January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

13 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

Alan Nixon just tweeted this

Villa. Jordan Ayew move to Swansea in despite scoring for Ghana today. That would mean money for Jordan Rhodes...

Swapping ayew and gestede for Rhodes would be decent business IMO.

Watched some local football on Saturday. Bromsgrove Sporting v Bristol Manor Farm in the FA Vase 5th round. The Bromsgrove DM Ahmed Ali could play at any level. Unbelievable footballer. We should pluck him from obscurity :-)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

It would be a ridiculous decision.

We pay £10 million and £20,000 a week so he can help another team try and finish above us. 

I don't think the Dr is that daft. 

Exactly. We may as well leave him in the under 23s. He can help them instead. 

• Like 1

I liked Ayew, he has ability, just shame we only see glimpses of it, and I think that's cos his hearts no longer in it.

He probably came to Villa thinking we were turning a corner like a lot of us did during that ill fated transfer window, instead we get relegated, the owner sells, 4 managers get sacked, supporter protests, crap players around him, no wonder he is jaded and not the player he could be.

You just know he will start banging them in again when he leaves us.

2 hours ago, One For The Road said:

Not sure we have adequately addressed the GK situation. I'd have liked a solid, experienced keeper instead of replacing one young prospect with another. We also spent the whole month without replacing the strikers that were heading to the AFCON, resulting in several losses without scoring.

Other than that it's been a decent window and hopefully we can have a good summer too and push for the play offs next season.

I'd expect us to try and get any deals done by tomorrow night as we have a game away on deadline night when most teams have games - think tomorrow will be very interesting.

1 minute ago, jim said:

Really? I think it would be awful business. I really don't rate Rhodes and feel Ayew has the potential to offer us far more.

well its funny on twitter.. the Boro fans saying they wasted 6 million on Gestede. We could have told them that.... they seem to rate Rhodes. Ayew on the other hand is dissapointing on the face of it.. but hes not prolific.. and he doesnt seem to want to be here by all reports. 

13 minutes ago, jim said:

Really? I think it would be awful business. I really don't rate Rhodes and feel Ayew has the potential to offer us far more.

Well he hasn't really in 18 months here. 

He's not done anything really this season whereas Rhodes has proven he can score at this level. 

We'd be getting rid of a poor player in gestede and an ok player that hasn't been a starter under Bruce for a top striker at this level. 

I fail to see how that's not good business. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

I liked Ayew, he has ability, just shame we only see glimpses of it, and I think that's cos his hearts no longer in it.

He probably came to Villa thinking we were turning a corner like a lot of us did during that ill fated transfer window, instead we get relegated, the owner sells, 4 managers get sacked, supporter protests, crap players around him, no wonder he is jaded and not the player he could be.

You just know he will start banging them in again when he leaves us.

There are plenty of players that have done the business over the years, when the surroundings have not been perfect.

Blimey, Bobby Moore was'nt treated great by West Ham, did that stop him from being one of the greatest centre Halves.

Paul Mcgrath had his moments at Man U, did'nt stop him turning it on.

don't get taken in by the hard luck stories.

Ps believe in what you see and avoid the excuses.

Edited by TRO

8 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

What's the cut off time for Rhodes to sign to be involved on Tuesday? Is it 12 tomorrow or? Probably isn't fit anyway. 

Can't see it goiNg through in time  for Tuesday but Saturday will be fine for hiM to make his debut  :)

Edited by Eastie

12 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He's not done anything really this season whereas Rhodes has proven he can score at this level. 

So had McCormack and so had Gestede. Rhodes from the little I know of him, just seems like the type that needs the team to play to his strengths, Also I think it is a big sign when he struggles to get into the Scottish team. Rhodes will offer little except goals, if he does not score then he offers nothing. I don't believe we have enough creativity in the squad for that type of striker. 

I kind of trust Bruce to sign the right player, but Rhodes feels like all of the summer signings, good stats and scoring record, therefore let's just buy him. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, TRO said:

There are plenty of players that have done the business over the years, when the surroundings have not been perfect.

Blimey, Bobby Moore was'nt treated great by West Ham, did that stop him from being one of the greatest centre Halves.

Paul Mcgrath had his moments at Man U, did'nt stop him turning it on.

don't get taken in by the hard luck stories.

Ps believe in what you see and avoid the excuses.

I get your point but to be fair, Moore and McGrath are a much higher pedigree then Ayew, that's the difference between greatness.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

We may just have bought that creativity

Maybe, but I still feel we are lacking wide players. Birkir hasn't got a good record of assists and Adomah is very hit or miss. Rhodes seems to get most of his goals from crosses. He's not particularly fast, so can't imagine he will be good when Hourihane and Lansbury are delivering through balls

Edited by Chicken Field

13 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Rather than swapping ayew for Taylor.. Swansea should swap us gylfi... come on Swansea you know it makes sense, they couldn't possibly play in the same team 

its ok we will come back for him when they get relegated and we get promoted ;)

• Like 1