Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Next season we desperately need to get promotion, I think we are all agreed on that.

We will be fighting it out with: Leeds United, Norwich City, Derby County, Sunderland probably Middlesborough and Swansea along with 3 out of Reading,Sheffield Wednesday, Huddersfield Town & Fulham. The idea that we can based on his previous achievements rather than what we have seen on the pitch during the last 35 games give Steve Bruce the first 7, 8, 9 or 10 games next season to see if he can improve and then expect to have any kind of chance on replacing the manager and having a go at promotion for the rest of the season if he fails are doomed to failure in my opinion.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Next season we desperately need to get promotion, I think we are all agreed on that.

We will be fighting it out with: Leeds United, Norwich City, Derby County, Sunderland probably Middlesborough and Swansea along with 3 out of Reading,Sheffield Wednesday, Huddersfield Town & Fulham. The idea that we can based on his previous achievements rather than what we have seen on the pitch during the last 35 games give Steve Bruce the first 7, 8, 9 or 10 games next season to see if he can improve and then expect to have any kind of chance on replacing the manager and having a go at promotion for the rest of the season if he fails are doomed to failure in my opinion.

Based on your own ideas, we can rule out a number of those because their brand of football is as terrible as ours. Derby, Sunderland and middlesboro. Rowett is as bland as Bruce is as a manager. Middlesboro have been as dull as the prem league has seen. Sunderland are us from last season. So, we know the playoffs for next year. Get your money on Leeds, Norwich, Swansea then 3 of the current 4 playoff teams to be the playoff teams. God, this football malarkey is easy to predict, isn't it.

Edited by Mjvilla

25 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Just out of interest, is there any reason you chose those 3 teams and didnt include Huddersfield or Newcastle?

Because Huddersfield and Newcastle are not an example of eventual front runners taking time to find their feet.  They were flying from the start, and that would be fantastic if it happened.  But the point of my OP was that the alternative to Newcastle and Huddersfield does not automatically mean we pull the trigger immediately, and those 3 are examples of why.

5 minutes ago, BOF said:

Because Huddersfield and Newcastle are not an example of eventual front runners taking time to find their feet.  They were flying from the start, and that would be fantastic if it happened.  But the point of my OP was that the alternative to Newcastle and Huddersfield does not automatically mean we pull the trigger immediately, and those 3 are examples of why.

Newcastle did lose their first 2 games, but then won the next 4.

If he can get Small Heath and Hull both promoted twice on poxy budgets, I have faith he can do the same with us.
Its been a big transitional season with almost an entirely new squad purchased in both windows - We have a lot of dross still kicking about and almost an entire first team of players who might still be useful out on loan.

Its worth giving the guy a shot at next season, he is a veteran in this league. He was putting out fires to start with, made some of the changes he wanted to make and the work continues from there... To kick him out now and get another manager in who could do a Di Matteo would be, in my opinion, a kneejerk reaction

6 hours ago, PieFacE said:

I'm really unsure on where I stand on Bruce. Since the moment it was obvious we weren't going to be in the play-offs, Bruce has had a real opportunity to start preperations for next year. We've had a great chance to throw caution to the wind and go out to score loads of goals, or at least, attempt to play some half decent football. We've done anything but, it's been shocking, and I refuse to believe that this group of footballers cannot play any better.

We play in such a dire and dismal manner, the players must feel negative about it before they even walk out on the pitch.

With all that in mind though, can we really afford to change the manager again? Or is it more of a case that can we afford to not change the manager next season?

Little things like dropping Hourihane for Bacuna....... why? Hourihane was starting to get into it and getting in some decent goal scoring situations.

Couldn't of said it better .

3 hours ago, BOF said:

I think that's largely the main difference of opinion between those in favour of Bruce and those who are not.  Everyone kind of agrees that what we're being served up at the moment is not good enough.  Even Bruce agrees with that ffs.  Where the disagreement lies is in whether you believe he'll get it sorted or not.  Now I believe that he will, and yes I believe that because he has done it so often in the past, and while that's no guarantee that he'll get it sorted again, it does at least show that he's capable of it.  That I'm not basing my opinion on blind faith, but on his record.

