Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

3 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

Why was selling Baker baffling, he wasn’t very good! 

Because during Baker‘s career at Villa he had Okore, Richards, Lescott alongside him as well as the likes of Richardson & Cissohko along side him and no worthy DM (Sanchez, Westwood, Gardner) in front of him

Last season, maybe his level, he had Chester as a CB partner, Amavi, Taylor alongside him & Jedi as DM, and looked an effective player for us.

Richards, Elphick and Samba look and have looked awful. They are all now, in reverse order, our options while JT is out.

If it was a SB decision, or even just a „ok, he can go, we have adequate back up in Samba, Elphick & Richards“ then it was an almighty cock-up that will no doubt cost us dearly

Another thing to shudder at the very thought of.

Come May, and promotion is an out of reach dream we will have a possible squad of

GK Steer (SJ back at ManU or sold to a PL side)

RB - Hutton (new contract) & Elmo (Bree & RDL sold off)

CB - Samba, Elphick & Richards (Chester sold to PL club - JT loan ends)

LB - Thor No-one as Back up (Taylor is sold to PL team)

DM - Jedi & Whelan

RW - Elmo (Snod loan ends - Adomah sold back to Boro) no back up

CM - Thor & Lansbury (CH sold to PL team - Onomah loan ends)

LW - Green. no backup

AM - Grealish & McC

CF - Hogan & Flabby (contract renewed) JK sold - KD contract refused

Just imagine:

JS

Hutton Elphick Samba Thor

Elmo Whelan Jedi Green

Grealish

Gaby

Subs GK? Richards ? ? ? McC Hogan

5 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

Because during Baker‘s career at Villa he had Okore, Richards, Lescott alongside him as well as the likes of Richardson & Cissohko along side him and no worthy DM (Sanchez, Westwood, Gardner) in front of him

Last season, maybe his level, he had Chester as a CB partner, Amavi, Taylor alongside him & Jedi as DM, and looked an effective player for us.

Richards, Elphick and Samba look and have looked awful. They are all now, in reverse order, our options while JT is out.

If it was a SB decision, or even just a „ok, he can go, we have adequate back up in Samba, Elphick & Richards“ then it was an almighty cock-up that will no doubt cost us dearly

Everyone seems to have forgotten that Baker is a man, with a mouth and decision making skills. He was offered first team football at a place he was familiar with. He took it.

It's not Bruces fault the club had Elphick & Richards on the books, and from what we know it was very much the 11th hour that the Elphick deal fell through and replacement coming in.

Baker fills we with as much dread as Samba, Elphick & Richards anyway. He was a donkey with a lions heart.

So, was just speculating when this thread will get to 1250 pages.

Slightly tricky because during an international break there will be nothing actually to talk about.

Will that have an effect?

so Sat 18th, Sun 19th or Mon20th???

And what proportion of posts will be from a contributor whose name begins with G?

11 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

Elmo is not a natural defender

Bree & RDL are.

Just because they may be seen as natural rbs, does not mean they will be better there. For me elmo is doing good there, see no reason to move him just yet

4 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

So, was just speculating when this thread will get to 1250 pages.

Slightly tricky because during an international break there will be nothing actually to talk about.

Will that have an effect?

so Sat 18th, Sun 19th or Mon20th???

And what proportion of posts will be from a contributor whose name begins with G?

Well at least you‘re not disagreeing with what I posted :cheers:

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

Steve Bruce, Manager of Aston Villa Football Club.

Unbelievable Jeff!

I clicked like for this moment alone GH... Said in my head in the Kamara style!

The rest of your big post, I can agree with parts of it, but in some places I wonder if you had just had a row with your partner/missus etc? ;)

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, villan_007 said:

Everyone seems to have forgotten that Baker is a man, with a mouth and decision making skills. He was offered first team football at a place he was familiar with. He took it.  

true

It's not Bruces fault the club had Elphick & Richards on the books, and from what we know it was very much the 11th hour that the Elphick deal fell through and replacement coming in.  

correct

Baker fills we with as much dread as Samba, Elphick & Richards anyway. He was a donkey with a lions heart.

Did you not see him play last season?

He went to BristolC didnt he?

Are they above us despite him?

I remember when he played v us this season. He didn‘t hoof it once, he also had as good a game (if not better) than both Terry & Chester.

opinions and all that......

11 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

Another thing to shudder at the very thought of.

