The retro gaming thread!

BOF

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Do you have to download emulators separately for each game on this? How does it work? As when I brought my nodded Xbox it was all pre loaded on

I use the Pi Retro Gaming app and it has it all built in. It's all on their servers so when you select say goldeneye it will download the game and the emulator you need. Obviously that emulator will work with all other n64 games too.

46 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I use the Pi Retro Gaming app and it has it all built in. It's all on their servers so when you select say goldeneye it will download the game and the emulator you need. Obviously that emulator will work with all other n64 games too.

Oh wow sounds fairly straight forward might have to get one of these for the bedroom. How big is the box?

Edited by Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

This sounds really appealing mate. Which ones havw you downloaded? Havw you fit snes mega drive and ps1? Is it big enough to store all of that?

I just download random games across the various systems. I've got games like Sonic, Streets of Rage, Mario, ISS Pro Evo 2, Crazy Taxi etc. Hard drive is only 16gb so you will need to invest in a USB drive or a decent external drive. You can then format them as internal drives which makes it easier to download games etc. Everything up to PS1 is a few MB in size. Dreamcast games are several hundred MBs.

14 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

This sounds really appealing mate. Which ones havw you downloaded? Havw you fit snes mega drive and ps1? Is it big enough to store all of that?

You can buy a 128gb micro usb drive on amazon for about £20. Its about the size of your thumbnail so you wouldn't even see it plugged into the machine

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07855LJ99/

That would easily fit every single nes/snes/megadrive/n64/amiga/arcade game ever made and still leave you about 70-80b for some gamecube/dreamcast/ps1 games etc Once you get to cd's the file sizes jump massively though (most are still only 200-500mb or so but it makes a difference)

Obviously if you wanted everything you could just buy a 4tb external hdd (or several depending on what you want) or something instead of the stick suggested above but 75% of games released on most systems are pretty crap anyway so you don't really need them all.

As an indication of sizes a full set of roms for each of the more modern systems requires the following space:

Saturn 460gb

PS1 approx 700gb each for EU/US/JP

PS2 2.5tb USA + approx 3.8tb JP

Gamecube worldwide set 1.5tb,

Dreamcast 700gb

Mega CD 170gb

Xbox 1.8tb

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

You can buy a 128gb micro usb drive on amazon for about £20. Its about the size of your thumbnail so you wouldn't even see it plugged into the machine

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07855LJ99/

That would easily fit every single nes/snes/megadrive/n64/amiga/arcade game ever made and still leave you about 70-80b for some gamecube/dreamcast/ps1 games etc Once you get to cd's the file sizes jump massively though (most are still only 200-500mb or so but it makes a difference)

Obviously if you wanted everything you could just buy a 4tb external hdd (or several depending on what you want) or something instead of the stick suggested above but 75% of games released on most systems are pretty crap anyway so you don't really need them all.

As an indication of sizes a full set of roms for each of the more modern systems requires the following space:

Saturn 460gb

PS1 approx 700gb each for EU/US/JP

PS2 2.5tb USA + approx 3.8tb JP

Gamecube worldwide set 1.5tb,

Dreamcast 700gb

Mega CD 170gb

Xbox 1.8tb

Your telling me there is a GameCube set now as well??? No way?!

30 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Your telling me there is a GameCube set now as well??? No way?!

Yep, the size quoted above includes all the japanese releases too so you would get a lot of duplicates if you got the whole thing but all US releases are about 650gb

Just now, LakotaDakota said:

Yep, the size quoted above includes all the japanese releases too so you would get a lot of duplicates if you got the whole thing but all US releases are about 650gb

Woah!! Might have to get this. Does nvida shield have four ports for 4 players?

1 hour ago, LakotaDakota said:

Yep, the size quoted above includes all the japanese releases too so you would get a lot of duplicates if you got the whole thing but all US releases are about 

Been looking on YouTube to see how complicated it is to download the games. It looks hard. Can anyone who has one confirm how difficult it is to get the games on there?

From what I can see you need emulators and then you have to go a website called index and click the game?

You just need to find the 'right' cough cough website to find the games to download. Yeeearrrrr

Retroarch has all the emulators build into it already, although setting up the folders on Retroarch was a bit of a ballache.

@omariqy have you worked out a way to get the games full screen on the Shield? I can get them nearly perfect but I still have a black border going around the screen. 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Been looking on YouTube to see how complicated it is to download the games. It looks hard. Can anyone who has one confirm how difficult it is to get the games on there?

From what I can see you need emulators and then you have to go a website called index and click the game?

sent you a message :)

DF Retro look at Resident Evil 2. Still one of the best gaming things on YouTube. Who would have thought the tribulations of porting the game to the N64 (which I had forgotten even existed) would be interesting.

i would say those 2 years 97/98 were possibly the greatest in gaming for me, that was when i properly got in to the buzz of E3 and magazines like gamesmaster and got really hyped over RE2 and FF8 in a way that just exist anymore because of the exposure games are getting, i played the RE demo to death

Jan  - FF7

Feb  - Mario Kart 64, Turok

Mar  - tekken 3, castelvania symphony of the night

August - goldeneye

September - Croc, abes oddysee

October - GTA, PaRappa the rapper

Nov - crash bandicoot 2, tomb raider 2, diddy kong racing

Dec - Gran turismo

Jan - RE 2

Feb - Gex, tenchu

Mar - house of the dead

Jun - banjo kazooie

Sep - parasite eve, spyro the dragon, pokemon yellow / blue/ red, suikoden

Oct - MGS, medievil, abes exoddus, grim fandango

Nov - half life, tomb raider 3, ocarina of time, thief

Dec - rogue squadron, baldurs gate

Jan - silent hill

Feb - FF8

mental 2 years, pick your favourite if you can, brilliant time to be a gamer

• Like 1

I had to look up the Tenchu release date in particular, as I really didn't think it was then. I remember vividly walking back through town after school with a mate to our favourite gaming shop (entertainment exchange (obviously) for any Nuneatonions), and seeing this new ninja game that I thought looked amazing. I had to wait for my mum to finish work to a) gimme the damn money and b) buy the damn thing cos ofc it was an 18, and for the first time ever, they had refused to sell the game to me based on the age rating.

I couldn't find anything to definitively confirm the specific release date though, oddly. Perhaps I bought it some time after 98, though, and not actually on the release. 

FF8 wasn't released until October 99 in Europe. I had a chipped PS1, and my dad knew a guy who would copy basically any guy you wanted. He had a catalogue he updated every month or so, with included US and JP games. As such I ordered FF8 from him, which had been released around 6/7 weeks before it was due to be over here. He wasn't happy with the copies, though, so after umpteen delays I ended up getting my copied version after the real release. 

OPM Magazine and their demo discs were a must have for me at the time too. Looking at just images of some of them, I can recall some incredible demos. I also had the FF8 special OPM release which included a demo for that, which I absolutely played to death. It also included a little section about JRPGs not available in Europe, which led me to get hold of things like Xenogears and FF Tactics. 

Final-Fantasy-VIII-Special-Official-UK-P

So in short, yes - 97-02 (the years I was at secondary school) was an incredible time!

14 hours ago, Chindie said:

DF Retro look at Resident Evil 2. Still one of the best gaming things on YouTube. Who would have thought the tribulations of porting the game to the N64 (which I had forgotten even existed) would be interesting.

I loved this game but I found the controls bloody awful

Â