January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

2 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

I'm not disrespecting the Hogan, as i think it would be a good signing for us, but it makes me feel sad how far we have fallen when buying a striker from Brentford is our "marquee signing" :-(

well. I am afraid that is the reality now.

Despite how mighty we were (still are, you may argue), we are not attractive to top players anymore. And this can only get worse and worse if we stay in this league longer.

8 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

I'm not disrespecting the Hogan, as i think it would be a good signing for us, but it makes me feel sad how far we have fallen when buying a striker from Brentford is our "marquee signing" :-(

Could be worse, we could have paid £14m for Patrick van Aanholt.

I try not to over think these things. 

• Like 3

We were promised at the start of this window that only players who were good enough to drastically improve the squad would be brought in. This is the first ever transfer window where I've wished it had ended early because it was looking great but now it's turning into a massive pile of meh suffocating the bright sparks we have in the squad.

We need no more in really before about 12 players leave, and permanently I should stress. Instead it looks like we're getting quite a few bad deals over the line to come in and letting some of the wrong players go. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, skarroki said:

We were promised at the start of this window that only players who were good enough to drastically improve the squad would be brought in. This is the first ever transfer window where I've wished it had ended early because it was looking great but now it's turning into a massive pile of meh suffocating the bright sparks we have in the squad.

We need no more in really before about 12 players leave, and permanently I should stress. Instead it looks like we're getting quite a few bad deals over the line to come in and letting some of the wrong players go. 

You're a real bundle of joy. 

3 minutes ago, McGregor's Ghost said:

You're a real bundle of joy. 

I don't think I'm being unreasonably pessimistic. At the very least I'm trying to add some sort of balance to the discussion. 

This was shaping up to be a great window but now I'm watching on as we aim to turn ourselves into the new Derby County. 

They just signed a bunch of great players for the championship. Literally anyone available will do. Scattergun approach. It looked like we were plugging holes in key areas but now, a dodgy leftback, a vastly overrated and overpriced striker and potentially even more? Our squad is unsustainably bloated as it is. 

I am very happy with all the signings so far and the good options we have for how our team can line up. But there's a limit to how many overpriced, overpaid championship players you need to have sat in the reserves on more than half the divisions highest earners will be on. 

If I could have picked players to leave Cissokho and Westwood would have been among them. I understand why Ayew is moving on.

This "massive pile of meh" referred to above basically consists of Neil Taylor?

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Well dele Alli from mk dons was it? Look how he turned out! That must be so underwhelming for spurs ;-)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

If I could have picked 3 players to leave Cissokho and Westwood would have been among them. I understand why Ayew is moving on.

This "massive pile of meh" referred to above basically consists of Neil Taylor?

No, it refers to a lot of players at the club on premier league wages, I phrased it wrong.

I thought that there would be a fair few faces leaving the club once we'd got the deals over the line so what I envisaged was a club trimming it's oversized squad now that it had the quality needed in every position in the first XI. Instead in Taylor and other names mentioned, we seem to be adding further to the players that aren't good enough, (in my opinion) for the present or future of the team.

I know all fans rate players differently so understand that you obviously don't rate Cissokho and wanted him out, but I personally would rather we got rid of Kozak, Gabby, McCormack, Gardner, Westwood, Hutton, Richards and Bunn before Cissokho left. And when he did go I was hoping that it meant Calder was considered good enough as a backup and that he might get some game time. So that's where I was coming from. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Who are the 12 that should leave?

With the players left who is your reserve left back?

Who do you think we shouldn't have sold/loaned? Using your math about our squad size please then elaborate on the equivalent number of players in addition to the 12 mentioned above that should Leave.

59 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Tomorrow is going to be great. Fingers crossed we complete deals for Taylor, Bedau and either Hogan or Rhodes. As a bonus a winger like Chung Yong Lee would also be fantastic.

This kind of positivity is frowned upon in these parts

• Like 1