The retro gaming thread!

BOF

On 1/24/2018 at 13:54, Demitri_C said:

Click

Loads of Snes Classics available now, amazon, nintendo etc. all those fools that went and brought loads to make  a profit look like morons now 

Unless they sold them all for a profit

39 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Unless they sold them all for a profit

I highly doubt it been keeping an eye on ebay for while and alot are just re sellers hoping to make a extra buck. I am glad people trying to profit from others is wrong 

On 1/24/2018 at 17:54, Demitri_C said:

Click

Loads of Snes Classics available now, amazon, nintendo etc. all those fools that went and brought loads to make  a profit look like morons now 

Yeah but for double the price now. Might as well have bought it off a scalper. 

Playing Skyward Sword again at the moment, man I’d forgotten how bad the graphics were, it’s nearly ps2 style and the motion controls :wacko:. Weird going back to an old zelda game after BotW, the linearity and lack of freedom over movement and climbing etc... is jarring but I expected that going in.

Still manages to be an absolutely fantastic game though in spite of those drawbacks.  Would love a remaster for Switch with the motion controls removed. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2018 at 21:59, Ingram85 said:

Playing Skyward Sword again at the moment, man I’d forgotten how bad the graphics were, it’s nearly ps2 style and the motion controls :wacko:. Weird going back to an old zelda game after BotW, the linearity and lack of freedom over movement and climbing etc... is jarring but I expected that going in.

Still manages to be an absolutely fantastic game though in spite of those drawbacks.  Would love a remaster for Switch with the motion controls removed. 

The motion controls is the reason why I stopped. Might have to boot it back up if the game is that good.

• 6 months later...

Finally thinking of getting an old N64 again but wary that a N64 classic may be on the way. I've seen lots of posts about issues with picture quality on modern TVs. Anyone found a way around that? I saw stuff about s-video connection on youtube.

4 hours ago, omariqy said:

Finally thinking of getting an old N64 again but wary that a N64 classic may be on the way. I've seen lots of posts about issues with picture quality on modern TVs. Anyone found a way around that? I saw stuff about s-video connection on youtube.

I’d wait personally. I reckon it’s pretty much nailed on we’ll see one this year/early next.

And you are correct it’s a ball ache on modern TV’s and the resolution looks horrendous.

If they release an N64 classic I'll be snapping that up no question.

Might depend on games, but hopefully they'll include the classics.

I still use my N64 every now and then, but as stated above, the resolution/colours on a modern TV is horrendous. Makes some games unplayable (and I do mean unplayable). Try the snow levels on Mario Kart on a modern TV. Literally can't see the track.

Also, it hurts my brain that N64 is "retro" :( 

• Like 1

I dont think this really qualifies as classic, but I recently fired up FM 2010 and Championship manager 2010 and I am enjoying them a lot.You get to the games much faster andthese ones cut out most of the fluff of the lateset versions, eg player attitude,agents and contracts etc.Its more to do with the playing side of the game.Formation,tactics, buying/selling players.

Having said all that, is there any news of a mini ZX Spectrum ? 

I had a 48k speccy and later a C64 and an Amiga but i liked quite a few of the Speccy games. 

3 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

Having said all that, is there any news of a mini ZX Spectrum ? 

ZX Vega has been out for 3 years+

Ships with over 1000 games and you can add any others via sd card if there is something in particular you are missing.

You can buy them from argos for about £50 http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5054288

There is supposed to be a plus version with a built in screen but don't hold your breath thanks to a very messed up indiegogo campaign (you can read about the whole mess here https://thenextweb.com/plugged/2018/08/01/the-zx-spectrum-vega-is-the-ultimate-crowdfunding-cautionary-tale/)

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 1

N64 classic I can’t wait for that although it will suck abit as it won’t have perfect dark or banjo kazooie which are arguably two of the best games  on there. I may be mistak3n but I think goldeneye might be by rare too

Anyone seen this?

https://www.retrocade.co.uk/product/odroid-64/

Anyways I bit the bullet and the got the following for £90

N64 Console
3 original controllers
Rumble Pack
Tonic Trouble
Glover
South Park
Mickey’s Speedway USA
Goldeneye
South Park Chef’s Liv Shack
Mortal Kombat
Spacestation Silicon Valley
Mario Kart
Zelda

I am currently using the RF connection on gaming mode on my TV at 4:3. It's not terrible. Some games are better than others. Mortal Kombat still looks great. I will be buying an S-Video cable along with S-Video to HDMI converter as I have seen it in action and it makes it look much better. The other option is an RGB Mod for £60. When I eventually have a games room I will buy a CRT TV.

