January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

On the topic of Rhodes.  Boro have not only just completed the signing of Bamford, they're looking at bringing in Bojan. 

Negredo
Stuani
Fischer
Bamford
Gestede
Rhodes
Bojan

Yeah, I think there's room for manouver there.

Can't believe the negativity Rhodes is getting. He's a very good striker IMO, not world class but certainly better than what we currently have. Also unlike McCormack who's 30/31 Rhodes is just 26/27 so has plenty of goals still left in him.

Signing Rhodes would be fantastic IMO, especially as it looks more and more likely we'll be playing Championship football next season as well.

• Like 1

Just now, Supervillan78 said:

Can't believe the negativity Rhodes is getting. He's a very good striker IMO, not world class but certainly better than what we currently have. Also unlike McCormack who's 30/31 Rhodes is just 26/27 so has plenty of goals still left in him.

Signing Rhodes would be fantastic IMO, especially as it looks more and more likely we'll be playing Championship football next season as well.

I get your point but don't think I would swap Rhodes for Kodjia tbh. 

1 minute ago, Supervillan78 said:

Fully agree, Rhodes is the most prolific striker in the championship. We desperately need midfielders but there is no reason we can't pick up Rhodes in the process.

No point buying Rhodes yet. Buy the midfield, see if that helps the likes of McCormack then if not, return in the summer for strikers.

Personally, and I think a fair few agree, I think if we got a midfield I'd have no issue going forward with our current strikers who are all perfectly fine at this level. Kodjia would score more, McCormack woukd start feeding of supply, Ayew could play as a striker and the new midfielders might score too.

Rhodes is actually a luxury we don't currently need.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Fully agree, Rhodes is the most prolific striker in the championship. We desperately need midfielders but there is no reason we can't pick up Rhodes in the process.

Should only be considered if we have 2 midfielders in the bag IMO a creator and a destroyer, at least, you could argue we need 2 creators and a destroyer to win the ball back. Just hoping Jedinak will improve with better midfielders around him isn't an option either. Only then should we be looking at Rhodes, I'd also look for a CB as sadly it looks like we can't rely on Elphick.

The idea that we might sign Rhodes and not manage to sign anyone decent in the middle of the park would just be horrific.

8 minutes ago, Supervillan78 said:

Just out of interest, how reliable is Pat Murphy?

On a scale of 1 to 10 i would say about 7 - right more often than wrong but he does get it wrong on occasions .

he may be sayIng villa had a bid turned down for Rhodes which many seem to be reporting but  who knows if we will up that bid - doubt pat does.

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

I like your analogy, but let me add a bit more.

If all those talented new recruits you took on where of questionable character and despite their talent on the job, had difficulty in applying that talent due to various elements like not turning up, knocking days off, coming in with hangovers, lack concentration.....and generally not APPLYING that talent to the project.....where would you be, maybe in the same place as you was.

My point is there is much more than any single dimensional problem/issue.....its many factors, we need to fix.

I have seen players play for Aston Villa over the years who have not necessarily had more talent than the ones we have now......but they gave more heart/passion and physical endeavour to the cause.....I am not dismissing raw talent, but without the other ingredients, its is questionable to its effect.

Ok - firstly, if the talented new recruits that I took on were of questionable character than I have ****ed up my recruitment.  My job when recruiting was to pick people who had the ability to do the specific job I wanted and to work effectively in a team.  (I worked in IT - so when signing a programmer, their coding skills would only have been one of the factors to consider - it was just as important that they could work effectively with the testers and / or client reps.  Indeed there were probably very good coders that I "rejected" because I could never, ever have sat them in front of the client and asked them to explain how part of the software system worked).  It is not always easy to spot that in an interview (or to revert back to football through scouting).  BUT....

If I recruit someone of "suspect" character and put them in an environment where the rest of the team: turn up on time, have a high attendance record, work bloody hard, and act professionally - then there is a chance that the "suspect" character will pull their socks up and live up to the standards of the rest of the team.  But put a "good" character in a team where everyone is taking the piss, turning up late & hungover/pissed, leaving early and generally dicking around then it is almost guaranteed that said "good" character will in no time be less professional than they used to be and highly likely that it will not be long before they are as bad as the rest of them.  (Which has almost certainly impacted on us in the recent past.)

So if your team is full of "talent" but the wrong attitude then bringing in a handful of new recruits is not going to work.  This is exactly where we were last season.  Not only were the team poor - but they delivered less than they could / should have done because they had no fight and very little professionalism.  That is what hurt more than anything.  Not so much that we were bad - but that we had no fight.  I'm still concerned that we have too many players who failed on many levels last season still in the squad / team and that this is partly why we are still struggling.  These players need outing not just from the team but from the squad and the club so that any new players aren't dragged down to their level.  This is why I still think we are in need of major change not just tinkering.  There are probably at least 8-10 players here who shouldn't be and we don't have the strength in depth or (from what I can tell) the young players coming through to drop them without replacements. 

And that's before we consider what happens should we do well next season (or by some miracle hit an amazing run this season) and get promoted - for example with decent fullbacks and a solid midfield - Baker / Chester looks pretty decent for a promotion push next year.  But would either let alone both be good enough to survive in the Premier League?  I don't know.  So even our better players / professionals are I think of limited value as they will ultimately need to be replaced if we are to get back to where I think we all think we should be.  If we only do that a couple of players at a time then we're looking at 6-7 years minimum and also at the fact that with that timescale we are constantly going to be losing our better players to clubs that might be able to fulfill their ambitions at some stage during their career.  Unless of course we fluke "a Leicester" - but that happens once every....

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

On a scale of 1 to 10 i would say about 7 - right more often than wrong but he does get it wrong on occasions .

he may be sayIng villa had a bid turned down for Rhodes which many seem to be reporting but  who knows if we will up that bid - doubt pat does.

Thanks. I'd read in the mail that we had made a bid of around £6m (which seems a bit low) Boro are looking for £9m.

19 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

Alan Nixon just tweeted "Barnsley want good guaranteed money for James Bree. Villa still very keen. Prem clubs also considering."

some clubs trying to buy on bonuses and sell ons then I guess.