The retro gaming thread!

BOF

I feel retro gaming is segmented into different eras for me now. Guess that means I am old. I remember playing on my aunts compaq (I think) in the 80's. Had a blast on games like Snarf, Pacman and Captain Comic. Then you had early 90's where there's so much stuff and the Nintendo 8bit. Dope wars on my TI, Street car garage or whatever it was called (all about dragracing), Wolfenstein, Simy City,  to SCI, WC and what not. I've tried getting into some of the new stuff, but it's not the same anymore. I really enjoyed the last Fallout and Witcher on PS4, but I think my gaming days are pretty much done on computers. Quite enjoyed having a wack at Division 2 though, that must be said. 

What I consider retro is what I grew up with and into my late teens, Master system II, PSOne/PS2 etc... but I’m getting to the point where I would now start to consider the GBA/GameCube to be proper retro devices now. Where as something like the Wii/DS lite for me is just ‘older’. 

Also, a side effect of collecting these older machines now is that I’m starting to appreciate them more, I didn’t really enjoy the Wii and DS at the time as I was blinded by the 360/PS3 but now I’m that little bit older I’m enjoying discovering the games I missed out on. It’s made me appreciate Nintendo and their ‘ways’ a lot more.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone collect old mega drive games? I’ve got some rare Japanese imports and your standard oldie goldies plus military games I’m trying to part with. PM me if anyone is interested.

• 1 month later...
On 25/02/2019 at 00:21, Keyblade said:

Bought a PS2 recently, looks like absolute trash on my 4k TV. Finding saves on my memory card from almost 15 years ago was a treat though.

Ok I take this back. Invested in some component cables and a decent upscaler instead of the cheap $30 ones you find on Amazon and the difference is astounding. Rayman 3 (very underrated game) in particular looks excellent now on my TV.

On 21/05/2019 at 05:04, Keyblade said:

Ok I take this back. Invested in some component cables and a decent upscaler instead of the cheap $30 ones you find on Amazon and the difference is astounding. Rayman 3 (very underrated game) in particular looks excellent now on my TV.

I got a ps2 love it. Wht are these cables you got?  If it improves the quality I'd be up for it on my led TV... 

Also just seen they are selling the ps1 classic in argos for £30 now. 

Wow must be a absolute flop

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I got a ps2 love it. Wht are these cables you got?  If it improves the quality I'd be up for it on my led TV... 

Also just seen they are selling the ps1 classic in argos for £30 now. 

Wow must be a absolute flop

The official Component cables. If you had a PS3, the component cables from that work just fine too. Always go official though as third party cables are usually bad. The jump from Composite (the red/white/yellow cables) to Component (6 inputs) is massive...makes such a huge difference.

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

You should see my NES on the 65” 4K tv... it’s like having a seizure but in real time

Unless you mod an NES it's gonna look like complete shit on a modern tv :lol:

This is why that NES Classic is so valuable. You can hack it to have pretty much every NES game in full HD. Ditto for the SNES Classic.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Unless you mod an NES it's gonna look like complete shit on a modern tv :lol:

This is why that NES Classic is so valuable. You can hack it to have pretty much every NES game in full HD. Ditto for the SNES Classic.

Yes the new classic is woeful. I can only play about two games on there. Even on the switch it's just the same.

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yes the new classic is woeful. I can only play about two games on there. Even on the switch it's just the same.

You mean you don't like the selection of games or you actually can't play the games on there?

I agree, on the Switch you're at the mercy of Nintendo's library curation. Although the games feel better because they seemingly don't have the input lag that the Classic systems do. But you can put whatever games you want on the NES Classic. I'm pretty sure the entire library can fit on there.

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

You mean you don't like the selection of games or you actually can't play the games on there?

I agree, on the Switch you're at the mercy of Nintendo's library curation. Although the games feel better because they seemingly don't have the input lag that the Classic systems do. But you can put whatever games you want on the NES Classic. I'm pretty sure the entire library can fit on there.

I can't play them. I loved the new but it really us dated now and looks horrendous on these tv's these days. Would an absolutely brilliant if they could hd these games. They would make a absolute killing

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I can't play them. I loved the new but it really us dated now and looks horrendous on these tv's these days. Would an absolutely brilliant if they could hd these games. They would make a absolute killing

Are you not familiar with this?

Image result for nes classic

The games are in crisp HD and you can even put a filter on it to have it looking like how you remembered on your old CRT tv.

Image result for nes classic crt filter

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Giant Bomb looks back on the Dreamcast 20 years (!) later.

They're using a modded Dreamcast that outputs via HDMI and runs off an SD card, and it's a pretty fantastic thing.

The Dreamcast was such a bizarre console. It has a small group of classics that everyone remembers, but it also had a fair chunk of utter, utter shit. It had a life of about 2 years and killed off Sega as a hardware manufacturer. But it's still beloved.

As s bit of trivia, Sega has now been out of the hardware industry longer than they were in it.

• Like 1

I still remember being a spotty teen and buying loads of dreamcast magazines and being wowed by the 6 minute (?) Shenmue video that came with the official mag. I started saving up for one with birthday money, paper round, pocket money etc... took bloody ages but I finally got enough together and went and bought...... a PS2 instead. Right decision in the end but those DC graphics wowed me coming from my ps1. I have fond memories of the DC even though I never owned one.

genesis / megadrive mini out in the states this weekend (4th Oct UK) and getting good reviews, sounds like over the years of porting games via different companies they reviewed feedback and picked the best one so its meant to be a good effort

i was a snes boy so its not evoking fond memories or interest for me, ill be honest and say of the 42 games I only played about 8 of them before

Â