The Grand Tour

tonyh29

4 hours ago, sne said:

So is it true that they are legally forbidden by the BBC lawyers to do any "specials", "road trips", "challenges" or "rebuilds"?

If so they might as well cancel the show. 

I doubt it. As each episode of the first series is in a different country, it could be argued that they are all "specials" and/or "road trips" and the premise of the SAS section in the second episode was definitely set as a "challenge".

I liked it 

the edge of tomorrow sequence was fun , wheels and smoke was fun , the audience stuff was amusing 

its everything it used to be , stupid , irreverent and terrible acting from Hammond 

• Like 2

I was quite looking forward to more "old new-Top Gear", but I can't imagine watching any more to be honest. They've certainly turned everything up to 11, and while that has some good parts (the cinematography is simply incredible), they've also taken the already over the top and poorly acted "characters" and turned it up another notch.

There's something a bit pathetic about 46 year old Richard Hammond being the childish carricature of the group, and spending half the episode reusing the same joke about him being really "young" and "fun" annoying James with his noisy car.

It's particularly annoying because they seem to only come up with two or three jokes per episode, then repeat them a dozen times. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 3

yeah the running hellcat joke didnt work, the celebrity bit every week doesnt work for tv, id say even the clarkson way of reviewing cars where he lists all the flaws and then learns to love it is tired and boring, the edge of tomorrow stuff was good, seeing some of the performance cars is always good (that aston was mental) i think theres an opportunity with them travelling round to show some amazing roads and trips and they arent really taking it, the format seems weird, they're in whitby but showing a 40 minute piece on driving through italy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Really unfunny. Clarkson becomes even more of a clearing in the woods all the time, and Hammond and May indulge him.

Incredible cinematography. If you like watching shiny cars moving sideways at slow motion it's great. Personally I'm not that fussed.

Just not entertaining at all for me.

I've enjoyed it so far. 

The epsode with the military training, was shite, but other than that I think it's been decent. 

I thought The Eco-cars bit was funny and I thought this week's bit in Marrakesh was good too. I thought the battleships game was great. 

It's always better when the scripted films leave a bit of room for genuine ad-lib or unexpected results. Needs a bit more of that, but otherwise I've not noticed much of a drop off from their last series of TG. 

Edited by wazzap24
Schpelling

37 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

I've enjoyed it so far. 

The epsode with the military training, was shite, but other than that I think it's been decent. 

I thought the same, it's alright. Not sure why people had such high expectations after slating TG for the last decade.

Jezza has been at the pies hasn't he, he wasn't slim before but he's a right FB now.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Genie said:

Just watched today's episode, all the studio based stuff is pretty horrifically cringe worthy.

The pre recorded bits are pretty good.

The right hand drive 5L V8 for £37k seems like incredibly good value.

I think the 12 mpg it does kind of balances it but yeah it seem incredible, what did they actually think of it? If it was Hammond gusgphing over it that doesn't really say much, would rather the other 2 drove it 

52 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I think the 12 mpg it does kind of balances it but yeah it seem incredible, what did they actually think of it? If it was Hammond gusgphing over it that doesn't really say much, would rather the other 2 drove it 

May didn't comment but JC said he liked it. They briefly mentioned it's relatively disappointing lap time but didn't focus on the high running costs or the likely poor build quality. 

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah but that mpg understandable given the fact it's a V8 5.0L car.

There should be more credit for the European Ford engineers, the Focus RS at 2.3L and half as many cylinders still beat it round the track.

The history lesson on Ferrari, Ford and Le Mans was really interesting. I'm not quite sure I believed it all though.

Well, I learnt that Ken Miles who developed and drove that '66 le mans winning gt40 is from Sutton Coldfield.

According to Wikipedia he would have won that '66 race but deliberately let Bruce McLaren pass him because he was annoyed that Ford ordered him to slow down over the line to create the photo opportunity of the three gt40s crossing the line together. Interesting choice of protest if true...

Overall, I have found the grand tour to be pretty much just another series of top gear. Some stuff I like a lot some I don't. A lot of the studio banter is dreadful. Not entirely sure I can tell that the supposedly amazing photography and production values are all that much better either - I always thought the TG team did a fantastic job anyway in that respect.

44 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Worth a binge watch over Christmas? Watched the first episode, forgot about the rest. 

It's the best series they've made but then you'd kinda expect that for the budgets being spent

where as the old TG had bits that you envariably had no interest in and would fast forward through this series has been pretty much interesting all the way through 

Â