The retro gaming thread!

BOF

On 20/09/2018 at 19:51, Designer1 said:

Player Manager on the Amiga was my favourite Dino Dini game.

I adored Kick Off 2 (never enjoyed Sensible Soccer anywhere near as much) but I lost an incredible amount of hours to PM as it was such a perfect combo of stripped back football management and terrific pitch action (using the KO2 engine of course).

KO2!! The memories.  

I used to commentate while I played. Added to the fun.

• Like 1

I never had a problem with the N64 pad. I've never had a stick break and although the layout was a bit weird, it's perfectly usable. It's an early attempt to meld a classic DPad and buttons layout with a stick layout as well, so it's basically 2 pads in 1. Obviously down the line that was improved, but for a first attempt (of anyone) it's not bad.

13 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I never had a problem with the N64 pad. I've never had a stick break and although the layout was a bit weird, it's perfectly usable. It's an early attempt to meld a classic DPad and buttons layout with a stick layout as well, so it's basically 2 pads in 1. Obviously down the line that was improved, but for a first attempt (of anyone) it's not bad.

I'm astonished. LIterally everyone I knew with an N64 had the sticks break. 

They were usually still usable, but the range of motion was reduced.

I even had a "no mario party" pad to try and save the stick. Didn't work!

But yeah I didn't have a problem with the layout either. I quite liked it.

16 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Nope never had a problem. I've still got the N64 and reckon both controllers will work as well now as they did then.

The pad itself isn't my favourite by any means but I've never understood people having an issue with it. It's a decent compromise for it's time and works perfectly well for the games the N64 had.

35 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Nope never had a problem. I've still got the N64 and reckon both controllers will work as well now as they did then.

The pad itself isn't my favourite by any means but I've never understood people having an issue with it. It's a decent compromise for it's time and works perfectly well for the games the N64 had.

The position of the stick is the best of any controller I’ve ever used. so that your thumb goes straight up to push forward. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, villarule123 said:

Did anyone have some white powder stuff come out of their N64 analogue on the controller? Either that or it was something my Dad used to try to fix it!

Down to a design flaw. The joystick actually rubs against the thumbstick assembly and basically grinds the stick to dust over time.

Edited by LakotaDakota

1 hour ago, villarule123 said:

At least we won't have to blow on the cartridge this time to get it to work again. 

Definitely going to get a 4 player Goldeneye party going if this happens. #nooddjoballowed

Unfortunately it probably won't have Goldeneye on it.

Never had a single issue with my N64 or the controllers, think it's been 17 years now. The joysticks are ever so slightly looser for sure. Only way I realized is that I managed to snag a brand new controller on eBay for $1, and it was tighter in comparison (giggity).

Thankfully I've never played the first 2 Mario Party's...I've had Mario Party 3 from day 1 though (one of my favorite games ever). Never had an issue with cartridges not working. I used to blow on my NES cartridges though, those were a b**** to get working. 

22 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I never had a issue with mine either. The n64 controllers are my favourite controllers of any console. Loved them.

14 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Never had a single issue with my N64 or the controllers, think it's been 17 years now. The joysticks are ever so slightly looser for sure. Only way I realized is that I managed to snag a brand new controller on eBay for $1, and it was tighter in comparison (giggity).

Thankfully I've never played the first 2 Mario Party's...I've had Mario Party 3 from day 1 though (one of my favorite games ever). Never had an issue with cartridges not working. I used to blow on my NES cartridges though, those were a b**** to get working. 

Mario party one is awesome. Your really missing out. I hope all three feature on the n64 classic.

I'd recommend the Pi Retro Gaming app for anyone looking for a good emulator app. It has all the systems up to dreamcast and the app is put together well so you don't have to go searching for lots of different roms. It's based on the Retro X app I believe. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, omariqy said:

I'd recommend the Pi Retro Gaming app for anyone looking for a good emulator app. It has all the systems up to dreamcast and the app is put together well so you don't have to go searching for lots of different roms. It's based on the Retro X app I believe. 

Yeah I’ve gone the Pi route for my retro needs. 

On 28/09/2018 at 09:42, omariqy said:

Have you had any experience with their consoles? This looks pretty awesome https://www.piretrogaming.com/product/elite/

On 29/09/2018 at 09:49, Dr_Pangloss said:

Have you had any experience with their consoles? This looks pretty awesome https://www.piretrogaming.com/product/elite/

I haven't. IMO you are better off getting a Nvidia Shield which is twice as powerful and has lots of other functionality. The games run much smoother on it and the app download costs £20 so overall you are in a better position £££ wise. 

Â