Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Does he rotate with Tues in mind? With our squad he should but he will be crucified if he doesnt win!

Who would be a manager hey?

[For the record id consider resting Albert, he isn't  playing that well and it could do some good. Put pace in there though.. .kodge or grabban. ]

2 hours ago, Nigel said:

Does he rotate with Tues in mind? With our squad he should but he will be crucified if he doesnt win!

[For the record id consider resting Albert, he isn't  playing that well and it could do some good. Put pace in there though.. .kodge or grabban. ]

Exactly. He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. Either way if we lose he will be lambasted.

I think whoever he intends to play in CDM against Cardiff doesn't start tomorrow. 

7 hours ago, TRO said:

wow....If I have my alignment right, I disagree.....but then I have no idea what I am disagreeing with.

I always thought football was not rocket science....11 players not much to over analyse.....you have proved me wrong on that.

just as a matter of interest, do you live near Cape Canaveral?

PS I was not comparing him with Pepe, just comparing that when Pepe looses emphatically ( that raises emotions), they don't blame him.....don't confuse the context.

pps so if I have read this correctly (and I doubt it very much) Managers with inferior players and who indulge in loosing quite a bit have a bucket load of alignment issues?

You’re right, you did not read it correctly. ;)

i live almost 18,000 miles from cape canaveral, why?

if your last question is serious.... one of the managers roles is to sign players that aren’t inferior.  Bruce has actually done quite well at that.  The manager has to get each piece in good shape AND get them all aligned.  It’s really not as complicated as you imply.  But it’s not as simple as get 11 good players and turn em loose, either.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Exactly. He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. Either way if we lose he will be lambasted.

I think whoever he intends to play in CDM against Cardiff doesn't start tomorrow. 

Yep I'd agree with that, plus the striker as neither position has been nailed down. But should he go further?

6 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

After watching Cardiff demonstrate their aerial, physical approach last night, I do think it has to be Jedi on Tuesday. Although we play better football at a higher tempo with Barney in there, him and CH are just too lacking in physicality and height to play vs Cardiff. Jedi did the trick vs Blues and pretty sure Bruce will do the same for Cardiff. Defo Barney today though - horses for courses. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nigel said:

He plays Thor today and jedinak tues. jedinak will be moe suited for tues night than today. Thor can do the bizzness today. 

I think we might see axel at rb today, hopefully not

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

He plays Thor today and jedinak tues. jedinak will be moe suited for tues night than today. Thor can do the bizzness today. 

I think we might see axel at rb today, hopefully not

Agree. If he plays Axel at RB, it is detrimental to Snodgrass's game.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I'm not a huge fan of rotation for roatation sake - the margin of error is decreasing with each passing game - I think he should pick what he thinks is the strongest team ( if he knows this ) and go with it - regardless of Cardiff. Confidence breeds confidence for me - so let's start by getting a good result today hopefully 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I'm not a huge fan of rotation for roatation sake - the margin of error is decreasing with each passing game - I think he should pick what he thinks is the strongest team ( if he knows this ) and go with it - regardless of Cardiff. Confidence breeds confidence for me - so let's start by getting a good result today hopefully 

We have seen what non rotation does...and that wasn't playing 5 games in 2 weeks.

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

We have seen what non rotation does...and that wasn't playing 5 games in 2 weeks.

I just feel that going into the last lap - stability and consistency are vital factors that can help us get over the line and sorry to repeat but confidence from winning football matches breeds confidence.

13 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I just feel that going into the last lap - stability and consistency are vital factors that can help us get over the line and sorry to repeat but confidence from winning football matches breeds confidence.

Do you think stability was the correct call against QPR? 

I agree with the principles definately however it has to be flexible and taken in context. 

Edited by Nigel

8 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

You’re right, you did not read it correctly. ;)

i live almost 18,000 miles from cape canaveral, why?

if your last question is serious.... one of the managers roles is to sign players that aren’t inferior.  Bruce has actually done quite well at that.  The manager has to get each piece in good shape AND get them all aligned.  It’s really not as complicated as you imply.  But it’s not as simple as get 11 good players and turn em loose, either.  

I didn't think Texas was 18,000 miles from Cape Canaveral.

cape canaveral is the centre for Rocket science......just me teasing.

back to football....I actually agree with your sentiment, but some managers put more emphasis on certain things than others.....some do the coaching themselves, some don't......Gary Neville once said referring to SAF...when asked what does he say before a game.....he said "sometimes he doesn't say anything"

I think we can all make it a bit more complicated than it is in reality.

just remember, people are making a good living out of analytical debate, so there is vested interest in it.