Come May, and promotion is an out of reach dream we will have a possible squad of

GK Steer (SJ back at ManU or sold to a PL side)

RB - Hutton (new contract) & Elmo (Bree & RDL sold off)

CB - Samba, Elphick & Richards (Chester sold to PL club - JT loan ends)

LB - Thor No-one as Back up (Taylor is sold to PL team)

DM - Jedi & Whelan

RW - Elmo (Snod loan ends - Adomah sold back to Boro) no back up

CM - Thor & Lansbury (CH sold to PL team - Onomah loan ends)

LW - Green. no backup

AM - Grealish & McC

CF - Hogan & Flabby (contract renewed) JK sold - KD contract refused

Just imagine:

JS

Hutton Elphick Samba Thor

Elmo Whelan Jedi Green

Grealish

Gaby

Subs GK? Richards ? ? ? McC Hogan

I'll address all the 'sold to PL team'  initially...if we don't go up, are you that convinced that a PL team would take a punt on any of our players?

GK - agree

RB - would have no problem with new contract for hutton based on recent performances; bree i am not convinced about so happy to get rid; not sure why RDL would be sold?

CB - is terry on loan? i thought we had him on a free. in any case, as long as he's not playing against chelsea, why wouldnt he stay?

LB - hutton proven he can be backup

CM - agree re: onomah; see earlier point on CH

RW - snod wants a move, we will likely try and get him on a permanent deal; and why would we sell adomah to a fellow championship rival?

LW - snod, adomah, and grelish can play LW

AM - same as LW

CF - think KD will sign new deal; JK most likely to go so will need cover

34 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

I'll address all the 'sold to PL team'  initially...if we don't go up, are you that convinced that a PL team would take a punt on any of our players?

GK - agree

RB - would have no problem with new contract for hutton based on recent performances; bree i am not convinced about so happy to get rid; not sure why RDL would be sold?

CB - is terry on loan? i thought we had him on a free. in any case, as long as he's not playing against chelsea, why wouldnt he stay?

RW - snod wants a move, we will likely try and get him on a permanent deal; and why would we sell adomah to a fellow championship rival?

AM - same as LW

admittedly that was a worst case.....

but we‘ve seen how players can make a mass exodus before.

For example - what if Moyes wants Snodgrass back from loan? that would really mess us up.

by your theory Hutton would be playing RB & LB.

long and short of it is

We are not in a position to get promoted with what we‘ve got. So how are we going to achieve it with

1- losing some of our better player

2- ffp limiting our (over-)spending

?

2 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

admittedly that was a worst case.....

but we‘ve seen how players can make a mass exodus before.

For example - what if Moyes wants Snodgrass back from loan? that would really mess us up.

by your theory Hutton would be playing RB & LB.

long and short of it is

We are not in a position to get promoted with what we‘ve got. So how are we going to achieve it with

1- losing some of our better player

2- ffp limiting our (over-)spending

?

Gh ,just a little something to lighten the tone . 

I'm coming out of shop in Droitwhich,today . Who do I see coming towards me ? Only the fastest winger to ever walk the earth ,yeah ,who else ,but , Tony Daley . I'm like , " tell me that's our Tony ,from back in the day " he's like , " it sure is " . The crazy thing is, he looks like he could play now ,that's how well he looked .

The gutting thing is ,I was so overawed, that I forgot to get a photo ,and by the time it came into my thick swede ,he'd gone . I did ask him if he still bleeds Claret and Blue, " of course " was his reply , silly question really ,especially to an Astonian.  What a legend .

• Like 2

BRUCE DEMENTIA FEARS 

Aston Villa boss Steve Bruce to undergo test for signs of dementia after heading footballs during 20-year playing career

EXCLUSIVE
By Ken Lawrence
8th November 2017, 11:44 pm
Updated: 9th November 2017, 4:34 am

STEVE BRUCE is ready to undergo tests for signs of dementia.

The Aston Villa boss was renowned for his often bloody bravery in both boxes as a centre-half.

Now, alerted by fears expressed by Alan Shearer over the dangers of heading the ball, Bruce accepts he should have doctors examine him.

Bruce, 56 - who made 926 appearances over two decades for Manchester United, Norwich, Gillingham and Birmingham - said: “Luckily I never had to head one of the old, heavy balls.

“But I was always getting head wounds. And when I think about it I reckon I should get myself checked out.

“There is a point to be proved over this issue because while we as managers get checked out for stuff like blood pressure or heart rate there are no checks for dementia.”

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/4874363/aston-villa-steve-bruce-heading-footballs/

Must resist urge to make bad jokes...

Edited by sne
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, villan_007 said:

Samba's a donkey with a donkeys heart.

6 hours ago, tomav84 said:

GK - agree

AM - same as LW

Doesn't exactly fill one with optimism, does it ?

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I see there's talk of players we will lose if we don't get promoted. I accept if no promotion this year we are in this league for several years. Complete rebuild will be needed starting with tha manager and coaching staff. 

why wait till the end of the season?

We should start the rebuild now

Â