Gareth Southgate

Richard

23 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I will admit I am, to a certain extent, playing devil's advocate, because the cosy consensus in this thread irritates me. But I will absolutely fight to the death that **** third place playoffs don't matter, and that including friendlies in a manager's record is bullshit. 

They do matter though, because he's never instilling the mentality that we can beat these sides. We just collapse/bend over to most strong opposition.

Even when we beat that weak Germany side, Muller missed a golden chance and it was practically a home game for us.

Edited by Tom13

I like the idea that a loss at home in a friendly vs Brazil is utterly meaningless but a home win in a qualifier vs Malta isn't 

win stats for England managers are dangerous because of who we play, capello still has our highest win percentage, he's probably also still the only England manager to be booed off at a world cup 

Instead, and this is an opinion obviously, out of his 91 games and 57 wins how many of them are wins of any real merit? Germany in the euros, Italy away in the last qualifiers, Spain away in the nations league... That's it, and in the grand scheme of things only the germany game will be remembered, he'll get to 100 games and have 1 memorable win to his name, it's mad really, even like the road to the final and the semi final etc people will forget the Ukraine and Denmark games

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

I like the idea that a loss at home in a friendly vs Brazil is utterly meaningless but a home win in a qualifier vs Malta isn't 

win stats for England managers are dangerous because of who we play, capello still has our highest win percentage, he's probably also still the only England manager to be booed off at a world cup 

Instead, and this is an opinion obviously, out of his 91 games and 57 wins how many of them are wins of any real merit? Germany in the euros, Italy away in the last qualifiers, Spain away in the nations league... That's it, and in the grand scheme of things only the germany game will be remembered, he'll get to 100 games and have 1 memorable win to his name, it's mad really, even like the road to the final and the semi final etc people will forget the Ukraine and Denmark games

Was Bobby Robson not booed off at a World Cup in 86?

For all the attacking talent England have, no doubt the ball will now slowly move around, go wide for crosses while patiently letting Belgium set up in the box to defend the inevitable cross. 

And MAYBE a corner will result from it for Gareth’s preferred attacking technique. 

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

The sigh of relief when GS finally goes will be immense. Not quite as immense as when Steven got sacked though.

Next appointment is huge though, it needs to a Bruce to Smith, or a Gerrard to Emery type moment...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, romavillan said:

Next appointment is huge though, it needs to a Bruce to Smith, or a Gerrard to Emery type moment...

Welcome Sol Campbell

• Haha 2

Why's he celebrating like that. 

Just shows the difference cos if that was Emery, he'd have been straight down the tunnel not hugging his assistant like they've won something. 

• Like 1

How **** embarrassing, the shape and tactics stifling some amazing players who despite that managed to save a draw. 

Chillwell and Madison not good enough for me. We do not play a shape to get the best out of Bellingham, Foden, Saka, Kane, Bowen, Grealish etc etc We should be building a team around Bellingham. We've got the players for a 3-2-4-1 not a 4-2-3-1.

1 hour ago, romavillan said:

Bruce or Gerrard wouldn’t be any worse. 😂

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

This guy is just the pits. Only one more tournament and then he’s gone. Remember that people. 8 years completely wasted. 

Not necessarily although I’m holding onto hope. 

Â