I understand what you are implying now.....its got merit.....but as you know, i am more for players being fired up and up for the physical challenge, allied to their footballing skills.

I am a great believer in the old saying made famous by Bill Shankly " You have to win the RIGHT to play football"

That is central to my opinions on football......you need both, one without the other leaves a team short imo.

Edited by TRO

Seems Bruce has no idea if he will be here next season yet -

“The one thing they (the players) all realise is if we’re in the big league, they’ve got more of a chance for the future than this league, for obvious reasons,” he said.

“I’ve been open and honest with them by not entering into anything (contract discussions) apart from with the younger players, who I believe are the future of the club.

“It was very important to secure their future.

“Everyone else, we’re all in the same boat.

“If we get into the big league, we’ve got a bigger pot and a better chance of earning a new contract.”

So what about his own future?

“I’ve never given it a thought, really, I haven’t,” he continued.

“Obviously it helps me if we go up.

“If we don’t, that’s for others to decide.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-boss-steve-bruce-14501383#ICID=ios_BMNewsApp_AppShare_Click_Other

13 minutes ago, TRO said:

back to football....I actually agree with your sentiment, but some managers put more emphasis on certain things than others.....some do the coaching themselves, some don't......Gary Neville once said referring to SAF...when asked what does he say before a game.....he said "sometimes he doesn't say anything"

just remember, people are making a good living out of analytical debate, so there is vested interest in it.

I understand what you are implying now.....its got merit.....but as you know, i am more for players being fired up and up for the physical challenge, allied to their footballing skills.

I am a great believer in the old saying made famous by Bill Shankly " You have to win the RIGHT to play football"

That is central to my opinions on football......you need both, one without the other leaves a team short imo.

Yeah, I figured the teasing, that's why I put  18K... sort of responding.

I think we're getting to the right sentiment.  I completely agree that players must be up for the physical challenge.  But I have listed several other big things that must be right as well (won't bother to re-list them because I think the ones listed are fairly obvious and because the list I gave isn't exhaustive.  

But just on players being up for the challenge.  I think it's a managers responsibility to field players that have been signed in part because they are strong pro's and assure that part themselves.... or if they don't have that, instill it in them, or don't play them.  McCormack MIGHT be example where Bruce did the latter.  But we can both point to many times this year when it at least appears he did not.  He has coaches to help of course, but the manager does not abdicate responsibilities because a "helper" he has hired and commissioned to act in his place, and that he supervises, is not getting it done.  But here we are focusing on one thing again.  But as you say even this one component gets very complex.  What is simple, is that all those complexities are the responsibility of the manager.  He should get credit when they are right.  He should get concerned about his employment when they are wrong.

6 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

Yeah, I figured the teasing, that's why I put  18K... sort of responding.

I think we're getting to the right sentiment.  I completely agree that players must be up for the physical challenge.  But I have listed several other big things that must be right as well (won't bother to re-list them because I think the ones listed are fairly obvious and because the list I gave isn't exhaustive.  

But just on players being up for the challenge.  I think it's a managers responsibility to field players that have been signed in part because they are strong pro's and assure that part themselves.... or if they don't have that, instill it in them, or don't play them.  McCormack MIGHT be example where Bruce did the latter.  But we can both point to many times this year when it at least appears he did not.  He has coaches to help of course, but the manager does not abdicate responsibilities because a "helper" he has hired and commissioned to act in his place, and that he supervises, is not getting it done.  But here we are focusing on one thing again.  But as you say even this one component gets very complex.  What is simple, is that all those complexities are the responsibility of the manager.  He should get credit when they are right.  He should get concerned about his employment when they are wrong.

Of course....fair comments.

16 hours ago, TRO said:

wow....If I have my alignment right, I disagree.....but then I have no idea what I am disagreeing with.

I always thought football was not rocket science....11 players not much to over analyse.....you have proved me wrong on that.

just as a matter of interest, do you live near Cape Canaveral?

PS I was not comparing him with Pepe, just comparing that when Pepe looses emphatically ( that raises emotions), they don't blame him.....don't confuse the context.

pps so if I have read this correctly (and I doubt it very much) Managers with inferior players and who indulge in loosing quite a bit have a bucket load of alignment issues?

I think I was diagnosed with alignment issues as a kid, tbh, I don't think they've gone away.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think people sometimes forget how hard Guardiola's side's work when they haven't  got the ball. They epitomize the Shankley quote.

Â