The push for the Play offs ?

hippo

I havent seen every match but i have listened to commentary and watched some of the matches that have been on Sky.. but there has not been too many games where we have been outplayed. Even under RDM.. we would dominate games and not win or concede late on. Lets not kid ourselves. We have one of the best squads in the Championship. It MAY be a bit too late for automatic promotion but getting into the play offs and winning them.. SHOULD be the target. This is Aston Villa. Especially under our new ownership.. pressure will always be at this club. Just like Steve Bruce said.. they need to deal with it.. and so far under his reign.. they have been. 

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

To be honest, I won't say that because he came with good intentions, and saved us when we needed to be, also gave us some good years. It just went tits up.

Sorry, but even HDE got us 2x 2nd and top 6 a number of times.

He is also a Word removed for breaking up our best ever team

Our next ten games are:

Leeds (A)

Wigan (H)

Norwich (A)

QPR (A)

Burton Albion  (H)

Leeds  (H)

Cardiff (A)

Wolves (A)

Preston  (H)

Bristol City (H)

I would say this represents the most crucial ten games of our season (although obviously any 10 game run is important), after this ten we'll know if we can charge for automatic, settle for a playoff place, or more or less if we're stuck here for another season (although I know it's a long season and anything can happen).

Looking at these fixtures, from a max 30 pts, I would expect us to be picking up around 26 pts (this new feeling of optimism could be dangerous!)... the away at Leeds and away at Norwich are the two where we might only get draws, but if we do get those 26 points we'll be on 51 with 18 games left to play. Over the last few years I think around 75 has been good enough for a play off place, so should be doable.

These next ten are pretty big though I think.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Looking at these fixtures, from a max 30 pts, I would expect us to be picking up around 26 pts (this new feeling of optimism could be dangerous!)... the away at Leeds and away at Norwich are the two where we might only get draws, but if we do get those 26 points we'll be on 51 with 18 games left to play.

8 wins and 2 draws from our next 10 games? waaaay too optimistic.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Without getting carried away, but is automatic promotion a serious aim? 

Anything is possible....even winning it.

but we need other teams to slip up.....and us to carry on winning and avoid draws.

I think it is best to just take every game as it comes and see where it takes us....there are simply too many factors involved to make predictions.

ps I think we will make the play offs.

Edited by TRO

18 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Without getting carried away, but is automatic promotion a serious aim? 

Its definitely a season-long aim, just with a low probability and unlikely to happen.

But got to aim for the stars!

8 hours ago, Lord Willard said:

Win 8 and draw 2 is very optimistic and we'd still be nowhere near the automatic spots. 

I wouldn't say nowhere near....that would give us pretty much 51 points with what 18 games left?

Win 10 of those and that would get us 80 points, we surely wouldn't be far away. Last season 90 was needed for autos, I think it might be 85 points this time.