Picked up a Super Nintendo on the weekend for $120, now have sore thumbs from playing Mario Kart and Street Fighter 2 all day yesterday. So much nostalgic fun!

Kinda tempted by the Sinclair, but I got the Atari a while back, and while it was great fun for a day or two, there wasn't much to keep me coming back.

7 hours ago, omariqy said:

Anyone seen this?

https://www.retrocade.co.uk/product/odroid-64/

Anyways I bit the bullet and the got the following for £90

N64 Console
3 original controllers
Rumble Pack
Tonic Trouble
Glover
South Park
Mickey’s Speedway USA
Goldeneye
South Park Chef’s Liv Shack
Mortal Kombat
Spacestation Silicon Valley
Mario Kart
Zelda

I am currently using the RF connection on gaming mode on my TV at 4:3. It's not terrible. Some games are better than others. Mortal Kombat still looks great. I will be buying an S-Video cable along with S-Video to HDMI converter as I have seen it in action and it makes it look much better. The other option is an RGB Mod for £60. When I eventually have a games room I will buy a CRT TV.

That's bloody expensive.  You could pick up a similar model for half the price.

11 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

N64 classic I can’t wait for that although it will suck abit as it won’t have perfect dark or banjo kazooie which are arguably two of the best games  on there. I may be mistak3n but I think goldeneye might be by rare too

Goldeneye is definitely Rare. Perfect Dark was basically a Goldeneye sequel.

The Donkey Kong games are Rare too I think. 
Actually not sure about Diddy Kong racing. But DK64 was definitely Rare, although it wasn't that great anyway.

My favourite N64 games that I'd love to see:

Mario 64
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Snowboard Kids
Mario Kart
WWF No Mercy
Body Harvest
Pokemon Stadium
Goldeneye
Perfect Dark
F Zero X

There's probably more.

I'd guess that's a mixture of games that will definitely be on there, and definitely won't be on there!

24 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Goldeneye is definitely Rare. Perfect Dark was basically a Goldeneye sequel.

The Donkey Kong games are Rare too I think. 
Actually not sure about Diddy Kong racing. But DK64 was definitely Rare, although it wasn't that great anyway.

My favourite N64 games that I'd love to see:

Mario 64
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Snowboard Kids
Mario Kart
WWF No Mercy
Body Harvest
Pokemon Stadium
Goldeneye
Perfect Dark
F Zero X

There's probably more.

I'd guess that's a mixture of games that will definitely be on there, and definitely won't be on there!

Yep I think your right if I recall. Add mario party to that and I'm happy.

I have a n64 bit as other have said on new tvs it looks absolutely awful.

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

How could I forget Mario Party?!

Definitely want that on there. Still a brilliant game and I play it (and Mario Party 2) regularly.

All the Donkey Kong games on the N64 were Rare produced. Donkey Kong was basically Rare's franchise on the Snes and N64, to the extent that the Donkey Kong design we now know is actually a Rare design. Obviously this is a Nintendo franchise so regardless of Rare's work on it they would be able to include them on a N64 Mini.

IIRC Goldeneye has a complicated licensing agreement, and Nintendo might have exclusive rights to that game in particular - Rare actually remade Goldeneye for the Xbox 360 but it was cancelled at the last minute, seemingly due to Nintendo holding the rights to the game while the Bond license itself had moved on, leaving the game in limbo. There's some screenshots of it around that made it look very good.

Which all means it's very very unlikely Goldeneye will ever be re-released. Perfect Dark on the other hand got re-released on the Xbox, though not worked on by Rare.

15 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I've seen the RGB mod on a brand new LED TV and it looked really good. But it will set you back £60 to get it done. 

Â