January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

Just now, Supervillan78 said:

Thanks. I'd read in the mail that we had made a bid of around £6m (which seems a bit low) Boro are looking for £9m.

Promotion within 2 years and we give boro an extra £2m is fair enough - wouldn't pay more than £7m now .

Signing Rhodes unless we bring in two midfielders that can pass the ball forward and make runs will be completely pointless

Gardwood Jedwood or Jedgard and he won't score like McCormack and will just be another waste of money

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

Promotion within 2 years and we give boro an extra £2m is fair enough - wouldn't pay more than £7m now .

I actually think £9m is reasonable for Rhodes, especially when you consider how much we paid for Kodjia and McCormack and considering we also sold Gestede to them for £6m.

5 minutes ago, Supervillan78 said:

I actually think £9m is reasonable for Rhodes, especially when you consider how much we paid for Kodjia and McCormack and considering we also sold Gestede to them for £6m.

Wouldn't surprIse  me If thiS one went down to deadline day and we see who blinks first - with the Bristol city game now off next week I'd expect this one to run on to the wire .

with sheff weds away at Brighton we could get the gap back to 7 points this weekend and hopefully back in the hunt .

Edited by Eastie

Gestede and £4m for Rhodes doesn't sound too bad at all. If we are quibbling about the price. Push through Lansbury and Hourihane and let's see if having a better midfielder helps us score.  The price on Rhodes will fall later in the window but we need to win Saturday so sort that midfield now!! 

12 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Signing Rhodes unless we bring in two midfielders that can pass the ball forward and make runs will be completely pointless

Gardwood Jedwood or Jedgard and he won't score like McCormack and will just be another waste of money

Pretty sure we will be signing midfielders though. I'm not too fussed which order they come in.

Just now, dn1982 said:

Gestede and £4m for Rhodes doesn't sound too bad at all. If we are quibbling about the price. Push through Lansbury and Hourihane and let's see if having a better midfielder helps us score.  The price on Rhodes will fall later in the window but we need to win Saturday so sort that midfield now!! 

Not sure the price will fall - Gibson is a shrewd operator like levy and will squeeze every penny he can get from us - if we get Rhodes I'd expect we will have to offer them what they want - they are under no pressure to sell.

1 hour ago, allani said:

But we didn't buy a whole team.  We bought a load of players who all played in the same position and then tried to figure out how to play them all in the same team.  If we had bought a whole team (i.e. one player for each position in the starting XI - rather than just the random scatter-gun approach we seemed to have take) then it would have taken about 5 minutes to figure out our best team (we'd have just signed it!).  Players train together all the time - so it really shouldn't take 6 months for a team to gel especially if you play the same team (bar the odd injury and suspension) every week.  We might have been a bit dodgy in August, maybe at a push September.  As it is we have been dodgy all the way through to January.

I once worked on a project that had been going to **** for 12 months. The team comprised about 10 people.  I identified that of those 10 only 2 or 3 were actually any good.  I got rid of all the people I didn't rate and replaced them with people who were talented in the roles that I required.  It took us a few weeks to get the team together and handover the project / domain knowledge.  I'd say that within 4 weeks the new team was as effective as the old team (the old team really wasn't very good), another 2 weeks before they were actively more effective and OK maybe 3 months until they were flying and working at close to their full potential.  But that was still 6 weeks of being noticeably better than the old team before they really hit their stride.

This is exactly where Villa were in June / July.  OK football transfers are not the same as the usual job market - but it was our failure to recruit a coherent squad that was the problem not the number of players we bought.  Every one of us looked at our central midfield at the end of August with disbelief.  Nearly all of us were concerned about the lack of depth in defence.  A lot of us commented on how unbalanced the squad was and how many players seemed to be "out of position".

Once you have a decent team then I agree with your point that you should only be tinkering and adding 2-4 players per window.  But we had one of the worst squads in Premier League history and needed a major overhaul.  if you have a crappy old mini that is falling apart - there is no point in buying a new exhaust, a new steering wheel and a new set of tyres.  You are still left with a crappy old mini that is falling apart with some nice new,shiny bits.  Better off to send the mini to the scrapyard and buy yourself a new one.  Will take you a few weeks to figure out what all the new gizmos do, etc - but once you do you are sorted for a few years (bar the odd bit of maintenance and maybe replacing the odd bit because you realise that the extra funky alloys you bought just make you look like a bit of a clearing in the woods).   

Oh my God ^^^^^^^^^^^^

This FFS

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

Unfortunately more often than not I think we end up with the players that are available rather than the ones we need

It is the January transfer window after all.

Although £12m isn't that much is the current climate I still don't think he's worth more than the £10m we've apparently offered so far. Middlesbrough can pay his wages for the next 6 months if their that bothered about £2m.

If we can get Hourihane, Lansbury and Bree in over the next 2 weeks i'll be delighted. A striker will be a bonus but we shouldn't be held to ransom as Kodjia, McCormack and Ayew should be fine if they have more than a pub team midfield behind them. 

55 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Which we are clearly trying to do.

47 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

I make you right - is Rhodes an upgrade on McCormack ? I don't believe him to be if I am honest. The danger here is that we just think of him as a goal machine and I question if he is any more likely to out score RM with our midfield? Now if we are going to splash out on a quality CM to dictate play and pull a few strings I would be delighted to see Rhodes, RM Adomah and Kodjiia slog it out for a starting birth

It's going to be another week gone by isn't it. 

I refuse to believe that there is not one single midfield player in the world who would be an upgrade on what we have who we couldn't have signed by now. 

Even if not the ultimate end answer we need to have players who can push Gardner,  Jedinak,  Westwood and Tishbola off the bench if we want to push on and it really can't be that impossible to get just a single one in from somewhere.