But as has also been said by those in favour of Bruce.  The support is not open-ended.  We must go up next season.  We can not afford to be languishing with the also-rans come October, still trying to string a few passes together.  I fully expect that if we are not one of the front runners early on next season then he will rightly come under serious pressure.  He knows that too and has said as much.  And I wouldn't have it any other way.  We all want what's best for Aston Villa Football Club.  I currently think that's Steve Bruce but as soon as I don't think that, then I'll want him out too.

Good post.  The difference between me and you is that I am not confident he will get us promoted next year.   It's possible. He might.   But basing it on what he's done here so far... (rather than your focus on what he has done elsewhere, before) it looks to me to be mid-table results are much more likely.  

The question I think, is which is more compelling:  Older history at other places, or more recent history here?  (admittedly stated with my own bias showing)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DJ_Villain said:

If he can get Small Heath and Hull both promoted twice on poxy budgets, I have faith he can do the same with us.
Its been a big transitional season with almost an entirely new squad purchased in both windows - We have a lot of dross still kicking about and almost an entire first team of players who might still be useful out on loan.

Its worth giving the guy a shot at next season, he is a veteran in this league. He was putting out fires to start with, made some of the changes he wanted to make and the work continues from there... To kick him out now and get another manager in who could do a Di Matteo would be, in my opinion, a kneejerk reaction

He didn't even get us in the top ten, even with the aid of a few  million, so don't hold your breath .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NottingVilla said:

Chelsea and Real Madrid don't mess about with their managers and it doesn't do them any harm. And before someone says the obvious, in monetary terms, we are a Chelsea/Real Madrid of this league.

Rolling out excuses and cliches about needing time to gel and build his own team is a load of old bollocks.

We should have been walking these league.

You may argue the disparity between a top level player in the Premiership or La Liga vs the rest would be much greater a top level Championship player vs the rest , but not to the extent of mediocrity we've shown, surely?

SB seems a bit of  soft touch to me, we need someone to grab the club via the balls. 

Someone to put us on the front foot, attack minded and  a willingness to entertain . Thats how I want Aston Villa to be .

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Someone to put us on the front foot, attack minded and  a willingness to entertain . Thats how I want Aston Villa to be .

Who?

2 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Surprise me .

You surprise me and actually answer it. You have such a clear idea of how you want us to play, you must have an idea of who could get us playing that way.

13 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

You surprise me and actually answer it. You have such a clear idea of how you want us to play, you must have an idea of who could get us playing that way.

I'd call it more a desire or a wish ,to see us playing that way . And I make no apologies for that . So why are you so hung up on the question of who ? Whoever can instill those qualities in to the team , that's who . Are you implying that there isn't a manager out there who could do a better job than Bruce ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NottingVilla said:

Chelsea and Real Madrid don't mess about with their managers and it doesn't do them any harm. And before someone says the obvious, in monetary terms, we are a Chelsea/Real Madrid of this league.

You could say that, since the departure of Lambert, Villa have not exactly "messed about" with their managers either: Sherwood 28 matches - sacked; Garde 23 matches - sacked; Di Matteo 12 matches - sacked.

It doesn't seem to have produced stellar results for us, so maybe, just maybe, there are one or two other factors in Chelsea and Real's success other than their ruthless treatment of managers?

• Like 2

On 5/2/2017 at 22:23, DCJonah said:

But these players seemed to be capable of it just weeks before joining Bruce. Hogan seemed to score goals for fun before Bruce, now barely touches the ball. 

How did Benteke score for us and not for Liverpool......and now he is doing it for CP.

thats football.......its about blending, but you have to have the players to do it.

Edited by TRO

15 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

I agree, he wouldn't want us to play long balls but the way he has set the team up there is pretty much no alternative that is going to happen.

We sit so deep, have no width, when a player like Hutton gets the ball, who is he going to pass it to?  There is only one out come as I mentioned, there will be no space nor width to complete the pass.  So easy to defend against.

I think when the summer transfer window opens,a few more answers to our speculative questions ,will be answered.

Despite January's dip, i think he now realises he had weaknesses, he was at first dubious of.....now he knows....those weaknesses have effected the balance of the team.

summer will reveal all.

we will be in the shake up at the end of the season.....but it won't be this team.

Edited by TRO

Â