The push for the Play offs ?

hippo

5 minutes ago, guyavfc said:

If we were to catch a team in the playoffs I think it would be more likely Reading. There next games are Newcastle (H), Preston (A), Sheff Wed (A), Leeds (H), Blackburn (H), Norwich (A), Villa (A). Could be and hopefully will be a huge collapse by Reading.

There is always a team that wilts under the pressure around this time of year. I've a feeling it will happen to Brighton, though they will clearly still make the playoffs, but yes Reading look like prime candidates too. That's a horrid run of games ending with, would you believe it, Aston Villa away. 

72-75 points will be enough, as usual, but it's won't be us who catch them I'm confident. We will be kicking ourselves if we finish within 6-10 points, but it will bode well for next season. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

There is always a team that wilts under the pressure around this time of year. I've a feeling it will happen to Brighton, though they will clearly still make the playoffs, but yes Reading look like prime candidates too. That's a horrid run of games ending with, would you believe it, Aston Villa away. 

72-75 points will be enough, as usual, but it's won't be us who catch them I'm confident. We will be kicking ourselves if we finish within 6-10 points, but it will bode well for next season. 

Wont happen to Reading.  They are the luckiest team in the league by a mile. 

Personally, I would like us to finish in a single digit league position for the first time in 6 years. 

I did say at the start of the season, perhaps at the start of this thread or another like it, that I thought promotion this year was unrealistic. Too many changes would be needed and that the level of change if it were to happen would cause too much instability. So it appears to have been. Hopefully Bruce can continue this upturn in form so that there is no need for further instability.

If we have a strong finish and keep this squad together, I have high hopes for next season and we can, in a way, look back on 16/17 as a success? 

48 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Considering the points per game ratio of the top 6 it is much higher than normal this season - I thiNk 75 would not be enough to overhaul reading or sheff  weds - in fact sheff weds should be on 64 if they win at home to burton which would mean a point a game would take them to 74 and I can see them getting more than a point per game over their final 10.

could well be a record total for 6th place this season and it's most unusual to see them all 60 plus with 11 to play .

As for villa I see no reason we should not be aiming to get into 8th place if we continue in recent form .

The poor run in Jan Feb was made worse by the fact the top 6 all continued to pick up a lot of points and opened the gap far beyond our reach .

Edited by Eastie

1 hour ago, guyavfc said:

If we were to catch a team in the playoffs I think it would be more likely Reading. There next games are Newcastle (H), Preston (A), Sheff Wed (A), Leeds (H), Blackburn (H), Norwich (A), Villa (A). Could be and hopefully will be a huge collapse by Reading.

You would also need alloyds the sides above us to crumble too. It's not happenInga.  We need to get a good finish and be prepared for next season. We are about 3-4players away from being a damn good side in this league 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

We are about 3-4players away from being a damn good side in this league 

In terms of a first 11 I think we are already that mate. Maybe a goalkeeper away.

The squad may need a bit more depth in certain areas though. Centre back we maybe need one more. That may yet be Samba or Bedeau may quickly develop and be good enough for 4th choice. We also need cover for Jedinak. I think that it is then.

I think it will be a quite  summer in term of transfers. The club made way more changes than it perhaps wanted to in January but opportunities in terms of ins and outs presented themselves that they felt they had to take advantage of. Bree, Houriahane, Lansbury out of contract at end of season, clubs wanting Gestede, Ayew, Westwood etc.

I think it will do us the world of good having a settled squad going into next season and will lead to us really hitting the ground running.

As for this season the play off ship has long sailed. We still have plenty to play for though and it is a great opportunity to bed in a way of playing, build some partnerships on the pitch and understandings and get a real team spirit and winning mentality instilled. It would also be nice to see us get another 2 or 3 away wins and completely banish the issues we have had on our travels the last couple of years. I think we will finish top 10.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

In terms of a first 11 I think we are already that mate. Maybe a goalkeeper away.

The squad may need a bit more depth in certain areas though. Centre back we maybe need one more. That may yet be Samba or Bedeau may quickly develop and be good enough for 4th choice. We also need cover for Jedinak. I think that it is then.

I think we need another winger too. 

