has mostly attracted digital-era smallholders with a stubborn determination to return to a subsistence lifestyle in the rolling hills and valleys of rural Wales. And not to ruin the planet with a consumerist, throwaway lifestyle.

World Economic Forum

Â