Gareth Southgate

Richard

28 minutes ago, AndyClarke said:

Went last night, I really dislike this bloke, what an absolute idiot. Either the incredibly talented players at his disposal can't hack it at International level (a level that is less intense, competitive and arguably less quality than the Prem) or his fear football is stifling then.

England did not play one ball over the top for Watkins, despite numerous chances, even Brazil played some direct stuff. Everything was tippy tappy shit into traffic. Brazil just packed the final third and played compact, almost like a Football League team away to a Premier League team in the Cup.

The only real tactic was to try to press high and nick the ball back, they did OK at that. How inovative, the same tactic that everyone is playing.

It is like Southgate and his pet Clown Steve Holland have watched the likes of Man City, Liverpool, Tottenham, Villa and said "ooooh that looks good" but they are not smart or aware enough to implement properly.

Fraud Out.

Don’t take this the wrong way but why would anyone go to watch England in a friendly, especially a Southgate team. It genuinely amazes me how many fans go to these games. I love my football but even I struggle to watch it on TV. I can only assume it’s more of a family event. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WHY said:

Don’t take this the wrong way but why would anyone go to watch England in a friendly, especially a Southgate team. It genuinely amazes me how many fans go to these games. I love my football but even I struggle to watch it on TV. I can only assume it’s more of a family event. 

Don't you need to go to the friendlies in order to have a chance to get tournament tickets?

10 minutes ago, WHY said:

My Missus Dad had never been to Wembley and had always wanted to go and watch England, so it was a Christmas present but needed someone to take him. Also I love it when Brazil are in town.

• Like 2

His tactics are starting to look very old school, insisting on 4-2-3-1 and the way he sets it up is going to be very easy for any decent side we meet at the Euros to pull to pieces. I think he should have gone after the France defeat but he really can't be allowed another crack at a major after the Euros. Unless he wins it of course but that's looking unlikely at the mo.

I used to go to every England game at every tournament and a fair amout of games at Wembley.

I dont go to any games anymore (apart from tournaments) and I havent watched an England game on TV for more than a decade. International football, outside of tournaments is like watching paint dry. That part isnt Southgates fault as a whole.

There are a million things I would do before watching the game on TV last night, never mind going to it. 

I couldnt care less about the game or who won. (Although I just checked to see if Ollie played)

Bring the proper football back.

Edited by GlobalVillan

14 minutes ago, AndyClarke said:

My Missus Dad had never been to Wembley and had always wanted to go and watch England, so it was a Christmas present but needed someone to take him. Also I love it when Brazil are in town.

Fair play mate, outside of the result I hope he had a good night!

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I can't agree. Whenever we have played a good opponent, our record is terrible. Both in competitive games and friendlies.

You can say that about every England team/manager in history. England squads have failed spectacularly in past years. Group stage exits, limp knockout exits. Southgate hasnt won anything obviously but his record in tournaments is light years ahead of everyone outside of Alf Ramsey.

People overrate this England squad. The defence and goalkeeper are ok, that's it. For all the talk about the attacking options and world class players England have, yeah so do other teams, and more of them.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

I used to go to every England game at every tournament and a fair amout of games at Wembley.

I dont go to any games anymore (apart from tournaments) and I havent watched an England game on TV for more than a decade. International football, outside of tournaments is like watching paint dry. That part isnt Southgates fault as a whole.

There are a million things I would do before watching the game on TV last night, never mind going to it. 

I couldnt care less about the game or who won. (Although I just checked to see if Ollie played)

Bring the proper football back.

Thanks for coming on here to tell everyone how much you dont care about something. A brilliant contribution. Also the bit about not watching and England game on TV for a decade is clearly utter bollocks.

2 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Thanks for coming on here to tell everyone how much you dont care about something. A brilliant contribution. Also the bit about not watching and England game on TV for a decade is clearly utter bollocks.

Still a better contribution than Southgate to England

9 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

People overrate this England squad. The defence and goalkeeper are ok, that's it.

...Is this satire?

• Haha 2

You're right to point out that for our Kane and Bellingham, other teams have top individuals as well, but I can't see someone single out Jordan **** Pickford as one of the strengths of this squad and keep a straight face.

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

You're right to point out that for our Kane and Bellingham, other teams have top individuals as well, but I can't see someone single out Jordan **** Pickford as one of the strengths of this squad and keep a straight face.

You misunderstand. I was saying the defence and goalkeeper are merely ok. As in that's it, ok and nothing more.

At this point I would happily sacrifice the Euros if it meant we could get rid of him. I'll change my mind when the tournament starts, but it's how I feel right now. 

The thought of him lifting the trophy at the end actually makes me feel a bit sick as it will have been achieved by the abundance of players we have available, not his managerial skills. If we win the Euros he will become a legend in the eyes of most and revered like Alf Ramsey is 🤯

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

the bit about not watching and England game on TV for a decade is clearly utter bollocks.

Well it isnt!

Why would I watch qualifiers and friendlies when I find them exceptionally boring?

I go to every tournament due to working in football so dont watch them on TV.

You are really trying to tell someone who you dont know, what they watch on tv?

You havent got a clue what you are talking about.

Edited by GlobalVillan

Yesterday's team-selection looked like your typical occasion when the England committee decide to hand out a load of token caps.

This is politically astute because if they lose the manager can claim to have tried other players, which justifies his actual preferred selection.

There were just too many new caps in the team for players who might have convinced the media of their worthiness but have failed to convince the fans.

New caps deserve to be introduced in a stronger team than last night.

The Brazilians and the referee just wanted it more.

Even so, it will be interesting to see if Kane and Saka are fit enough to turn out for their clubs.

PS Watkins didn't get any decent service and Konsa did brilliantly against Vinícius.

1 hour ago, R.Bear said:

You can say that about every England team/manager in history. England squads have failed spectacularly in past years. Group stage exits, limp knockout exits. Southgate hasnt won anything obviously but his record in tournaments is light years ahead of everyone outside of Alf Ramsey.

People overrate this England squad. The defence and goalkeeper are ok, that's it. For all the talk about the attacking options and world class players England have, yeah so do other teams, and more of them.

I agree about previous England managers - its a litany of failure. We're talking about Southgate though, and he has even taken the joy out of supporting them at big competitions now. IMO of course. 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

Â