Wyness has said 2/3 ins and 2/3 outs, depending on what we do with those on loan. That sounds right to me, it's how a normal summer at a normal club should be conducted. A tweak and a refresh rather than wholesale, disruptive change. Again. 

So a GK, a DM and possibly a winger. Though I wouldn't be surprised to see Gil or Veretout come back into the fold. I've been disparaging of both over the course of the season but in reality, I don't have a clue how they might perform with this squad. 

13 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Yes I thought maybe a wide player but unsure how Bruce sees us going long term as I think he may well see Kodjia coming in from left with Hogan through the middle. That then gives Kodjia, Adomah, Green and also Bjarnason and Grealsih who can play wide. Hopefully Amavi can shine out there as well now.

Overall though like you I don’t see anymore than 2 or 3 changes.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I think it will be a quite  summer in term of transfers. The club made way more changes than it perhaps wanted to in January but opportunities in terms of ins and outs presented themselves that they felt they had to take advantage of. Bree, Houriahane, Lansbury out of contract at end of season, clubs wanting Gestede, Ayew, Westwood etc.

I think it will do us the world of good having a settled squad going into next season and will lead to us really hitting the ground running.

As for this season the play off ship has long sailed. We still have plenty to play for though and it is a great opportunity to bed in a way of playing, build some partnerships on the pitch and understandings and get a real team spirit and winning mentality instilled. It would also be nice to see us get another 2 or 3 away wins and completely banish the issues we have had on or travels the last couple of years. I think we will finish top 10.

I suspect amavi will be going come summer so I think a left back will be required along with a dm, cb, and winger. For me the most important position is goal keeper. We haven't replaced guzan and for this is vital they get this right. Despite the recent clean sheets nt at all impressed with Johnstone. We need a strong established keeper in my view

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Wyness has said 2/3 ins and 2/3 outs, depending on what we do with those on loan. That sounds right to me, it's how a normal summer at a normal club should be conducted. A tweak and a refresh rather than wholesale, disruptive change. Again. 

So a GK, a DM and possibly a winger. Though I wouldn't be surprised to see Gil or Veretout come back into the fold. I've been disparaging of both over the course of the season but in reality, I don't have a clue how they might perform with this squad. 

I'd take veretout rather than Gil - I think Gil is very lightweight and has little end product - veretout however with the right midfield could well flourish and play a big part .

• Like 1

Veretout has the potential to be a decent player in this country if he has the players around him with experience. i think with the mid how it is now he will be ok. Gil will either set the league on fire or completely flop. but tbh i dont think Bruce would want Gil in the set up, as some has already said he is very light weight.

GK and a big target man would be on the top of my wish list.

12 minutes ago, rda91avfc said:

Veretout has the potential to be a decent player in this country if he has the players around him with experience. i think with the mid how it is now he will be ok. Gil will either set the league on fire or completely flop. but tbh i dont think Bruce would want Gil in the set up, as some has already said he is very light weight.

GK and a big target man would be on the top of my wish list.

Welcome to the site mate - I'm not sure a target man will be on the list - with Hepburn Murphy staying I think we are ok in the front line although maybe if Ross goes we could look to replace him .

Cheers mate,

i would just like to see a lanky forward that stays in the middle of the box waiting to pounce.

so many times this season we have seen high and low crosses come into the box but no one is loitering in the area to attack. an Andy Carroll type player, or big John Carew ;)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rda91avfc said:

Cheers mate,

i would just like to see a lanky forward that stays in the middle of the box waiting to pounce.

so many times this season we have seen high and low crosses come into the box but no one is loitering in the area to attack. an Andy Carroll type player, or big John Carew ;)

But not a Rudy gestede ;)

• Like 2

4 wins out of 5, and looking at last 9 fixtures the toughest game is the final one. Yer know, if the last five are a barometer of our form, we could pick up 7/8 wins - if 8 would leave us on 72 points. Could be close. 

On 06/03/2017 at 10:06, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Whilst I agree with 95% of your post, it won't be Brighton who will wilt, Im pretty certain they will win the league, tho I wouldn't put it past Newcastle to wilt and Huddersfield to take the 2nd place spot.