The Grand Tour

tonyh29

30 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Just saw the trailer  .... it's already better than the Evans series of Top gear :) 

Looks like some interesting places , Egypt , Skeleton Coast etc

Amazon took the best parts of top gear, and made it into a show. The segments when the 3 of them went to some destination, did stupid takes in nice or crap cars was fun to watch. It seems that is what the grand tour will be. The trailer looked quite good, but still filled with Clarkson's terrible acting. 

• 1 month later...

I don't think you could be disappointed with that first episode of Grand Tour, if you were a fan of the old Top Gear.

No crappy padding in the form of Star in a Car, some great locations, and it's beautifully shot for the most part. The 'banter' between the three I occasionally found annoying (not unusual), and at times the soundtrack, although low down in the mix, was really, horribly generic.

• Like 1

Watching The Grand Tour as I type this.  Five minutes in and they appear to have arranged for America's answer to the Red Arrows to fly over a music festival in the desert that everybody drove to in shit hot cars.  Could have done without the bit where Clarkson walked out of Television Centre in the rain, but if Amazon ever wanted to send a message out that they've got the budget to do do this show justice then they've done it emphatically. :ph34r:

• Like 2

The Grand Tour first episode was basically a gaudy high budget version of the old show, but slightly less charm and even more scripted conversation.

A run of the mill episode of Top Gear, a bit disappointed actually.

Should say I'm not a car guy and basically only really enjoy the silly challenges and Top Gear Special episodes.

Hopefully there'll be more of that in the coming episodes.

Maybe I'm just tired but I stopped watching The Grand Tour at around the 50 minute mark. I was enjoying it until the time wasting happened with the drawn out skit with the guests. 

I will watch next week though as maybe that one will be better. That said it may just be because I'm tired and have very little patience for a show dragging on. 

Didn't post my final thoughts after watching the show.  It was essentially Top Gear in a tent, wasn't it?  I mean you could have probably watched the show and not realised it wasn't Top Gear.  Enjoyed it though. 

12 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

Didn't post my final thoughts after watching the show.  It was essentially Top Gear in a tent, wasn't it?  I mean you could have probably watched the show and not realised it wasn't Top Gear.  Enjoyed it though. 

I believe "Top Gear in a Tent" was the working title before they settled on The Grand Tour :D

Edited by sne

On the whole I enjoyed it , even allowing  for the American audience , that said , I wonder had Evans and Le Blanc presented that show if the internet would have gone into meltdown about how rubbish it was ?

the show works purely for not having Eddie Irving in it plus the trio have that dynamic about them that I get on a lads weekend away with some of my mates , which you never got with New TG... that's part of the appeal of the show for me , so long may it continue

my son (12) liked the parachute sketch best 

Edited by tonyh29

The second episode was **** dreadful.

I remember when Top Gear was genuinely funny without being overtly scripted into skits. The skits could be still be funny, the Reliant Robin sketch was obviously scripted but genuinely funny. But stuff like the Porsche challenge, cheap second hand cars, etc they were great TV.

This however... It just doesn't work. The rescue skit had some funny ideas and was obviously a decent script for some silly send up of action movies etc, but it's utterly ruined by the personas the 3 take on. May is the least off the problem but Clarkson and particularly Hammond are **** dreadful, and always have been. The entire thing was an exercise is cringing so hard your teeth turned backwards.

And the less said of the other 'comedy' sections the better. The celebrity death thing is the filmic equivalent of bollock ache and the weird sub chat show audience warm up shit Clarkson does is nail itchingly awful.

The best thing that can happen to this show is to have the budget absolutely decimated. The more Clarkson is indulged the worse it gets.

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 1

Yeah, the first episode had all the wrong signs, this episode just enhances that feeling.

Still nice to see the 3 together, but I'm already at the stage where I'm skipping through most of the episode.

It's just lazy and predictable 

Edited by sne

Â